Green-eyed woman

Buying makeup is a whole lot of fun, but it's not just about picking shades that complement your skin tone. You should also take your eye color into account as well. If you have green eyes, try these makeup tips to bring out the best in your eyes.

Best makeup colors
for green eyes

Play with purples

Bring out your gorgeous green eyes with purple shades of makeup. Because purple is on the opposite side of the color wheel from green, it's a great choice for green-eyed gals. To widen the look of close-set eyes, apply shades of deep plum eyeshadow toward the outer edges and a lighter shade of purple toward the inner eye. If your eyelids are a little droopy, do the opposite. Avoid purples with blue undertones, as well as blue eyeshadow and eyeliner. If deep shades of purple are a little too much for you, ease into the purple look by using grayish-lavender shadow.

SheKnows beauty expert Nina Sutton advises, "For green eyes, choose color tones such as dark green, lavender, purple, plum or lilac. Gold and copper are great for highlighting green eyes. For eyeliner, it is best to avoid black and to choose browns or gray, which are much softer and not so harsh. A general rule of thumb for green eyes is to choose warm shades vs. cooler shades. Choose mascara in a brown tone as well so the face does not look harsh or overpowered."

Avoid silver

If you want to experiment with metallics, avoid silver shades on the eyes. However, bronze, copper and gold look absolutely fabulous with green eyes for evening. Earthy brown or dark green eyeshadow with flecks of gold are also terrific choices.

Ditch the black eyeliner

Everyone loves black eyeliner but it isn't the best choice for green-eyed women. Use chocolate brown or espresso liner for everyday wear. To spice things up, try plum or gold. To open up your eyes and make them pop, add a little white eyeliner to the inner corner near the tear duct. If you absolutely have your heart set on black liner, pick charcoal instead of true black. But believe us — brown will look much better!

More makeup tips

Find more makeup tips by eye or hair color

Makeup tips by hair and eye color | SheKnows.com Makeup tips for blue eyes makeup tips for brown eyes Makeup tips for green eyes Makeup tips for redheads Makeup tips for brunettes Makeup tips for blondes

Tags: green eyes

Comments

Comments on "Makeup tips for green eyes"

lidia April 01, 2014 | 4:05 PM

I think the tip about black liner is more for really pale girls with green eyes.... Its too severe.... dark brown is way more attractive

emmy March 15, 2014 | 1:26 PM

I have to disagree with the silver eyeshadow. I have bright emerald-y eyes and my go-to is a semi-metallic silver. The trick is not to go too dark. I recommend starting with a layer of pearly white from the eyelid up to the brow, then a light silver on your eyelid. The black eyeliner this is semi-wrong as well. If you just line your eyes with it then yeah, it looks a little off. But a deep black smokey-eye will really make the green pop. I can also say that a pretty yellow lemon eyeshadow will make you eyes pop. Make sure it's a different color then your skin tone, though, or it will just look cakey.

Maddie November 26, 2013 | 2:09 PM

This gives me so much info on my makeup!!! The only thing is: I have a lighter brown hair and lighter,(hazel,brown and green eyes and I am gothic. Heheh, yeah it's obvious in a teen huh? I know I can use charcoal eyeliner, but I just love black!!! I think I can try purple... Do you think if it goes from black to dark purple to purple coming from the inner eye, would it look good? I'm so confused!!! >.

Dani October 24, 2013 | 12:41 PM

I beg to differ on the color choices. I currently have silver eyeshadow on, and it looks really good, while on the other hand, browns and golds overcome my eyes and make them look bloodshot and watery, like I have bad allergies. I have Dark brown hair, a pale face, and very light green eyes.

ZaftigWendy August 22, 2013 | 12:38 AM

I have green eyes that can appear greyish blue if I wear the wrong makeup. What I've found that works well to bring out the green is to use a lilac-y color that's got a good bit of pink in it. I also use the Almay pencil eyeliner for green eyes (it's a plummy brown) and brown-black mascara. Sometimes I add a bit of light gold on the lid only to bring out my deep-set eyes. If I want a natural look, I simply use blush as eyeshadow. It gives a hint of color that helps bring out the green in my eyes, but without looking "made-up."

Mel June 13, 2013 | 3:25 AM

Can I suggest more orange tones to bring out green eyes.. be bold!

campbell April 29, 2013 | 3:28 PM

i tryed this but i find it still is not bringing out the green in my eyes, i have used browns, blacks, purples and golds. nothing has worked so far:(

Keira November 09, 2012 | 10:37 PM

I use black eyeliner all the time, but it actually works. I find black eyeliner works better than brown.