Hair buns are back and bigger than ever. If you can’t bear the thought of struggling to create a polished look, or you’re worried you don’t have enough hair to create a get-noticed style, don’t be. Use the celeb trick taking the beauty world by storm – sock buns!
Yup, socks are the new must-have hair accessory. Read on to find out how to create a sock bun. Trust us, it’s super-easy and looks awesome.
Sock buns: What you need
You don’t need much to get started. These are the basics:
- One regular/tube sock
- Hair elastics
- Bobby pins
- Optional: Smoothing serum, dry shampoo
Making your sock bun
It’s dead easy to turn a sock (one that’s lost its partner, ideally) into a simple but effective bun enhancer. Cut the toe area off your sock and then roll the toe-less, tube part of the sock into itself until it’s roughly the shape and size of a doughnut. Now you’re ready to create your bun.
Sock bun steps
Note: If you want a more messy-chic look, you can backcomb your hair slightly to create volume and add a spritz of dry shampoo for texture. Doing this will create a bun that’s less polished and more "slept-in."
Comb your hair and make sure it's smooth and tangle-free.
- Add some smoothing serum to further create a sleek look and tame fly-away pieces if needed.
- Gather your hair into a ponytail. It can be high, medium or low – the placement will dictate where the bun will sit. Use your elastic to secure the ponytail being careful not to end up with too many loose strands.
- Now you’re ready for your sock. Hold your ponytail straight into the air and slip the sock "doughnut" you've made over the tip of it.
- Carefully gather your hair around the sock bun until your ponytail (now in bun form since you've rolled/gathered it) completely covers the sock. Essentially you’re creating a bun from your ponytail by using the sock to create the illusion of more hair and a more prominent bun shape.
- Tuck any loose strands under the sock making sure no part of the sock is showing. Secure loose bits with bobby pins if you need to. Voila – a sexy, stylish, on-trend hair bun in no time!
Watch: Best kept beauty secrets
More hair tips and trends
Spring hair trend: Pastels!
How to keep your hair healthy this season
Must-try trend: Embellished hair accessories
Photo credit: C.Smith/WENN.com