Fashion Week 2012 is in full swing and we're sharing our favorite finds, the trends we see and some how-tos to help you score the look at home. Up today? The hair at Richard Chai's Fall/Winter 2012 show.
Stylists: Frank Rizzieri and Kevin Ryan for Aveda.
Hair-spiration: Matt Dillon in Drugstore Cowboy and Chet Baker – well-groomed gets a tousle.
"Richard's collection incorporates disproportionate tailoring," says Kevin Ryan. "The hair – like the clothing – is deconstructed. The overall hairstyle starts out looking very tidy, but the finish disturbs the original styling, like you've pulled a sweater off over your head."
Fashion inspiration: "This collection is about exploring urban landscapes through a nomadic eye, combining rural influences with a downtown edge," Richard Chai says. "I wanted to create a sense of navigating the intersection of city and outdoors using utilitarian details and a dark moody palette."
Get the hairstyle
- Section hair from ear to ear at the flat of the crown, securing the bottom half with a clip.
- Spray top section from root to midshaft with a generous amount of Aveda Volumizing Tonic.
- Blowdry Tonic in the top section with a fine-toothed comb or Mason Pearson brush, creating lift at the root, up and away from the face and hairline.
- Work Aveda Men Pure-Formance Grooming Clay into the hair from root to mid-length with a Mason Pearson brush. Hair should be slightly textured throughout – use Aveda Air Control Hair Spray or Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion to add texture, if needed.
- Follow with a quarter-sized dollop of Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade emulsified in the hands and raked in, using fingers to comb through.
- Comb hair back and away from the face with a side-parting on the left. Secure with clips and let set while finishing makeup.
- Using a fine-toothed comb, reverse the style by combing forward for a tousled, random finish. Saturate hair at the sides of the face with Brilliant Spray-On Shine and comb backwards; then run fingers through for added texture over the ear.
Photos courtesy of Aveda
More fashion week
QVC launches celeb-worthy lines
Designer spotlight: BCBGMAXAZRIA
Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week 2012 schedule