The Dyson V6 Animal vacuum cleaner is another installment of the Dyson V6 series—a set of 10 cordless yet surprisingly powerful Dyson hand-held vacuums. As with other Dyson hand-held units, the majority of the weight of the vacuum is located close to the handle, which gives great mobility. But with the V6 Animal, that weight is a total of 4.96 pounds! That makes it tremendously maneuverable for going around furniture, and suitable for vacuuming curtains and hard-to-reach locations, as well as the standard jobs of vacuuming floors and carpets.
What makes the Dyson V6 Animal so powerful? It has a "digital" brushless V6 motor--a motor with electronic circuits emitting digital pulses to control the rotor's revolutions, so that it can spin as much as 110,000 revolutions per minute. It is especially effective on picking up pet hair—whether in your car, furniture, or home--hence the name "Animal". The V6 Animal boasts 75% more power than the Dyson V6 model.
Here are some pros and cons of the Dyson V6 Animal:
- Lightweight: The entire Dyson V6 Animal weighs less than 5 pounds. Most of the weight is located in the hand-held section, making it easy to raise high enough to get hard-to-reach places.
- Long wand: It has a very long but lightweight aluminum wand, connecting the handle to the vacuum cleaner head. The vacuum’s total weight is 5 pounds, and most of the weight is concentrated in the handle. That makes it easy to raise the long wand, to clean high and hard-to-reach objects. You detach the wand, and it converts into a hand-held vacuum.
- Trigger operation: All of the vacuums in the Dyson V6 series operate by means of a trigger mechanism. The advantage here is that, since it is battery-powered, you don't want that precious battery power to go to waste. So the vacuum will only operate for as long as you keep your finger on the trigger. (That also presents a disadvantage, as we'll see later.)
- Wall mount recharging unit: There is a wall mount that you must attach yourself. But this is an added convenience: It gives you a place to dock the vacuum, as well as recharge it at the same time. If you prefer, the Dyson V6 Animal can be attached directly to the wall current to recharge it.
- Washable filter: The Dyson V6 has a washable filter that should be cleaned around 1 time per month (depending on use). That saves you the trouble of having to replace the filter periodically. After rinsing, let it dry completely before putting it back into the vacuum.
- Easy transition from hardwood to carpet: There are two power settings on the Dyson V6 Animal: regular, and Turbo. The regular setting will be sufficient for flat surfaces, such as hardwood or linoleum. Put on the Turbo setting when you want to vacuum a thick, plush carpet.
- Converts easily to hand-held: Easily converts from stick vacuum into a hand-held unit for cleaning tight areas. You simply detach the wand, and it's a hand-held unit.
- Long reach: Compact wand lets you get underneath furniture, so you don't have to exert yourself in moving all of your furniture to do a thorough job cleaning in back of or under beds, sofas, or armchairs.
- Easy to assemble and operate: The attachments click into place. When you want to change attachments, just press the button to release the previous attachment. As mentioned before, it has a trigger operation, which is simple to use.
- Powerful suction: People are impressed by the amount that the Dyson can pick up, even after having vacuumed with another brand of vacuum cleaner. It also works well on hardwood floors and linoleum, although customers notice that it only picks up perhaps 90% of debris on flat surfaces.
- Attachments: The attachments that come with the Dyson V6 Animal all store away on the vacuum's docking station. This allows you to switch attachments with ease while you go through your house. The standard brush attachment is motorized, to remove pet hair and ground-in dirt. There is also an extension hose, as well as a power brush that is special for vacuuming upholstery. The attachments also swivel, to allow negotiating around furniture and other obstacles. There is also a crevice tool and a smaller brush for your car or upholstery. There is a soft bristle brush for delicate jobs like vacuuming electronics, such as your computer keyboard.
- Fatigue: Since you have to hold down the trigger at all times for the vacuum to work, it might cause your hand to become tired when vacuuming for extended periods of time. But the maximum battery life is around 20 minutes, which is usually sufficient to vacuum entire rooms--so you won't have to hold the trigger down more than that.
- Long charge-up time: The biggest complaint that people have about the Dyson V6 Animal is the short operation time when the device's battery is fully charged. It takes around 3 hours to charge the Li-Ion battery, but it will run for no more that 20 minutes. There is also a high power turbo setting, which it can operate at for 6 minutes before requiring recharging. Operating the vacuum for 20 minutes should be enough to vacuum two rooms in your house—so expect to recharge the battery to vacuum other parts of the house.
- Problems emptying the bin: You have to remove the extended wand to empty the bin. Also, some found the emptying mechanism a bit tricky. Also, the vacuum will stop working if the filter gets clogged or if the dirt bin fills up. So it's important to empty the bin regularly. The best practice is to empty the bin and clean the filter after every use.
Who Will It Suit the Best:
- Pet owners: The target audience for the Dyson V6 Animal is pet owners whose pets shed a lot of hair. But there's an added advantage: If you're a cat owner, you're probably familiar with your cat kicking out pieces of litter from their litter box. The Dyson V6 is effective in picking those up as well. (Some cat owners complained that rival vacuums tend to propel the small pieces of litter in all different directions—but the Dyson's superior suction is able to vacuum them up.)
- Vacuuming stairs: If you have a house with carpeted stairs, it might be a challenge vacuuming those stairs. Standing an upright vacuum on a set of stairs is a tricky business—the upright might tip over, causing serious damage. But a Dyson V6 Animal is perfect for such narrow areas—being cordless and weighing less than 5 pounds, you shouldn't have any problem taking it up or down stairs.
- People with small apartments: If you have limited space in your apartment, the Dyson V6 Animal is perfect for you. It packs away conveniently, together with all the attachments. It also has features to help maneuver easily even in tight spaces.