Easy Aloe Vera Skin Care Recipes

6 years ago

Aloe Vera is commonly used in skin care products because it offers so many benefits. It can soften, soothe, and hydrate and has the ability to penetrate deep into the layers of the skin to promote cell regeneration. Additionally it has both antiseptic and antibiotic properties which makes it highly effective in treating skin irritations such as cuts, burns, eczema, and sunburns and will also relieve the itch from poison oak, poison ivy and poison sumac.

The active ingredients in Aloe Vera are quite remarkable. Although the plant is 96% water, the remaining 4% contains active ingredients such as seven amino acids, minerals and vitamins (A, C, E, B, B12, Folic Acid) and enzymes. The Vitamins A, C, and E contain antioxidants, which are why they are so widely used in skin care.

Another reason Aloe Vera is used so heavily in the cosmetic industry is because very few people are allergic to this wonderful plant. However, as with any new product a patch test is recommended. To do a patch test, break off a small portion of the plant and apply a small amount to the inside of wrist, wait 24 hours to see if there is any indication of an allergic reaction.

Growing your own Aloe Vera is recommended. They are a hardly plant and easy to care for. In many households, they are often grown on windowsills so that the wondrous properties of the plant are always available. Store bought gels, although effective, will never compare to the effectiveness of a freshly cut leaf. This is due in fact to the time that has elapsed from harvest to the final product and display.
If you decide on purchasing your Aloe Vera gel, read the label to ensure that it is 100% pure.

Below are some easy Aloe Vera skin care recipes:

Aloe Vera Moisturizer
Mix together 1 tablespoon olive oil, and gel from one large leaf Aloe Vera plant. Apply a light layer every evening for a deep penetrating moisturizer. Keep unused portion in refrigerator for up to three days.

Oily Skin Facial Mask
1 teaspoon green clay
1 teaspoon Aloe Vera gel
1 teaspoon Witch Hazel
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Mix all ingredients to make a paste. Apply to face and let set for 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water then cool water.

Softening Face Scrub
1 Tablespoon Aloe Vera gel
1 teaspoon honey
2 Tablespoon finely ground oatmeal or cornmeal
Mix all ingredients and massage into skin. Rinse with warm water then cool water.

 

Carol Belanger, author of 300+ Skin Care Recipes

Visit Complete Skin Care Therapy for more skin care recipes

This is an article written by a member of the SheKnows Community. The SheKnows editorial team has not edited, vetted or endorsed the content of this post. Want to join our amazing community and share your own story? Sign up here.
comments

More from beauty-style

Beauty & Style
by Ruby Buddemeyer | 3 days ago
Beauty & Style
by STYLECASTER | 8 days ago
Beauty & Style
by STYLECASTER | 10 days ago
Beauty & Style
by Ruby Buddemeyer | 14 days ago
Beauty & Style
by STYLECASTER | 18 days ago
Beauty & Style
by Ruby Buddemeyer | 19 days ago
Beauty & Style
by Merrick White | 23 days ago
Beauty & Style
by Ivy Boyd | a month ago
Beauty & Style
by Kara Endres | a month ago
Beauty & Style
by Ruby Buddemeyer | a month ago
Beauty & Style
by Lauren Caruso | a month ago