Rachel Zoe's sideswept hair

Long hair love

Long hair can often be ultra-easy to deal with. You can wear it down, tie it back, put it up -- the options seem pretty endless. But at the same time, your usual routine can get boring. If you’re starting to tire of your longer locks but don’t want to lose any length, we have some tips for fun new ways to style your hair.

Side swept strands

Simple but sexy, we love the side swept look for longer locks. Give your hair some texture by adding a salt water spray and working through with your fingers. Scrunch your locks from root to tip and then flip hair over to one side so you end up with a deep side part. Shake your hair out slightly and then add a light mist of holding product. The result: a fresh take on beach waves that can easily go from day to night.

Photo credit: Caroline Torem Craig/ WENN.com

Zooey Deschanel's blunt bangs

Blunt bangs

Bored with your longer locks? Update your look by added a fringe (think Zooey Deschanel). The contrast between longer hair and blunt bangs across your forehead instantly adds drama and a touch of playfulness. Talk to your stylist about the best way to go about adding bangs to your look in a way that suits your face shape and type of hair.

Photo credit: B.Dowling/WENN.com

Kim Kardashian's Sleek ponytail

Sleek ponytail

If you always wear your hair down, why not change things up slightly by opting for a sleek ponytail? They may have been your go-to look as a kid, but the ponytail isn’t just for the 10-and-under set. A low or mid-rise ponytail is the perfect way to keep longer locks looking polished. Not to mention it’s a timeless style that works whether you’re heading to the office or out to meet friends for Sunday brunch. Simply gather your hair at the nape of your neck or slightly higher, secure with an elastic, and pin up any errant strands.

Photo credit: DJDM/WENN.com

petra nemcova's slicked back hair

Slicked back and sporty

Give your longer locks a fresh twist by slicking them back for a sportier take on your usual look. First, flat iron your hair so it's as straight as you can get it. Then, apply a dime-size amount of gel from your hairline to the crown, working it through the hair for maximum hold. This pushes your strands back away from your face while providing an ultra-slick look. For extra hold, spritz a holding product onto the front of your hair to keep it from falling forward.

Photo credit: L.Gallo/WENN.com

Lily Cole with headband

Add accessories

Accessories are a great way to freshen up your hair look and longer locks especially can benefit from the addition of clips, barrettes and bands. Simply adding a metallic hair band or some vibrant beaded pins or barrettes to your hair can instantly add interest to your overall look.

Photo credit: Lia Toby/WENN.com

Watch: Hair mask for shiny hair

Today on the Daily Dish, our host Haley Desmet shows you how to make a hair mask for shiny hair.

More hairstyle tips

How to communicate with your hairstylist
Top 3 simple, summer-ready hair looks
Hairstyles that make you look younger

Comments

Comments on "Bored with your long hair? Try these styles!"

Michelle September 19, 2013 | 5:30 PM

Visit www.SOPHISCAT for cute women's outfits! Trendy, Stylish, Chic, and Sophisticated women's wear!

Princess August 05, 2013 | 1:42 AM

I have been looking for a hairstyle that's gonna suit me. There's a doubt in my mind putting bangs because I have a frizzy hair (because for almost 1 yr, my hair haven't been re-bonded yet, but I don't want to get that treatment again because, that super straight didn't suited me.)and the shape of my face is square and I'm quite chubby. Some people said that wavy hair is for me, but i want to have a hair that's non-frizzy look. My hair is long, almost reaches my butt. And any suggestions of hair color that gonna suit me? I have a Filipina complexion. Having my hair now is like boooring. I want to change my hairstyle. Thanks. :)

Kristie June 03, 2013 | 8:56 AM

I love my long hair too just a little suggestion please do some research before you decide you want to get bangs and decide which style is right for you so you know exactly what you want to tell your stylist! I made that awful mistake and almost ended up with a mullet because my stylist took my bangs to far back which i started out with them the same length of my hair which was past my breasts! So just be careful and if your not sure of the length you want tell your stylist to take only very little at a time. I was so devastated and still am its going to take me at least 3 more hair cuts just for it to look normal again and at least a year for them to grow back to a decent length!!!!

Emily September 20, 2012 | 10:34 AM

I'm debating getting bangs but haven't fully decided. I like that the look is "in" for fall, and it's a way to change up my hair without actually cutting it. Hmmmm....decisions decisions!

Laurel September 18, 2012 | 11:48 AM

I love my long hair! But get so bored sometimes with the same look. I definitely want to try bangs soon. But I also love the sleep ponytail look, or adding accessories. I'm always afraid it isn't really my style but it's time to try something new. The slicked back sporty look is not attractive, I don't like it at all!!

Katie September 18, 2012 | 7:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! My hair is long and I end up throwing it up in a messy bun every day, all day simply because I can't come up with anything new! I like the idea of adding accessories. I can even put it in a bun and add a headband for some extra style. Thanks!