Add A Little Flair
To Old Boots
If you’re bored with your old boots, you can give them a new lease on life by adding pretty lace, leftover fabric and beads for a cute and unique look to suit your personality.
Instead of investing in a new pair of shoes, recycling is more fun and good for the environment too. The boots can be decorated in a few quick and easy steps with materials you already own.
- A pair of ankle boots
- Fabric of your choice (I used a feather print cotton and stretchy lace)
- A strong clear glue, preferably an epoxy or Araldite-based glue
- Two belts
- Leather string
- Chain, jump rings and small pendants
- Cut two long strips of cotton and lace. These need to be long enough to go all the way around the boot.
- Your cotton strip needs to be thinner than your lace.
- Pin your fabric around your boot and cut the excess fabric off.
- Do the same with your lace.
Sew each of your long strips of fabric together to form a round loop, and repeat this step with the lace.
Arrange your lace and cotton around your boot. Once this is done, you can add a small amount of glue to the inside of your fabric to attach it to the boot. Only use a very small amount of glue to avoid having it seep through your fabric.
Stuff your boot with some tissue paper or fabric (I used an old tea towel). This needs to be done before you attach your belts to ensure your belts are not too tight in order for your feet to slip into the boots comfortably.
This step is optional. I chose to decorate my boots with chain and feather pendants as well as feathers and beads attached to leather string (the latter will go through the loop of the boots at the top). Attach your belts to your boots and carefully add glue to the inside of your belts once they are positioned on your boot. Do not use too much glue (this will ensure that the glue stays behind the belts and does not overflow or become visible). Allow them to dry for 48 hours.
Add your chain and feathers to your boots, and voila, you have a unique pair of boots.
DIY glittery heels
DIY starfish cuff bracelet
3 Ways to spruce up boring hangers