As the temperature plummets, it’s time for a change in your skincare routine.
According to Dr. Neal Schultz, a top NYC dermatologist, in the warmer months, the humidity is higher so your skin is less likely to dry out, but when the cooler weather hits, dry air causes moisture to evaporate from you skin. Luckily, there are several things you can do to combat the harsh weather.
- Hydrate – this seems completely obvious when you think about it, but most people aren’t getting enough water. Whitney Tabor, the manager of Spa Perchanga in Temecula, California, recommends paying extra attention to the amount of water you’re taking in because the skin, which is our largest organ, needs enough water to function at its best.
- Smoothies – one of the yummiest ways to hydrate this winter is with morning smoothies. A frozen Acai smoothie can further help promote younger, smoother skin due to its high content of healthy omegas and antioxidants. A recipe using Sambazon pure unsweetened packs from famed nutritionist, Kimberly Snyder, can be found here and is the perfect way to start the day.
- Shorter Showers – Another easy way to improve winter skin is by limiting shower times. Dr. Schultz recommends also avoiding super hot showers (as tempting as it is after a chilly day to want to take a long, hot shower).
- Linens – It’s worth investing in a quality washcloth that’s gentile on dry skin. Ahgoobaby makes an incredibly soft, organic bamboo set that’s hypoallergenic and 100% natural – perfect to have around for you and any little ones.
- Body Scrub – While most people hear skincare and think face, it's so important to remember to show the rest of your skin some love too. Personally, Bubblepop Sexy the Natural Way Face and Body Scrub is my absolute favorite. Not only is it 70% organic, it uses natural ingredients such as bamboo, aloe vera, and raspberries to heal dry skin and draw out any toxins.
- Wash Your Hands Right – With winter comes the dreaded flu seasons, sniffles, and coughs so typically people increase how often they wash their hands and stock up on hand sanitizer, but that can lead to dry, cracked hands. Without splurging too much, I found Soapbox Vanilla and Lily Blossom liquid hand soap and it is AMAZING. Packed with natural nourishing ingredients and oils, this soap lessens the toll the extra hand washing takes on your skin.
- Mask on the Moisture – Frank Body makes entire sleep mask kit that’s easy to use, hydrating, and caffeinated (to clear up any puffiness). The mask itself takes 5 minutes – can you say simple bed time ritual? And the eye mask will help promote some screen free “booty sleep.”
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize – for anyone who knows me or my writing, I’m sure you saw this one coming. It’s ultra-important to keep the delicate skin on your face hydrated. Lately I’ve been loving the Rapid Repair Facial Moisturizer from Dermelect. Another natural ingredient product (can you see a theme yet) that hydrates, smooths, and plumps up skin – all good things in my book!
- All About the Eyes – Eyes and eyelids are where some of our most sensitive skin resides so paying extra attention to those areas is important year-round, but especially during the cooler months. I’ve been adding Pharmagel’s Complexe Eye Beauté® eye pads to my morning routine. I slip them on for five minutes before jumping out of bed (yay, finally a good reason to hit snooze on chilly mornings) and the plant based ingredients soothe puffiness and tiredness so I’m ready to face the day.
- Don’t Forget the Lips – Aside from carrying chapstick around, lips can sometimes go neglected in the winter months. WunderKiss Esstential Lip Scrub is a great product to work into your beauty routine to help moisturize and exfoliate your lips, keeping them kissable for babe and boys alike.
- Add Oil – Oils are super trendy right now in the beauty world, which seems strange because so many people are constantly battling oily skin and hair, but Le Prunier makes a great, vegan and cruelty free, plum beauty oil that you can apply directly to your skin, hair, and nails or mix with your favorite body lotion or moisturizer for added hydration.
BONUS TIP: Exfoliate to get rid of dead and dry skin cells. Investing in an at home microdermabrasion device, such at the Personal Microderm is such a good idea this time of year. You know you're getting top notch skin care, but you can do it in only a few minutes in your pjs.
Winter skin care forces changes in beauty routines, but it also gives you a few reasons to treat yourself by the fire in your pjs so it’s all good by me.
More from beauty-style