It's easier to prevent damage than to repair it:
- Always wear a sunscreen -- every day, rain or shine. Just 20 minutes of unprotected exposure can damage the skin. Choose a sunscreen with Mexoryl or Helioplex. La-Roche-Posay and Neutrogena both offer effective sunscreens with UVH protection.
- Don't tan!
- If you already have brown age spots from sun exposure, treat them with lemon juice diluted with water. Just apply the mixture with a cotton swab every night, gradually increasing to two daily applications until the sun spots fade away.
A solid skin care routine
The initial benefits of taking great care of your skin will stop if you don't keep up the care:
- Cleanse your skin every night to avoid clogged pores and wash away the pollution and irritants to which your skin has been exposed.
- Find a good cleanser and use it every day. (Soaps tend to be too drying, so use them only from the neck down.) Opt for a creamy cleanser if your skin is dry, and a clear cleanser if you have oily skin.
- Never wash your face with very hot or very cold water, since both can cause broken capillaries. A splash of warm water to follow the cleansing is your best option.
- Toners are meant to remove that last trace of residue after you cleanse while balancing and clarifying your skin. Some women swear by them, while others skip this step. If you want to try a moisturizing toner that won't irritate your skin, pick up Ambe's Green Tea Toner for $40.00.
- If you're not exfoliating weekly, start now. One reason men's skin often looks youthful longer is that they exfoliate daily while shaving. Exfoliation removes the dull layer of dead surface skin cells that can muddy your complexion. Choose a gentle microdermabrasion scrub; Lancome makes an excellent one with tiny grains. Scrubs with big, coarse grains will do more harm than good and can tear delicate facial skin.
- Retinoids such as Retin A do double duty, generating collagen in the skin while removing the dead skin cells. Collagen is the skin's structural fiber and its breakdown as we age can cause enlarged pores and wrinkles.
- No matter your skin type, don't forget to moisturize. Moisturizers help seal in the skin's natural moisture. If your skin feels tight, it's time to moisturize. Even oily skin can benefit from moisturizer. Just don't overdo it; this can clog your pores.
More beauty tips
Treat your skin to a mid-winter fixer
Beauty discovery: bb creams
A new way to wash your face