BrandiGlanville
Brandi's fashion corner

Look haute by the pool

Brandi Glanville, reality star, model and single mom of two active boys, is dishing her top tips for everything from beauty and fashion to fitness and nutrition in her new column for SheKnows! Up today? Tips for rocking the poolside in style!

Yeah bikinis!!! Finally something I believe I am an expert on! OK people, let's just start with my five ultimate rules for rocking a swimsuit and being "haute" poolside.

Rule #1: Tighten things up a bit

First and foremost, guess what? A big bikini bottom only makes your booty look even bigger! Much like with pregnancy clothes, the bigger and looser clothing you wear only makes you look like a house.

If you want to look like you have a tiny bum, then rock a tiny bikini bottom, preferably one with side ties, like this one from Luli Fama. Side ties protrude out just enough to bring the eye of your onlookers out which in turn makes your waist look two inches smaller. It's all about proportions, ladies.

Luli Fama swimsuit

Ruched bikini

Rule #2: Ruching is your friend

A little ruching goes a long way! Nothing is more flattering than ruching on your behind because it accentuates the middle therefore giving you an even more bootylicious look. Try a flattering bottom like this one from Luli Fama (above).

slightly padded bandeaux top

Rule #3: Find the right top for your bust

Triangle tops are not always the most flattering look. A slightly padded bandeau top twisted or cut out in the middle with straps either from the inner chest or outer is the most flattering and sexy look of all time, unless you have a very ample, perfect chest. If that describes you, then you should rock triangle tops, like this one from Victoria's Secret.

Designer bikini by Holmes

Rule #4: Designers matter

When it comes time to choose a swimsuit designer, just remember that your suits are only as good as your tailor! It is so important to have the right cut for your body and we are all made with love, care and imperfections. Lucky for us, most swimsuit companies sell separates these days for our convenience.

So what are a few of my fave designers? My number one favorite swim line is Holmes by my friend and supermodel Susan Holmes. Number two is Luli Fama, third favorite is Vitamin-A, fourth is Rees (but it's very pricey) and in last but certainly not least is Skin Flick swimsuits.

Tankini

Rule #5: Ditch the tankinis!

Lastly, I have some serious issues with the "tankini." To me it just screams “Hey, look at me I’m kind of trying to be brave." Too much contradiction for me. It’s basically a one piece cut into two pieces with all the fabric still there. Bottom line is I don't believe in tankinis. I think a one piece bathing suit with a few well-placed sexy cut outs is way hotter! Tankini be gone.

Bonus tip: How to look pretty in pictures

When it comes to getting your pictures taken in the almost near buff, there are a few things to consider!

St. Tropez MousseColors matter: I find solid bright colors photograph better than prints. Three basic suit colors that one cannot live without are white, black and either turquoise or hot pink! I promise.

Don't forget your beauty routine: Please don't forget to self-tan before hitting the beach! Exfoliate first with a salt scrub and a dry loofah, shave next and then apply your favorite self-tanner. I'm digging St. Tropez Mousse at the moment, but don't forget to apply with latex gloves. My next beach must is a cellulite cream. One of my faves? Bliss's FatGirlSlim! Just remember we all have a little bit of cellulite in one light or another at any age.

More beach tips

Look better in the buff before bathing suit season
Breezy beach wear for a tropical holiday
Hot product alert: Stylish swimwear for active women

Comments

Comments on "Brandi Glanville’s top swimwear tips and picks"

paulina June 05, 2012 | 3:00 PM

what swimming suite is Brandy wearing, the gold one, gorgeous!

Hannah May 29, 2012 | 9:55 AM

I never knew that the bigger the bottom the bigger your bottom actually looks! I think I need to go shopping for a new bikini! Thanks!

Liz May 26, 2012 | 8:27 AM

Yay Brandi! Keep up the amazing work. I can't wait to read your next article. You are a hard working, beautiful single mama that is an inspiration to all. Love you mama!

dodie May 25, 2012 | 1:40 PM

Love this article, I agree about tankinis.

Shel May 25, 2012 | 1:39 PM

These tips are so helpful, I love that you give your real opinions. The details are great too. I love sold color suits and gold and white are my favorites. Think Bond Girl. Brandi you should be in the next James Bond movie!

Leanne May 25, 2012 | 11:02 AM

I love your articles and how you relate to normal. I am obsessed with your body and you have inspired me so so much! You are the real deal!!

Morgan May 25, 2012 | 10:37 AM

Good advice on the tankini! Your points never crossed my mind but now at the beach I look around and realize how frumpy it looks and actually adds years to the figure. I realize a one-piece is an inconvenience and not everyone's style. Thank you for the column, looking forward to the next one. BTW Do you stick with organic body care products? The skin is so absorptive, I would like to know if you have any recs in the organic lines. Best of luck in all your endeavors and appreciate your straightforward style.

Claire May 25, 2012 | 10:32 AM

LOVE YOU GIRL!!!! TEAM BRANDI ALL THE WAY X X X

EuropiaCharms May 25, 2012 | 10:17 AM

I love your advice, although I still am a sucker for a tankini. I love the side tie bikini bottoms, much ier. But plz plz plz can you do a makeup blog. I love your makeup and flawless skin, your face looks like a porcelain goddess. I have many blemishes that was caused from using a product and I want my skin back to the way it was :( So depressing. I love how you do your eyes and lips too. Please please consider a makeup/skincare blog next. Pretty please. Thanks, from a big fan, muah.

Karen Heller May 25, 2012 | 10:09 AM

Brandi...I do agree with most of your tips for looking chic by the pool:) However...at almost 50 years old, even though I am good shape, I do not feel comfortable in a bikini. Don't want to have to suck my tummy in all day!!! I don't like a one piece either. They are annoying when having to use the restroom:) Not everyone, not most women (especially in our late 40s), have the trim/toned body which you have:) Once you go through menopause your body changes and comfort becomes much more important! I feel most comfortable in a tankini. And I love a real pretty cover-up! That being said, I am a fan of yours:) I admire your truth and honesty. I wish you well and hope to see more tips from you! xox

tyler May 25, 2012 | 10:04 AM

Love Brandi!! Beautiful in and out!

la land May 25, 2012 | 9:35 AM

I love your blogs/articles and your tips. You did a wonderful job on this cite Brandi and i will differently be looking forward for more :)

Caitlin May 24, 2012 | 10:08 AM

Awesome tips! I can use the help I can get when it comes to shopping for swimwear.

BrandiLover May 23, 2012 | 6:49 PM

Thanks Brandi! Love your column and looking forward to the next one. You always look so effortlessly glamourous. I wish I could look like you if only for 24 hours. Those legs! That beautiful face! That skin! You are fabulous!

Lisa May 23, 2012 | 5:44 PM

thanks for the tips! love how real and genuine you are. keep it up!!

brandislave May 23, 2012 | 5:23 PM

i love brandi she is my everything and im a man

Brynn May 23, 2012 | 4:58 PM

Finding the right top for your bust is crucial! There is nothing worse than seeing someone try and wear something that doesn't flatter the part of their body that could potentially fly everywhere! The top pictured is classy but perfect for a day in the sun. I especially hate the strap tan lines so it is perfect.

Emma May 23, 2012 | 4:55 PM

I think these are some fun tips, but I am still a fan of the tankini! Some of us don't have to body or even want to bare it all. But a tankini can give the illusion of that, and still have the convenience of a two piece. We all know it is much more functional to use beach restrooms in a two piece versus a one piece!

Sarah May 23, 2012 | 2:49 PM

Great article! Thanks for all of your tips! It's great to see a single mom looking hot! You are a wonderful woman, whose outspoken nature is great but we all know what an amazing, caring heart you have inside!

brinn May 23, 2012 | 2:32 PM

Good tips Brandi! Now if I could just have a body like yours! Love your column and can't wait to see what's next.