Stylists: Aveda Global Creative Director Antoinette Beenders
"Christian's collection is inspired by the beauty of bats, so we wanted to create a style that would echo that concept and complement his designs," Beenders says. "We kept the hair close to the head to mimic the body shape of a bat, using the braids as an anchor at the nape, as well as a way to minimize volume. The style is uncomplicated, modern and sophisticated."
Christian Siriano: "My inspirations for the fall 2012 collection are bats and specifically the '30s film The Vampire Bat... I find beauty in the wings of the bat, which can be seen in the details of the clothing -- leather appliqués, ethereal flowing silk crepe dresses, tops and capes taking flight."
Get the hairstyle
- Prep hair with Aveda Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother and blowdry straight.
- Part hair on both sides at the parietal ridge (the area where your bones start to curve upward) and secure hair on top of the head with an elastic.
- Continue the parts on both sides of the head toward the nape. Secure the center section at the back of the head with an elastic.
- Starting on the left side of the head, comb out the loose section and prep with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray. Create an inverted braid, starting at the temple – one to two inches above the ear – working toward the nape, following the natural curve of the hairline.
- Secure the braid at the nape with an elastic and flat iron the loose ends.
- Repeat on the right side of the head and mist both braids with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray.
- Release the section at the back of the head and comb out.
- Flat iron hair in 1-inch sections, prepping with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray to add a bit of gloss and light hold, moving up the from nape to the crown.
- Remove the elastic from the top section and use a flat iron to smooth the hair, working in horizontal sections from sides to center part. Let the hair fall over the braids, covering them completely, and smooth out with a fine-toothed comb.
- Pull the hair back, as if you were creating a low pony tail, in a wide, flat swath. Use pins to hold hair in place, anchoring them into the braids on the left and right sides of the swath.
- Secure hair by placing a 3- to 4-inch metal comb horizontally at the nape. Remove pins.
- Mist with Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray to tame flyaways and add shine. Spritz with Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine for added gloss to finish.
More Fashion Week
Backstage beauty: Hair at Richard Chai fall/winter 2012 show
A fashion session with The Style Network's Cecilia Cassini
Designer spotlight: Jenny Packham
Photos courtesy of Aveda