Vacuuming the house doesn’t have to be a chore. In fact, the right vacuum can actually turn a relatively boring, routine Sunday afternoon project into a fun time! Kick on some music, throw on some sweatpants and let’s discuss the top cordless vacuum cleaners on the market and figure out what the best one for you would be! Ready?
So what exactly is a “cordless vacuum cleaner” and why should I care?
Cordless vacuum cleaner is a pretty vague category, right? Generally speaking, a “wireless vacuum cleaner” is exactly that - a vacuum cleaner without a cord that you end up running over or dragging behind you while trying to clean your bedroom or the living room.
If you have a dog or a cat, and you are constantly fighting with their fur, be sure to checkout our review over best vacuum cleaners for pet hair.
What different types of cordless vacuums are there?
There are few different types of cordless vacuum cleaners out there, but the top cordless vacuum cleaners normally fall into one of two categories. Let’s discuss! They are:
Cordless handheld: Wireless handhelds are normally thought of as the back-up or spot cleaning vacuum, as they lack the surface area of a more traditional vacuum cleaner to do a full, over-all, deep carpet cleaning. They tend to have slightly higher power and suction than a traditional vacuum cleaner, however, just compacted into a smaller surface area.
Cordless stick: Wireless stick vacuums look a lot more like the type of vacuums we all grew up with! They generally offer multiple modes of cleaning for different surface areas - hardwood, different thicknesses of carpet, etc. They also generally tend to be more lightweight than a corded vacuum cleaner which makes them a lot easier for especially younger and elderly people to be able to operate.
How does a Cordless vacuum get its power?
No matter the type of wireless vacuum you choose, they all run on some sort of battery pack. For the majority of vacuums, this is a lithium ion battery but they have been made with other types (generally nickel based) batteries before as well. The general standard is lithium ion due to the length of time they hold their charge and the amount of power you get out of them, combined with the relatively short amount of charging time. And yes, you will have to “charge” your vacuum between uses. Think of it as a cell phone - the batteries are very similar and the work essentially the exact same way! If you’re interested in more information, this article from Battery University explains why lithium ion batteries are, in fact, the ideal!
What should I consider when I purchase a cordless vacuum?
- What are you planning on using it for? : First and foremost, look at what you intend to use it for! Obviously, you’ll use a handheld versus a stick vacuum much differently. It’s good to take into account the surface area, the type of surface and the amount of power you’ll need in relation to your needs.
- Budget : We’ll discuss a few brands and types of top cordless vacuums later, but make sure you decide what your budget is to narrow down your search.
- Weight : This may sound silly, but if the vacuum will be used mostly by a child or someone who is elderly or has other physical issues, the weight of the vacuum itself should absolutely be taken into account.
- Attachments : Although optional, if you’re planning on using your wireless vacuum to clean under the fridge or between couch cushions, attachments are a must.
- Reviews and ratings : Products with the most reviews and the highest star ratings tend to be the best on the market. There is something to be said about crowd sourcing your decision making! Read the reviews!
What are some of the top brands of cordless vacuum cleaners?
When looking for a new vacuum, it’s important to focus on the most reputable and well-known brands. Coincidentally, these are often the brands that offer the best value and warranties!
- Black and Decker : One of the most trusted American made brands on the market with a nearly 100-year history. Its slogan is Honest. Intuitive. Involved. Thoughtful. They currently produce the brands and subsidiaries DeWalt, Craftsman and Dust Buster, which is fairly well known across the country and the world. Although they started out with a simple electric drill, they also have done vacuums for many years. Currently headquartered in Maryland, they are worth around $965 million and employ 27,000 people.
- Shark : One of the relatively newer brands on the market, Shark was created in Canada in 1995. They pride themselves on unique and affordable products for everyone! One of their first products was the sewing machine, but they have since branched out into blenders (under their Ninja subsidiary) among other products.
- Dirt Devil : Also founded over 100 years ago, this Ohio founded brand has always been at the forefront of creative vacuum designs. Well known for their slogans like “Nothing escapes the power of the Dirt Devil” and “Let’s Go,” they have a great marketing team and an excellent brand reputation.
- Euly : Based on Innovated. Intuitive. Impactful. this Chinese brand was formerly known as Anker and has provided quality vacuums (as well as robot vacuums) since 2011. They sell many types of consumer products and aren’t quite as well known in the US.
Reviews of the Best 5 Top Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
Now that you’ve really taken a look at the way wireless vacuum cleaners work, as well as evaluate your planned usage, budget, and weight preference, let’s take a peek at what are currently being considered the top 5 cordless vacuum cleaners on the market right now!
Conclusion : So which one should I buy?
And the winner is…. (insert drum roll here)... The Black+Decker BDH2000PL MAX Lithium Pivot Vacuum, 20-volt. It’s the perfect companion to a traditional vacuum with a long battery life, powerful suction, great ratings and multiple attachments to get into tough to access areas a traditional vacuum can’t go! You won’t be disappointed. It also comes with great brand name recognition and a great warranty, although you shouldn’t expect this vacuum to break down anytime soon!