Summer is here and it's time to lighten up! Now is the perfect time to clean out your closet. Celebrity stylist and wardrobe expert Rachel Wirkus tells us which five pieces to invest in this season and which ones you should toss.
Could your closet use a makeover? If you've got too many things you don't wear, not enough space or no idea what you buy when you go shopping, organizing expert and stylist Rachel Wirkus of RRW+Co is here to help. The California born, New York-based fashionista styles celebrities like Kate Bosworth and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and now she's sharing her secrets with SheKnows!
SheKnows: Tell us the five pieces every woman should have in her wardrobe.
- Pencil skirt: It's a basic that every woman should own. You can wear it to the office during the day with pumps, a blouse and blazer for a more conservative look, or pair it with a silk blouse and heels and transition into night for a sexy, effortless look. High waisted pencil skirts are nice because they create a great shape.
- Black blazer: They're so versatile! Wear them to work, wear them on a date or to an event over a little dress. Pair it with shorts and a vintage tee for an edgy, more put together look. Roll the sleeves up for a more casual day look. A blazer pulls together any outfit and will never go out of style. On a budget, try this one from Zara. Ready to splurge? Check out theory.
- Trench coat: A classic slim trench coat is a must-have! Wear in the fall in cooler cities or all year long in cities that don't get too cold. It's perfect over pencils skirts, dresses and jeans. Cinch in the waist to show off your figure! Uniqlo has an amazing trench for only $80.
- Classic pumps: A black or nude pump should be in every woman's closet. Round toe or with a slight point are both in style. The closed toe can be worn throughout the whole year. Wear with tights in the winter or without when it's warmer. Aldo has great ones if you're saving, or you can invest in Christian Louboutins.
- Little black dress: Every woman needs a sexy black dress that they feel great in. Opt for one that you can wear to work with a blazer on top, date night or out on the town with the girls. Save on this one from H&M.
SheKnows: How can you make the most of a small closet?
Wirkus: Change out by season. When the hot summer months start, transition all your bulky winter boots, sweaters and coats out and move the sundresses, shorts and tanks in. Store the off-season clothes in space bags to save room and stack under your bed or in an extra closet or storage unit until they are needed again.
Get everything off the floor. Shoes should be put on shelves that are built into your closet. If you don't have built in shelves, the hanging shoe rack is great. If you need that space for hanging clothes, then a shoe rack that fits underneath is great.
SheKnows: Any other organizing trick you swear by?
Wirkus: Purchase all of the same hangers. This will make the closet look uniform and give it an automatic face lift! If you need to save space, the thin velvet hangers are great. I love Huggable Hangers, and you can buy them in bulk online to cut costs. If you have space, wood hangers are very nice.
SheKnows: When cleaning out a client's closet, how do you decide what to keep and what has to go?
Wirkus: If you've had it in your closet for six months and haven't worn it; if it's completely out of style, out of date or is ill-fitting.
Watch: How to add instant wow to your wardrobe
Today on the Daily Dish, personal stylist Fawn Cheng shows you how to add instant wow to your wardrobe.
More fashion fun
All-American summer style staples
Summer white staples
Organize your closet in 15 minutes