Biggest Dress
Up Don'ts

If you're still looking for the perfect Halloween costume, we urge you to stay away from the following options. For every amazing, clever costume choice, there is one glaringly offensive costume that should best be avoided at all costs. We're sure there are countless offensive ways to dress up on Halloween, but we listed some of the ideas that really caught our attention.

1Nazi

Sorry, but this one is never going to be appropriate. Dressing up as a Nazi or sporting an Adolf Hitler moustache and swastika-emblazoned outfit might seem hilarious, but it actually errs more on the side of offensive. The Holocaust is no laughing matter and to model your costume after someone who committed so many atrocities is not acceptable, even if it's supposed to be just for fun.

Note: "Sexy" Nazi is an even worse choice.

Sexy Nazi

2Any recently deceased public figure

While you may think you're merely paying your respects to a celebrity or pop culture icon you loved, there is a certain amount of time that needs to pass before you turn that person into a Halloween costume. We know people do it -- they think it's funny -- but dressing up as someone who only just recently passed away is not only inappropriate, it's also disrespectful. We've all heard the saying "too soon" when it comes to making jokes about something tragic -- the same applies to Halloween costumes.

Amy Winehouse

3Anna Rexia

We recently laid eyes on a costume made to resemble a woman suffering from an eating disorder. It was a black, body-hugging mini dress featuring bones painted on the front and a tape measure around the waist. Needless to say, we were speechless that something like that could exist and even more shocked that someone thought it was a good idea to wear it. Eating disorders aren't funny; they are actually a serious medical issue that shouldn't be relegated to an off-color Halloween costume.

Anna Rexia

4Pregnant nun

This one speaks for itself and definitely has the potential to rub a few people the wrong way. We once saw a woman dressed up as a Jack Daniels-toting, heavily pregnant nun. While not offensive to everyone, it still has an air of inappropriateness about it. If you are going this route, maybe keep it amongst friends, versus trying it out at the office or work Halloween party.

Pregnant nun

5Any "sexy" stereotypes

The first one that comes to mind is a "sexy" Native American, which is really just in poor taste. Dressing up as any racial stereotype is bad enough and offensive to many, but adding in the "sexy" factor (as mentioned earlier in association with the Nazi costume) simply amps up the inappropriate factor, or maybe even doubles it. Even if something seems funny, think about whether it might be disrespectful to those around you before you wear it.

Sexy Native American

Tell us

What's the most inappropriate Halloween costume you've ever seen? We want to know!

Share with us in the comments section below!

More halloween costumes

Halloween beauty trend: Violent Lips temporary tattoos
5 Fierce animal-inspired Halloween costumes
5 Celebrity Halloween costumes to rock this year

Comments

Comments on "Top 5 inappropriate Halloween costumes"

Bianca September 08, 2013 | 11:41 PM

...I like the Nazi one...I think I'll go as that, this year.

Bkay August 24, 2013 | 2:08 PM

THATS SO FUNNY... because I bought my costume a week ago. It's an Indian princess. I thought the idea was to dress up as something you aren't and/or could never be.... Every costume should be a compliment. It's impersonation and everyone knows that impersonation is FLATTERY!!

mon May 04, 2013 | 12:11 AM

"This list a little offensive".. Agreed hahah!

Anon February 07, 2013 | 2:40 PM

There just costumes..Seems like all the costumes you see are "INAPPROPRIATE"

Alice November 01, 2012 | 9:55 PM

See, this is the reason why I've lost faith at humanity. That people actually reason out that it's okay to wear it JUST to wow a crowd a halloween. Sheesh, attention-seeker much? I personally don't give a damn about Halloween because it's not celebrated in my country. And because you guys are celebrating it, you have all the rights to have fun because you're free, but you should be responsible. Of course the costumes are offensive, because they are just damn disrespectful. Using a country's culture or religion for fun and twisting it into something immoral is just plain offensive. Disrespect towards other races is no laughing matter. And even if some of the priests betrayed the trust of other people way back in the medieval times, you should still, at the very least, respect them, because they are sacred to other people. In short, be sensitive with your actions. People are really lacking good manners and right conduct nowadays.

serralou October 28, 2011 | 10:02 AM

Okay, I can see that the Nazi is probably a little offensive. Anorexia is kinda bad too, but really. I am planning on dressing up as Amy Winehouse for Halloween because I loved her music and her style. It certainly isn't to be "inappropriate" or "disrespectful". I think this list is a little offensive.

debbi October 19, 2011 | 8:37 AM

Are you people serious? I don't understand how anybody can think that dressing up as a deadly disease is funny. Do people dress up as cancer too? Even though what you're doing could be insulting or hurtful to somebody else, if it's funny to you it's okay? Does anybody else see a parallel to bullying here? Maybe you should all get together and have your own party and celebrate how rude and insensitive you are.

deb October 19, 2011 | 8:29 AM

I can't believe how insensitive these people are. Not to worry if your costume is offensive or even hurtful to another person. If it's funny to you, that's what matters, right? Sounds like the same kind of logic behind bullying to me. Maybe you should all get together at your own little party and celebrate how rude and uncaring you are.

Tia October 19, 2011 | 7:14 AM

Lighten up.

mandy October 19, 2011 | 1:03 AM

Ok. I can understand the pregnant nun probably would not be a good choice for an office party, and the Nazi outfit I can understand. But, dressing up as a "y" Indian is offensive...really?

Roger October 18, 2011 | 11:35 PM

So I guess dressing as an Alter Boy with a target on your bum might be out of line according to these standards????

Stephanie October 18, 2011 | 5:39 PM

Halloweens supposed to be fun exciting and filled with laughter why wouldn't your costumes be too. Get into the spirit! Besides the best part is dressing up and showing off your look.

Tres Kline October 16, 2011 | 6:23 PM

Halloween is for SHOCK VALUE! Either you're scared or you die laughing!!! The more outrageous the BETTER!!!! Just keep in mind time and place and before hand, KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE!

Jackie C. Robinson October 16, 2011 | 9:48 AM

If someone chooses to be offended by any of these, it is their choice and I am not responsible for someone else's choice.

Syl October 14, 2011 | 12:32 PM

Oh Come on! It's Halloween not a political statement. It's supposed to be horrifying or creative. Get over all this Politically Correct crap will ya?

Joiedevivre October 14, 2011 | 11:42 AM

I once dressed up as a "shotgun bride". I was pregnant, dressed in white, a veil and toted a BB gun... not politically correct but a little silly!

Sue October 14, 2011 | 11:28 AM

Someone dressed up as a used Maxi Pad ranks right up there. I laughed out loud the first time I saw a picture. When I saw the costume in person I threw up in my mouth a little.

eric October 14, 2011 | 10:50 AM

me neither. my costume is going to be an y pregnant anorexic philippine nun from the SS holding up a picture of steve jobs and asking where her babydaddy is

will October 14, 2011 | 10:47 AM

i dont really see how any of this could be offensive