Fighting acne is as simple as 1 2 3.....4 and 5!
Acne can happen anytime in your life and unfortunately a majority of my clients that I see for acne are older women who are dealing with wrinkles and acne. It's just not fair and quite frustrating however "No need to fear cause Underdog is here!"
Oh wow! That is a very old flashback and is definitely showing my age! Let's try this again shall we....ahem....."No need to fear cause the Esthetic Goddess is here!"
Super Susie to the skin care rescue!!
Here a 5 tips you can implement into your life to banish those ding-dang blemishes.
1) Exfoliate your skin every 3-4 days and no more then that. Exfoliating any more than this and your are exasperating your acne. Exfoliating is an important part of your skin care regime whether you have acne or not. It removes dead skin cells, dirt, and oil that can clog pores causing acne. Your skin needs a few days to regenerate before you exfoliate again.
If you have anything with bits and beads in it don't use it on your face. You can use that type of exfoliator on your body. To often peeps rub to hard with scrubs which will do a few things....bad things to your face!
This is THE worst thing you can use on your face! If you have some of this in your home promise me you will only use it on your feet!!
Scrubbing to hard on your face can and often will:
*Spread the acne bacteria around worsen acne.
*Thin the skin, aging it faster!!! This is a Goddess no-no! My job is to help you and I fight aging which is also why my Super Susie costume comes in rather handy!
*Those bits in the scrub can cause micro tearing in your skin. Not visible to the naked eye but too much tearing and the next thing you know you have a lot of hyperpigmentation on your face and then you have to come see me for acne, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation!
I like chemical exfoliators for the face. My fave is Bioelements Kerafole. This is an enzyme based exfoliator that I have used on myself and my clients for over 10 years now. Put a thin layer on after you cleanse your face and leave it on for 10 minutes. The enzymes eat the dead cells off. The mask quits working after 10 minutes so this product kind of thinks for you. Bonus!
2) Only wash your face 2 x's a day. I know it is temping to wash it more but it will only make the acne angry and you are trying to calm it down. Skin can't heal properly if you keep fiddling with it.
3) Hands off! Be aware of your habits. Do you sit with your chin in your hand at your desk and notice that is where your acne is concentrated? Is your phone attached to the side of your face where breakouts are prominent? The more you touch your face where the acne is the more you feed the bacteria the more the acne will worsen.
4) Less is more. If you have read any of my previous post them you know I heart Retin A (Trentinoin) for wrinkles as well as acne. I of course think that is the best thing to use for both of these skin conditions but if you don't have it and are using a product that has salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide in it for your blemishes then don't mix and match a bunch of different products. Pick one. Make sure you are using just a basic cleanser like Cetaphil. Too many acne products will over dry your skin and (Say it with me class.) make it worse. Are you starting to see a pattern here? You need to be gentle when it comes to dealing with acne.
5) This is the most important thing I can tell you about acne. No matter what your age, whether you are 15 or 50 years old, acne is always a sign of a hormone imbalance in the body. You can actually get at acne 80% by taking the correct supplement and 20% by applying the correct topical product.
I first found this supplement when I started having hot flashes. It stopped my hot flashes in their tracks in a short period of time. It's called Diindolylmethane (DIM) and is made from broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and brussels sprouts. DIM removes the bad estrogen we get from or environment and food source. Acne can be an indication that you have too much Xenoestrogen in your body and this supplment will get rid of it. It is for any age not just us perimenopausal babes. Men and women can both take this for acne. You can read more about DIM here.
So tell me....
What have you found works for your acne?
Will you stop/start exfoliating your face?
Do you own and wear a superhero costume?
Till next time. have a beautiful skin day! Your Esthetic Goddess, Susie