boots
How to rock jeans and boots

All
tucked up

Don’t own any skinny jeans or just not a straight leg kind of girl? No worries! If you have the know-how, it’s fairly simple to tuck those bulky, wide leg pants into a pair of cute boots. We’ll show you not one, but two chic ways to rock the look. Get ready girls!

What's needed:

First, you’ll want to find a pair of boots that hit right below your knees or a bit higher. They should also be a little loose on your legs, in order to leave room for your pants to be tucked in.

As far as jeans go, opt for a pair that has some flare. Make sure they’re snug on your thighs and fitted at the knees though. Otherwise, they’ll get all bunched up and baggy when you try to tuck them in, which definitely isn’t a good look.

Last but not least, grab some thin, high socks (or trouser socks) to slide over your pants to hold that fold in place. You’ll see what we mean shortly — don’t fret!

How to tuck it:

Step 1

Put on your slimmest pair of non-skinny jeans. Remember that the more fitted they are, the better.

Step 1

Step 2

Roll up the leg of your jean, as shown in the photo below, to create a nice, clean cuff.

Step 2

Step 3

Once you’ve created your cuff, transform your wide leg jeans into skinny jeans by pulling the extra material at the back of your leg out. Then fold it over, making a tight crease.

Step 3

Step 4

If you don’t have socks (or if your boots are loose enough), you can roll up the leg of your jean again to hold that crease in place.

Step 4

Step 5

If you do have socks, however, grab your thinnest, tightest pair and slip them up and over your jeans to hold the material in place. Your socks should be high enough so that they cover everything you’ve done so far.

Step 5

Step 6

Next, pull on your boots, checking to see that no sock is visible if you chose to wear them.

Step 6

Step 7

All done! Now you’re ready to hit the town in style.

Step 7

Discover more fashion tips and tricks

3 Perfect outfits for running errands
The many lengths of pants and how to wear each
The perfect black button down blouse styled 5 ways

Comments

Comments on "How to tuck non-skinny jeans into boots"

Cindy January 17, 2014 | 8:47 AM

There are also pant garters that clip on your jeans and go under your foot to keep jeans in place. I have some really cute ones.

Ruby Bella December 20, 2013 | 7:39 AM

This post saved me from my initial idea of just wrapping the denim as close as I could to my leg, then taping around the area. I know, just be thankful you don't know me in person.

emma December 16, 2013 | 5:51 AM

I think its funny that all the catty comments mean nothing, if you knew and did it years ago, then why are you on a post called "how to tuck non skinny jeans" if you knew you wouldnt have searched for it or clicked on the link like me after searching for skinny jeans

Brittany October 21, 2013 | 6:03 PM

Thanks! Nice pics too! I apologize on behalf of the catty, have-no-life-other-than-on-the-internet females who are being rude and catty below. Women like that give the rest of us a bad image! Come on ladies, put the claws away for five seconds, eh? No one cares when you started tucking your jeans into your boots, much less cares to hear you pontificate about it.

Cierria October 19, 2013 | 10:44 PM

When I wear non tight jeans with my boots, the pants scrunch up at the knee.... I don't care though, im only wearing the boots when it snows bad and I have to walk through it. I don't like to wear tight pants anyway, not my style.

Karen October 02, 2013 | 11:12 AM

Those of us who show horses competitively know about "Zocks"....they are sold in the horse world and worn over "breeches" to help your tall boots slip on and off more easily. They are slightly heavier than nylons and a little more durable, but super stretchy and fairly slick on the outside. They come right up to the knee and are found in wide varieties of colors & patterns. Cost is about $8-$12 a pair. They are GREAT for this purpose.

Laurie October 01, 2013 | 8:02 AM

@Laurie Pegging is something entirely different now. lol No one said this is a new technique.

Julia September 08, 2013 | 10:48 AM

I grew up in the 60's and the 70's and never knew this trick. I'm 59 and so happy to learn something new everyday. How silly and childish for someone to claim they have known this for years ..... Very good we are happy for you , would you like a cookie. There are those of us that did not know and are thankful it was shared on Pinterst .

lisa August 03, 2013 | 11:07 AM

This is great, thanks for the tip! (And I am 55 years old, I never folded my jeans like this) I love my boots, been wearing them for 40 years lol

Antome July 26, 2013 | 9:50 AM

Hey, this is genial! You made an origami out of it. But what if I have to remove them in front of people? Jk, just screw it, i have socks over jeans, so what :D?

Ed June 16, 2013 | 1:47 PM

I'm a guy and this has been really helpful!! Haha

Leigh May 17, 2013 | 3:21 PM

After reading through all the catty comments, I feel the need to point out that no where in this tutorial did the writer state that she had invented this technique. It is a learning tool. Do you also complain on blogs teaching you how to crochet or sew a hemline, because they didn't invent the process? If you don't find it useful because you already know how to do this, fine, but remember, not everyone knows everything you do. So grow up.

Mary April 06, 2013 | 5:19 AM

I grew up in the 90's too but my mom taught me how to do this. Still think it's great and helpful. I don't understand why this is leading to someone thinking they are better because they did this before Pinterest. I think really. It is you that needs to get a life.

kris m March 31, 2013 | 8:15 PM

wow-... what's really sad I tht all you oldies screaming " oh me yes me! I did this in the 80's! your a copy cat -! I'm telling mom!!!" just admited your age - which is too old to be making such a fuss over this. seriously! what I am Hearing from you all is " oh my life is so pathetic - wish I would have done more with it. oh well , letting the world know I did this before pintrest existed should make me feel better at least for a second!" get a freaking life! I am really glad that you pinned this. I absolutely hate skinny jeans and mainly buy them so that these style looks okay.

Jessica March 23, 2013 | 6:10 PM

Who cares who thought of it first...? I grew up a 90's kid and we didn't wear our jeans that way. It's useful for my generation to know.

Debbie February 11, 2013 | 6:16 PM

How funny!! I did this back in the 70's & 80's. I guess history really does repeat itself!

lizzy January 29, 2013 | 2:59 PM

in the late 70's and 80's i had little pant suspenders ..they were awesome .maybe 4in long and you hooked them at bottom of your foot..worked soo well.

H January 28, 2013 | 12:03 PM

To Lisa from 1/24--those look like they are the Frye Tall Paige riding boots. Awesome boots if you can swing them!!

Lisa January 24, 2013 | 5:33 AM

I just want to know what brand and style of boot it is she is wearing!

Vicci r January 18, 2013 | 8:08 PM

So basically tight rolling. Very popular for those of us who were teens & pretense in the late 80s early 90s.