Brandi Glanville
Brandi's fashion corner

Get out there, girl!

Brandi Glanville, reality star, model and single mom of two active boys, is dishing her top tips for everything from beauty and fashion to fitness and nutrition in her new column for SheKnows! Up today? Her tips for dealing with a breakup in style!

Happy woman looking in mirror

"Breaking up is hard to do" and "time heals all wounds" are two adages that have remained true and stood the test of time. As we all very well know, the hardest time in one's life is the time it takes to heal. I think breakups of any kind allow for a little bit of irrational thinking and a little bit of totally freaking out. This is the time that we get a pass and are allowed to cry so hard we puke, make ourselves physically ill, not eat, over eat, drink too much and act like an all-around hot mess.

However, the sooner we can rally up and realize that life is short, the better off we will be… TRUST ME! I have been there, boy have I ever. Here are some tips that will hopefully help you learn from my mistakes.

Picture intervention

First and foremost, after your freakout sessions, do yourself a favor and take down all pictures of the two of you together and replace them with pictures of you and your friends and family at memorable moments.

Closet purge

Next up, give your dresser drawer a makeover and throw out all of his oversized T-shirts you used to sleep or lounge in. Now it's time to toss out ALL of your underwear and replace them with new bright colored underwear for future memories to be made.

Pamper yourself!

Do something for yourself -- maybe go on a singles cruise or vacation, sign up for an online dating service, take that cooking class you have always wanted to take -- basically it's time to jump back into the game whether you are ready to date or just re-enter the social scene. It's time to stop sulking and get out of your house.

Think before you make over

One thing I really advise against is any kind of drastic change to your look; these things are almost always regretted down the road. If you want to get a few highlights or a spray tan, that is OK but NO drastic haircuts or hair changes!

Plan ahead

My next piece of advice is to plan ahead. There is nothing worse than having a day or night creep up on you when nobody is available to hang out and you have nothing to do. It usually puts you right back into that feeling sorry for yourself mode. So book your schedule in advance for the week, reach out to old friends or make new ones by taking classes or joining social clubs. DO NOT sit home sulking with three drinks and stalking your ex's Facebook and Twitter pages because this will only make you feel worse and put you back at ground zero.

Remember life is short and it's meant to be lived. If you absolutely can't shake the breakup blues, I am a huge advocate of asking for help when you need it and seeking therapy and possibly a happy pill. Remember that everyone goes through this and you are not alone. Life can be full of excitement, so stay strong and keep a positive attitude!

More tips from Brandi Glanville

Brandi Glanville’s celebrity style icons
Brandi Glanville's top tips for date night mommy-style
Brandi Glanville's top 4 mommy wardrobe essentials

Comments

Comments on "Brandi Glanville's breakup makeover advice"

Erica June 26, 2012 | 2:15 PM

Good ideas! I learned the hard way that chopping off my hair after a breakup is NOT the best way to rebel against a failed relationship. I think next time I'll just makeover my closet! Ha!

sophie June 25, 2012 | 5:47 PM

Great advice.....and you Brandi, are living proof that doing well is the best revenge!!!You're gorgeous inside and out and you can't put a price on that !!! Also, when I was going thru a divorce, a wise healer/psychic said it's important to get a new mattress,,,same as you said ,,,,for the happy new memories to come!!!!!!

Jezi June 25, 2012 | 12:00 PM

Great advice sweetie!!! I LOL'd at the Facebook and Twitter stalking. My last break up was about 9 years ago and those social media sites didn't exist but I know if they did, I would've been that person. You are right about not sitting home. I took kickboxing and got in to shape. Make them regret the break up and feel great about yourself at the same time :)

brinn June 25, 2012 | 10:21 AM

Love your honesty and your advice, I can tell you take your own advice! I look forward to reading your column. Can't wait to read your book, too!

8smileys June 25, 2012 | 9:51 AM

Such great, fun advice, for such a hard situation. B you're a natural at giving great tips. God knows, after what you've been through that you had to become an expert at not sweating the small stuff. Good for you! :)

Kristi June 25, 2012 | 9:48 AM

Love the new undies advice! And while we're at it-let's replace the bras too because I go big or go home. :) Thanks B for all the fab advice!

Guy June 22, 2012 | 8:27 PM

Lots of good advice, I never thought of the bright colored undies for future memories! When my wife divorced me in the early 90's I didn't own a computer, so I buried myself in mounds of cocaine and alcohol. It didn't work very well and lasted for over three years. Luckily I survived and was finally able to move on after getting sober. You are a very good writer Brandi and I hope you do a lot more of it.

Laland June 22, 2012 | 5:42 PM

Brandi great post, especially from an experience person who went through a rough divorce!

heather June 21, 2012 | 8:57 PM

Great post!! I love your attitude on life! I can only hope that during a break up I'm half as strong as you've proven yourself to be.

peaches June 21, 2012 | 3:57 PM

Awesome advice from an awesome woman! Brandi you rock! For all the crap you have gone through in the past few years you have come out on top for sure. I admire how much strength you have =) I agree with Rita you deserve so much support from women because you are living proof that you can get through the worst and most public break up with your dignity and your character intact! You have more grace in your pinky than the "other woman" has in her whole being. Your story hits close to home for me as I'm sure it does for many others. Thank you for giving us hope!

Rita June 21, 2012 | 3:18 PM

Divorce is difficult in any situation but how Brandi got through it with all her strength and beauty intact, I'll never know. Brandi may have her faults around the edges, and those are more a matter of personal opinion than demonstrated fact, but no one can deny she's a righteous "biatch", great mother, and someone who deserves every good woman's support.

nicole June 21, 2012 | 3:12 PM

Great column Brandi!! Great advice! I love the idea about getting new underwear in bright happy colors. You totally gotta do a lingerie purge once the relationship is over and start fresh.

Emma June 21, 2012 | 2:00 PM

This is such great advice from someone you know has been through an awful, public break up! Breaking up is hard whether you wanted it or not. Staying busy has been the best thing for me during this period so that I don't start to feel sorry for myself and get into a depressed rut. And your true friends are always ready and willing to help distract you! Take your time to heal, then put yourself out there!