Woman with nice hair

Do you wash your hair every day? We’re here to tell you why you shouldn’t. That’s right — it’s time to get dirty! Daily shampoo sessions aren’t always necessary and we have the scoop on why.

Let's talk dirty — hair

Don’t wash your hair every day — here’s why:

It’ll be easier to style

If you’ve ever washed your hair prior to going to the salon to get an updo or another more formal look, you likely got a talking-to from the stylist. Freshly washed and dried hair isn’t nearly as easy to work with as hair that was washed a day or two ago. Squeaky clean hair can slip out of pins and is notorious for not cooperating. Even creating a braided or more intricate look at home will be a lot easier to manage if you do it on a day you haven’t washed your hair.

Your color will last longer

If you color your hair, whether it’s your whole head or just regular highlights, washing daily can dull your color and lead to more frequent trips to the salon. Keep your locks looking bright and freshly dyed by only washing every other day (or less if you can swing it). When you do wash your hair, do so with a shampoo formulated for color-treated hair so you ensure color doesn’t fade.

It’ll be healthier

The more you wash your hair, the more you’re stripping your strands of their natural oils. That’s right — too much time with the shampoo bottle can actually mean less-than-lustrous locks. Over-washing can actually dry hair out, which isn’t ideal. Keep your tresses healthy and looking their best by avoiding daily shampoo sessions.

You’ll save time

Washing and drying hair takes time — for those of us with long hair, a wash and blow dry session take a lot of time. By cutting back on styling time, you end up with more time to get ready, sleep in or even fit in a quick jog or trip to the gym (or just to linger over breakfast).

Quick tip

If the thought of skipping a few shampoos a week freaks you out, there are a few things you can do to make life between washes a bit easier. Invest in some dry shampoo to revive yesterday’s style and stock up on hair accessories to give your locks a new look on days you don’t wash your hair.

More hair care tips

Mane event Mondays: How to deal with static
Hot hair in a hurry
Second day hair: Don't let your hair do the walk of shame

Comments

Comments on "Dirty talk: Why dirty hair is better"

Leah October 26, 2013 | 11:01 AM

Or... you can co-wash on the days you don't wash your hair. Just rinse with cleansing conditioner! It works and it's healthier for your hair. It won't be oily or dry!

Gertrude July 14, 2013 | 10:27 AM

I haven't washed my hair with shampoo for 2.5 years. In fact, I have not immersed my hair in water, other than the rain or snow, and a spring and fall transition dip, for 1.5 years. what I found, was sebum is cleansing, sweat is cleansing, what you eat comes out of your head and your pores, it takes time for your body to rebalance to what it's supposed to be (apparently 1.5 to 2 years to completion - Almost there!). My hair is gorgeous. It is the healthiest it's been since I was a child, and it does not smell (kind of more like a pretty merin wool smell). Since it takes over half an hour to dry with a hair dryer (4.5 without), I get to use that time to take care of myself in other ways, which I do take advantage of. Nowadays, I look around and all I see around me is dry, fried hair, stripped down to nothing (think worn out cracking wooden floors). I've gotten used to my sebum covered, non-frizzy, shiny hair. It's become my norm. But yes, getting past the whole scalp freaking out part (weeks 3 - 7) is the hard part, and there is definitely a mental challenge. We have been brainwashed into thinking detergent = clean, and this is not so. There are other ways to clean. So before you think "Ewww, gross! She doesn't clean her hair!" please note, I do clean my hair and my scalp, I just don't wash it.

Kenia November 27, 2012 | 9:30 AM

Agree, not washing your hair everyday definitely makes it healthier, but I also agree with @Emma, I exercise everyday and sweat a lot and its just hard no to wash it everyday after exercising.

Emma November 25, 2012 | 1:04 PM

These articles never account for those of us with oily hair. If I don't wash it daily it looks greasy, won't stay in place and it smells. Not to mention those of us who exercise or live in warm climates. If you get sweaty and don't wash your hair it's nasty and plain bad hygiene.

Linda November 10, 2012 | 12:43 PM

Thanks for the Dirty Hair article. Me and my daughter get colors done every 3 mths and I never knew that by washing our hair every day it would make your colors dull faster.

Katie November 06, 2012 | 11:14 AM

I wash my hair every 2-3 days and I like that! I hate styling my hair after I wash it, so I love the days that it's unwashed since I can throw it in a ponytail. I use dry shampoo on the days I don't wash it.