Ava Anderson

Earth-friendly beauty

With Earth Day on the horizon, we started thinking about how to be more eco-conscious when it comes to beauty. Not only is it important to use products that won’t harm our skin, but we also want to ensure that what’s in our makeup bag doesn’t harm the earth. That’s why we turned to natural beauty expert Ava Anderson, founder of Ava Anderson Non-Toxic, for her insight into skin and earth-friendly products.

All about Ava Anderson

SheKnows: For those unfamiliar with your story, what inspired you to create your line of products and educate people about the harmful aspects of cosmetics?

Ava Anderson: I saw a segment on the news on The Teen Study, done by the Environmental Working Group, which tested teenagers for carcinogens, endocrine disruptors, neurotoxins, etc. and every teen tested positive for all the chemicals they were looking for. This really shocked me and I immediately began researching the issue. Three years later and I still haven't stopped! I decided after learning about the "toxic issue" for a year and not being able to find a full line of completely safe products that I would need to create my own, and that’s exactly what we did!

Busting the eco-beauty myth

SheKnows: What are some of the most common misconceptions about 'organic' or 'natural' skin care and makeup?

"Manufacturers can use terms like 'natural' without sticking to any real criteria."

Ava Anderson: A lot of people feel that if they find a natural or organic brand, it will be completely safe; however, this is unfortunately not the case. Manufacturers can use terms like ‘natural’ without sticking to any real criteria. There are often just as many toxic chemicals in “natural/organic” products as there are in generic drugstore ones.

Green shopping know-how

SheKnows: When shopping for earth and skin-friendly products, what are the most important things people should remember?

Ava Anderson: There are so many bad ingredients you want to steer clear of, and I recommend you look up every product on the Cosmetics Database first, but I can give you a few specifically to avoid.

"The ingredient 'fragrance' should definitely be avoided. Manufacturers are able to hide hundreds of chemicals in that one word and not list them."

The ingredient “fragrance” should definitely be avoided. Manufacturers are able to hide hundreds of chemicals in that one word and not list them. They are often hiding phthalates, which are known endocrine disruptors and are now being linked to Autism and ADHD in the 1st and 3rd trimester of pregnancy.

Stay away from parabens, triclosan and retinyl palmitate as well. The FDA reported last spring that retinyl palmitate enhances skin cancer lesions in the presence of sunlight. These few chemicals are a good start at cleaning up your bathroom but it is really only the surface of the issue. I recommend reading some of our posts on Facebook. We regularly post great articles daily on important topics there.

Eco-beauty benefits

Ava Anderson skincare productsSheKnows: What are some of the main beauty benefits of using truly natural products?

Ava Anderson: Instead of adding to the body the burden of toxic chemicals, truly safe products have actually beneficial ingredients! For instance, our eye cream is made of 11 organic botanical ingredients that have been known for centuries to be beneficial to healing, regenerating and moisturizing of the skin.

Eco-goals

SheKnows: What do you hope to achieve with your website, company and line of great products?

Ava Anderson: I really hope to spread the message to everyone and educate them on the "toxic message" while offering an organic and non-toxic alternative for personal care and cleaning products. We chose a direct selling/party plan method because a consumer would not understand how important the product was if they just picked it up off the shelf of a local big box store or drugstore. We felt it was important to provide an education on what they are currently using for themselves and their families before they realize why they would need to make the switch to safe products.

Beauty tips

SheKnows: Can you share some general beauty and skin care tips for spring with our readers?

Ava Anderson: Sure! I think a great tip is applying an extra amount of lotion to your feet at night and putting a pair of socks on right away. It lets all the moisturizer soak in and you wake up with amazingly soft feet. Perfect for sandals and the beach!

More green beauty

Committing to green beauty this year
Why you should green your beauty routine
Best eco-friendly beauty products

Tags: eco beauty triclosan

Comments

Comments on "Interview with eco-beauty expert Ava Anderson"

Teresa Kelley July 08, 2013 | 2:28 PM

I am so excited to hear about this company. For years I have been making my own chemical free products or at least atempting too.... My daughter and friends would love to get together to see what was next... We had a lot of fun but I believe I will be able to share more and hopefully become a part of this amazing company and spread the message. Thanks so much for caring and letting others be a part of this.... I can't wait to get started...

Stoonnaoriert October 17, 2012 | 7:07 PM

bwcckmmk muifmmvb air jordan pas cher sxouauka air jordan pas cher esfpdkjl oxjeejcn http://airjordnnxchaussuresmagasinn/

Pam July 11, 2012 | 3:48 AM

My parents buy all my stuff, which I get at drgutsores. I like Pantene shampoo and conditioner, and I use generic deodorant, foundation and mascara. Pretty much the only other thing I use is bar soap, and Veet depilatory lotion.Nair irritates my skin I got this horrible bleeding rash all over my legs when I used it.

Lee Lee April 22, 2012 | 9:36 PM

So much for Proactive, I found out the hard way how harsh that is on my face and pillowcase. Then I found out my Burt's Bee's lip balm is also highly toxic, thought I was all set with my Kiss My Face peaches and cream lotion, but that is toxic too! So much for stuff that has doctors and Justin Bieber for spokespeople Proactive. And the all natural and organic stuff isn't all natural or organic. Even better, my aunt used to send me used to send me this awesome scrub by Bath Junkie...yup it is filled with junk like parabens and toxins read the recipe. Do your research, we have wasted a lot of money and thrown a lot of stuff out, because it was doing too much harm. Glad we found Ava Anderson Non-Toxic and glad it really is NON-TOXIC! thank you!

Trina April 22, 2012 | 7:56 PM

Love the article! I just wish in the next article, TOP GREEN PRODUCTS that Ava Anderson Non Toxic was on it instead of Berts Bees,Urban Decay and Origins(all products that still have toxins and chemicals in them!). Hope this article will make everyone a little more aware of what we are doing to ourselves and the environment when we choose to purchase other products! Ava Anderson products are amazing, that's just the bonus to the fact that they are safe and healthy for us too! Once you know you can't un-know!

Corey April 22, 2012 | 7:36 PM

Thank you Ava for making these products that are safe for me and my family to use......I have four children and a busy household. I feel so safe using the AvaBaby line on my baby, using the AvaHome line cleaning products all around the house, and the Ava Skin Care set that my entire family uses, including the shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner. Yes, the products are for MEN, too! At least for real men, men who know it's their responsibility to look out for the safety and well-being of their family, and who wish to be true stewards of the Earth! What are you putting on your body? What are you rinsing down the drain? Not sure, well ask Ava....Sheknows! Soooo many benefits from the Ava products!

Victoria April 22, 2012 | 5:54 PM

Thank you for all you do, Ava Anderson, and thank you for sharing this great information SheKnows. I was introduced to this information and these products about 7 months ago and absolutely love them (my favs - the Ava Body line including the Shampoo, Conditioner, Deep Conditioner and Styling Cream. Amazing for my entire family from my long, naturally curly hair to my daughter's angel fine straight hair.). I also love knowing that I am supporting a company who is willing to do the right thing and try to make this world a better place. Thank you, thank you!

Suzanne Arena April 22, 2012 | 5:42 PM

Ava's products keep it Simple, Safe and Enjoyable. I have studied the effects of environmental contributions to cancer and many people overlook Sunscreens, Baby Products etc., you need to pay attention. Fabulous products and my children enjoy using them as much as I smile while bathing them in "no-harm added" products. Thanks to Ava and Kim!

Olga Gurvich April 22, 2012 | 4:07 PM

I love the baby product.Very clean, smell nice and no harm for my grandson. Thank you Ava and Kim. I love it!

Heather April 22, 2012 | 3:55 PM

I love Ava Anderson products! I am so happy that I now know how dangerous the products we were using are, and that I now use only safe, non-toxic Ava products on my family!! And of course everything works great too!

Rebecca Longworth April 22, 2012 | 3:00 PM

big supporter of your products. thank you for all your good work and I always look forward to your new reports. may God bless

Dana T April 22, 2012 | 2:20 PM

I have been looking for a option to shaving cream in a can loaded with chemicals that actually works. Now I use the Ava shower gel with a dab of moisturizer mixed in, works great and leave my face very soft. Also, as a licensed massage therapist, I use the Ava hand and body lotion with all my clients. They totally love it.

Shelby April 22, 2012 | 1:27 PM

Awesome interview! Thank you so much, Ava, for all that you do to inform people about the toxic issue, and thank you for offering a truly safe solution! I LOVE my Ava eye cream! I use it all over my face as a night cream. It is so soothing and it works! I also love the toner...it is so refreshing. I have been searhing FOR EVER for non-toxic hair styling products that actually work on my curly mane. Now I can't live without my Ava hair styling cream. I love all of the products, and I don't know how I ever got along without them! Thank you so much!

Donna April 22, 2012 | 1:00 PM

I LOVE the products! Thank you Ava and Kim for all your hard work in making TRULY safe, natural products for the whole family!

Beth R April 22, 2012 | 6:34 AM

I cannot live without the Ava Anderson Eye Cream! Simply the best, most versitile powerhouse of a moisturizer there is. I use it on my whole face--as a night cream, a day cream, and as a layer under my foundation powder. The skin care line is the best all-TRULY-natural system available--I think I have tried them all! Love the hair line, too--even my hair stylist agrees it makes my hair softer than anything else ever did. Thank you, Ava!

Nancy April 22, 2012 | 4:08 AM

I am so thankful I found this company. My whole family uses these products, even my grandchildren. I'm getting so many compliments on how young I look since using the Ava Skin Care line - the eye cream is simply amazing! Another favorite of mine is the shampoo and conditioner - no longer do I find my hair is falling out! I feel so much better knowing I can rely on products with the Ava Anderson name to be safe for my entire family AND for the environment - Go AVA!

Anelya April 22, 2012 | 3:09 AM

This company is amazing. I have been using their products on myself and my family since the beginning. I love how they smell, how they work, and most of all that I have removed harmful chemicals from my family's life. Since using Ava;s products, we have cleaned up our act in ways that go WAY beyond personal care products. My favorite products are The Ava SKin and Body Collections, the Lemon Sugar Body Scrub, and the Ava Home cleaning collection. Of course, my go to baby shower present is Ava Baby - no harmful chemicals and SMELLS LIKE A BABY!!! Thank you Ava, for ALL you do!

Cindy April 21, 2012 | 8:56 PM

These products have changed mine and my family's skin and health. I am so thankful that I found the Ava Anderson brand and I am extremely grateful to Ava Anderson herself for having the passion and drive to create her own line. These are amazing products. Thank you!

Maria April 21, 2012 | 7:48 PM

These are truly amazing products that come with peace of mind! I use and recommend the entire line. The baby line is not just for babies...the lotion is so rich and moisturizing. LOVE!!!

Danielle April 21, 2012 | 7:38 PM

I was aware of the "toxic issue" for many years before I was introduced to this line of products and I spent many late nights researching safe products. It was tedious (I dreaded running out of products) and sometimes I would just give up and buy something and hope for the best. I know I can't protect myself or my family from all the toxins in the environment, but I know I'm filtering out as much as I can by choosing the safest products on the market. I'm in LOVE with the facial skin care products. The toner/moisturizer combo has left my skin as hydrated as I can remember it ever being!