Busting mommy style myths

momLeave the mom look behind

You can be an awesome mom without sacrificing your style. With a little thought and effort, you can bust these mommy style myths.

Mommy myth: Moms look tired

Moms are tired, that's no myth. We don't have to look it, though! If you don't have time for a full face of makeup, apply mascara to brighten your eyes and lip gloss to brighten the rest of your face. Don't forget the under-eye concealer — it's a big must-have! You'll look wide awake and well-rested in seconds. Stash these items in your purse, car or diaper bag for quick applications when you need them.

New ways to brighten tired eyes >>

Mommy myth: The ponytail

Moms don't have a lot of time to get ready in the morning, but they have many more options than a boring ponytail!

If all you have is five minutes to do your hair, try a top knot, faux bob, low bun or braid. Leave the ponytail to your six-year-old!

Low-maintenance hairstyles >>

Mommy myth: The mom bag

Moms don't have to sport giant, carry-it-all purses. Keep all of your must-have items in a cute clutch.

It slides right down in a diaper bag when you've got the kiddos, and you can grab it and go when you get some time out on your own.

JeansMommy myth: The mom jeans

It's a fashion term that every new mom dreads: mom jeans. While these jeans do, in fact, exist, the need for them does not. Moms have unlimited options when it comes to jeans. The number of brands, styles, fits and colors available is enough to make your head spin. You want skinny jeans? Go ahead, mom, they're out there! You want bootcut jeans that aren't so high-waisted they touch your bra? We promise, you can find them!

Stylish jeans for moms >>

FlatsMommy myth: The sneakers

Let's face it. It's a common misconception that moms are frumpy from head to toe. Let's bust that myth from the bottom up, starting with the shoes! Sneakers are quick and comfy, but so are flats, and they're a whole lot cuter. Even better is that you can usually find flats at fairly low prices, so you can amass a nice collection in a short amount of time. Skip those sneakers and throw on a pair of flats — either shiny and black, patterned, or with a pop of bright color — to add a touch of fun to your wardrobe.

Look chic in your flats >>

QUIZ: Are your jeans the right fit? Take this quiz and find out.

More mommy style tips

Mommy star style envy
Best beauty products for moms
Cheap and stylish flats

Photo credit: WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Busting mommy style myths"

Wilson March 29, 2013 | 2:02 AM

If I'm a mom, why would I want to leave the mom look behind? Are you ashamed of your choice?

Winnie March 28, 2013 | 5:04 AM

First of all, thank you to the men! I am a mother of five (the oldest is an adult now, the rest are 7-14)... I wear ponytails alot. They are easy, they can look sleek, youthful, and they make ME feel youg and give me a spirit of ready to have a fun day! As, to Maxie, yes, I agree with you on the shoes! Not only do I wear a ponytail, but I personally hate flats. My look may not make the "chic" list, but I feel that with my ahtletic clothes, I am comfortable and energetic. This look is quick and easy. Logical for playing, running around with kids, and it contributes continually to reminding me that I need to stay fit, eat well, have fun with my kids, and not take my self/life too seriously.

Mrs. H. March 28, 2013 | 4:51 AM

Ponytails are right for some face shapes, not for others. Being a mom has nothing to do with it. The idea of putting all my essentials in a clutch is laughable beyond words, and I'm not even a mom. Large, colorful bags are fashionable--carry what you need; just be kind to your back and carry the lightest version of what you need. Those flat shoes are cute, but they'll kill your feet because they have no cushion or arch support. A mom toting a toddler and that roomy bag needs a supportive, cushioned shoe or she'll be spending a fortune at the podiatrist before she's 40. You might have to spend a little more for good shoes, but they'll last 3 times as long.

eastedie March 27, 2013 | 2:45 AM

I'm 68 and still wear a ponytail!

whattheheck March 27, 2013 | 1:48 AM

I agree, what is the child doing with that humongous tomato? Using a tomato for teething is kinda nuts???

Catherine March 27, 2013 | 12:54 AM

What's wrong with looking like a mom?

Modern Dad March 24, 2013 | 3:29 AM

I agree with many other men here: Ponytails are scrumptious, adorable, sweet---and on adult women, absolutely y beyond words. Yum. Please, females of all ages: Don't stop wearing the ponytail...I'm panting here. Seriously. We men love them...love them...love them. Always have and always will.

Ray Winn March 22, 2013 | 4:48 AM

I have to disagree with the "ditch the ponytail" advice. I LOVE to see ladies (of any age) in ponytails.

Ed March 18, 2013 | 12:02 AM

Why is that unholy hybrid of Pippi Longstocking and Betty page in the photo feeding her child a tomato?

Darg March 14, 2013 | 2:21 AM

"Mom jeans" exist for a reason - mom's have to bend over, kneel down, lift, twist and do so many other aerobics to take care of a new baby or toddler that the jeans have to be able to flex and give with that movement while still not cutting, digging or cinching off flesh and blood vessels. Sure, a new mom can wear skinny jeans, but good luck stooping down to tie a shoelace in those...

Jason March 13, 2013 | 4:21 AM

I love my wife's pony tail. It is youthful, y and easy for her to do in the morning.

Amanda March 13, 2013 | 4:20 AM

This author is pretty dumb. First of all, there's nothing wrong with a ponytail, but even if there were, only the braid is more complicated. And in terms of hairstyles that actually look good, these all fail.

maxie March 10, 2013 | 9:16 AM

I was with you until the shoes. Mom's are on their feet all day and need good support in shoes. That means yes, cute shoes, but they need good structure and they're not going to be inexpensive.