It’s finally summer time and you are probably ready to have some fun in the sun! If you are anything like me, you are likely trying to soak up every bit of summer because before you know it, winter will be here again. I love biking, taking long walks, swimming, or spending all day at amusement parks during the summer months. All of these activities are great for my mind, body and soul, but wreck havoc on delicate tresses if they are not properly cared for. It’s just as important to take extra precaution in the summer’s sun as it is in the harsh winter’s frigid weather. Many people don’t realize that the sun dries out the hair and may leave it brittle if it’s not properly and regularly moisturized; remember, just because there’s humidity in the air, doesn’t mean there’s automatically moisture in your hair. Here are some tips to keep your hair healthy and flourishing during these wonderful summer months.
- Keep your hair protected by wearing buns, extensions, or twists to avoid total exposure to sun
- If you are planning to stay in the sun for long periods of time, use a protective sunscreen on your hair before stepping out. Be sure to wash the hair afterwards.
- Stay away from heating appliances such as flat-iron, hot combs, or curling irons. If you MUST use them, be sure to use a heat protectant .
- Do not wash your hair with hot water; this will dry out the hair. Use cool water instead.
- Avoid using products containing alcohol, mineral oil, paraffin gel and other ingredients that lead to dry brittle hair. Natural products do not contain these harsh ingredients
- Moisturize your hair daily. Use a light misting spray or natural moisturizer regularly.
- Always use a moisturizing shampoo that does not contain lauryl/laureth sulfate
- Deep condition your hair after each shampoo.
- Drink plenty of water to help keep yourself and your hair hydrated.
- If your hair is natural, moisturize your hair at night and sleep with a plastic cap under your scarf in order to allow the moisture to penetrate your hair.
- Chlorine causes severe dryness to your hair. So it is recommended that before swimming dampen your hair or apply conditioner. This reduces the absorption of chlorine. Also, after swimming, use a clarifying shampoo to wash off the chlorine residues on your hair.
If you follow these simple rules you will be able to enjoy the sun and enjoy your hair!
More from entertainment