Natural redhead

For fair-skinned redheads, makeup colors should be natural and not overpowering. If you have red hair, follow these simple makeup tips to bring out your natural beauty and look your best!

Best makeup colors
for redheads

Use a yellow-based foundation

Stay away from foundation with a red or pink base. They will make your complexion look too ruddy and clash with your hair color. Redheads should use a sheer yellow-based (or peachy) foundation that is sheer enough to let your fabulous freckles show through. Look for makeup that contains SPF 15 or above to protect your fair skin from the sun's harmful rays.

"Redheads usually have fair skin, so it's best to opt for a sheer foundation to let the natural skin, and possibly freckles, shine through!" says SheKnows beauty expert Nina Sutton.

Keep eye makeup neutral

Neutral eye makeup doesn't have to be boring. Pick eyeshadow in shades of beige, camel, honey, gold and chestnut. Apply brown eyeliner with a light hand and smudge it a little for evening. Skip the blacks — brown liner and mascara enhance the skin and hair color of redheads.

Nina advises, "Redheads should opt for brown- or mauve-toned eye makeup with brown eyeliner or mascara (or other soft colors, such as plum). The eyeliner should also be a pencil or a powder (applied with an eyeliner brush) for a softer look vs. liquid."

When it comes to women with red hair, they can get away with warm peach-toned blush and should avoid bronzers, says Nina.

Avoid red lips

"To finish the look, nude and beige lip glosses look great on redheads," says Nina. The general rule is to avoid pink and red lip color if you have red hair. However, rules are meant to be broken and you should experiment and find out what works best for you. Blue- and gold-based reds can look great on some redheads.

When it comes to pinks, you might be surprised which colors will complement your hair color and skin tone. A cherry-pink or bright plum might look amazing. Select matte formulas or lip stains rather than an ultra-glossy or extra creamy lipstick.

More makeup tips

Find more makeup tips by eye or hair color

Makeup tips by hair and eye color | SheKnows.com Makeup tips for blue eyes makeup tips for brown eyes Makeup tips for green eyes Makeup tips for redheads Makeup tips for brunettes Makeup tips for blondes

Comments

Comments on "Makeup tips for redheads"

Barbara December 31, 2013 | 9:42 PM

Warm, tomato reds make great lipsticks for redheads. Be sure to use blond eyebrow pencil or brow powder in an auburn shade to define your brows. Brown-black mascara is your best friend. Tinted moisturizer with an SPF of 15 or higher is your go-to face makeup. Go with warm, peachy blushes.

Lela November 07, 2013 | 7:07 AM

I've seen MANY redheads(Natural and Bottled) pull off red lipsticks. You just need to find a shade of red that looks best and I tend to love a warmer red when I rock out the red lips.

staceylee October 09, 2013 | 7:06 AM

I'm a natural red head. RED LIPS LOOK REALLY GOOD ON ME! always get good complements when I wear red lipstick. honestly, dark makeup looks good aswell. light makeup tends to look better, but dark makeup still looks great.

Sheen August 19, 2013 | 3:02 PM

I'm a strawberry blonde with green eyes. All I wear is eye makeup because I hate covering up my freckles but I wonder how to really make my eyes standout. I know that celebrities have professionals to do their makeup but their eyes always pop any suggestions?

Racheal July 28, 2013 | 10:56 PM

I have stopped wearing make up black makes me look awful the brown I used made my eyes look really red and puffy I can't wear foundation its to think and powder doesnt do anything for my skin I like a smokey eyeshadow but it looks nasty on me... I dont wanna wear bland eyeshadow either... I am at wits end !!!

Nat June 27, 2013 | 3:19 PM

I agree with the above comments, I don't follow any of those rules... my personal favorite make up trick is using blonde eye brow pencil to enhance the eye brows, and 'Benefit' bronzer as shadow above and below the eyes, to give a sun kissed glow. I also use bronzer to enhance my cheek bones and for head and under my jaw line... as well as use black liner and masacara. I've tried brown and it looks like ----, I've also tried using blush and it looks like ----

Sarah June 23, 2013 | 7:17 PM

I agree with some of these rules, but not all. Nude, beige, and lighter pink lipsticks and glosses are my go-to colors when I want a little lip color. I do think that bright red lipstick can be unattractive with really light skin like mine, but deeper reds and ones with pink or orange tones look good. Yellow-based foundation? No! I have used yellowy foundations and concealers before, and they don't even remotely compliment my skin. And just neutrals for eyeshadow? I think there are so many colors out there that you shouldn't just settle for the neutrals, unless that's what you like. Try them all, and use whichever ones suit your personal style. Also, dark brown eyeliner (at least the ones I have) makes me look even more pale than I am. People have actually asked me if I'm not feeling well while I'm wearing it! I stick to a little black eyeliner just under the eye, and black mascara just on the upper lashes does magic for me.

Sam May 13, 2013 | 9:18 AM

I agree with some of the above comments. I think these rules are a bit old fashioned and nearly all are rules that don't work for me. I get the most compliments with a bright red lip or a clashing fuschi lip and must always have a black liner and mascara as opposed to brown.. I also use different shades of bronzes to highlight my cheeks. Every red head has a different colour skin tone and eye colour so you have to find what works to you. Sticking to the 'traditional' red head rules has definitely stopped me experimenting in the past , but no more of that for me. Breaking these rules has been the best thing I have ever done. I also don't believe the model is a natural read head looking at her skin tone.

Red Rocks Robyn December 22, 2012 | 12:07 PM

I want the last three minutes of my life back. Make up advice for DYED reds is vastly different than NATURAL reds, even when that natural red is enhanced. Skin tone will always relate to natural coloring. she knows nothing.

Modus Operandi October 05, 2012 | 9:40 PM

I am a natural redhead with freckles and couldn't imagine using a foundation with yellow undertones! Not all redheads require the same colors for proper matching. Also, red lips can look incredible on natural redheads when the right red is found. I have found that reds with blue undertones work best for me, and yes, a rich red can be done well. I searched for articles about makeup for redheads to find new and fun ideas, not restrictive rules on what I should never do.

Janel May 01, 2012 | 3:57 PM

Not all redheads have a yellow undertone. For years, I tried to wear yellow-based foundation (common redhead rule) and couldn't figure out why it didn't work. I have a definite blue undertone. It's true - red is harder if you have red hair and a blue undertone, but it's just like clothing. Try as many on as necessary. There's one out there that will work!

Kate December 21, 2011 | 5:17 PM

I don't appreciate how the model in the picture isn't even a natural redhead. Dyed redheads have completely different rules than natural redheads. And while such a guide is nice, and I spent years thinking I had to follow it, recently I've branched out and tried things that used to be considered redhead "no-no's" and I've never gotten more compliments. It's all about the particular shade. Any colour could look good on you, just so long as you have a shade that compliments your skin tone. (which varies from redhead to redhead)