Why I Love My DIY Handsoap
After reading Julie Gabriel’s book Green Beauty recipes I felt empowered to take control of my personal care products! Although there are a few pump hand soaps on the market that are pretty eco friendly, I decided to skip the hassle and just make my own.
This recipe is not actually in her book, the information that I learned from reading the book left me pretty confident that I could whip up my own soap. Oh and I do realize that bar soap is the superior green choice, because of the obvious packaging in pump soap. In my case, if I don’t have a soap that is fun to use, the chance that my kids will skip washing all together goes way up.
Here are the 6 steps I took:
- Got my hands on a bottle that was self foaming, as my recipe wouldn’t foam much on it’s own.
- Filled it about 1/2 full or slightly more with hot water. (To melt coconut oil-or pre melt oil)
- Threw in about a tsp of coconut oil, shake to disolve.
- Filled the rest of the way with lavender castille soap.
- Replaced the cover.
- Shake Shake Shake
Sometimes my random creations turn out pretty bad, I’m sure my husband and kids will back me up on that… but I am very impressed with this one! Here is why:
- It smells great, of course you could replace the lavender castille with another like almond or go scent free and add a few drops of your own fav. essential oil.
- It doesn’t leave my hands feeling dried out like those other (triclosan rich) soaps. My hands feel pretty good!
- The self foaming pump makes my kids want to use it. Anything that helps me fight the germ and stickiness battle that I am constantly having with my childrens hands and is eco friendly is a great thing!
- I reused a bottle, saving on packaging.
- I spent about $1-$2 on it. Woo-hoo!
A Triclosan side note
Today I recived an e-mail stating that The EPA has extended the comment period (to support banning triclosan) through April 8, so if you haven’t yet, please submit your comments in support of a triclosan ban today!
Also worth checking out are these great triclosan articles