The fresh-faced, no makeup look has been steadily making a comeback since fall and isn't showing signs of going away any time soon. We've loved the clear, glowing minimal makeup look for a while and wanted to share some simple ways to get the look this season.
A nod to neutral
The shift away from a brighter beauty palette seems to stem from many of the styles that showed up on runways recently. Many of the fashions during the fall were loose and flowing, a bit of a throwback to the 1970s. A neutral face complements this trend, especially with the current spate of maxi length hems and butterfly sleeve tops getting ready to take us into warmer months. Here's how to get the look at home.
What you need
We've come up with a list of makeup bag must-haves for going neutral this season. The best part: You really don't need much, making this a great time-saving makeup trend and look for anyone dealing with a mad rush in the mornings (most of us).
Get the natural makeup look
The neutral face is beautiful on all faces and shapes, however it works best when skin is smooth, blemish-free and well cared for, since the neutral face really needs a clean, clear complexion (think of it as your canvas). If you have problematic skin, you are better off focusing on heavier neutral palettes of shadow and liner on the eyes and a pop of color on your lips.
- Apply a sheer skin illuminator all over face and lids. A natural, nude skin toned color is best. Try applying it under a powder foundation for some dimension and to achieve glowing yet matte, translucent skin (think celebs on the red carpet).
- Apply a sheer coat of nude beige/pink cream blush to cheeks, eye lids and lips. This also works best if applied before powder foundation so the color looks like it's coming from within the skin (another celebrity makeup trick we like to borrow).
- Lightly dust mineral powder foundation all over your face and lids to even skin tone.
- Apply a taupe shadow all across the upper lid and a line of shadow under the lower lash line. Then apply an ivory shade under your brow bone.
- Apply lash separating mascara and finish with sheer lip toned gloss over the cream blushed lips.
More makeup and beauty tips
3 Morning makeup mistakes to avoid
Are you sabotaging your beauty routine
Makeup guru Vincent Longo shares his winter makeup tips