What To Wear This Fall
Everyone has their opinion on what's hot and what's not each season. However, the experts do have a general consensus for fall - the boyfriend's cardigan is definitely in and purple is the color of the season.
We talked to various style experts about fall fashion trends and got some great tips on what to wear this season.
Style maven Jean Vouté Pratt of The Style Observer was kind enough to offer us her suggestions. Jean's picks for fall/winter are a blend of stylish flair and understated comfort.
1. Slouchy boot. This will be the boot to have for fall/winter. Perfectly suited with a pair of skinny jeans tucked in with an oversized cashmere sweater.
2. Boyfriend's cardigan. This looks great over jeans or belted with leggings and a pair of great boots. A pick that's sure to last beyond the season. The purple boyfriend cardigan pictured here is available at Nordstrom for $248.
3. Ruffled blouses are still going strong for fall. In a rich plum, it goes with all your browns, grays, and black. A great accent piece.
4. The skirt style to have for fall is a high-waisted pleated mini. Worn with tights, you can dress it up with pumps or wear it with a pair of boots.
5. Cropped leather bomber jacket. Basically to be thrown over everything from a flowy top to a a t-shirt and jeans.
6. Fringe bag. The fringe is certainly in for fall. You'll see fringed bags by high-end designers like Prada to Urban Outfitters - where the price is more reasonable.
Arlene Goldstein is the vice president of Trend Merchandising and Fashion Direction from Belk, the largest privately owned department store company in the United States. Here are some of Arlene's hot picks this season.
Hot handbag trends"Who says bigger is always better? This fall petite shoulder bags with lanky straps in raspberry or violet hues are perfect for ever girl on the go. The look is practical, hip and pretty for every age," says Suzanne Victor, Westcor Style Panel. "Real of faux, large or small, shoulder bag or clutch, crocodile seems to be the leather of choice for handbags this fall."
Shari Greenbaum, Partner/Buyer for Nora Blue and Cream at Mandalay Place in Las Vegas thinks we will still see plenty of large handbags this season.
"Bags are still big and hardware is still important. We are seeing a lot of patent leather and colors; purples, berries, moss greens and terra cotta. Fur trimmed and shearling trimmed bags are in and very cool."
The Nancy Gonzales croc clutch pictured here is available at Neiman Marcus.
Our fashion picksWith so much to choose from, it's difficult to narrow down. But if you were to add five key pieces to your wardrobe this season, here are our favorite fashion picks.
1. High heel suede oxfords. Though booties are definitely in, if you can just buy one new pair of shoes, make it a high-heel oxford. Menswear-inspired footwear goes feminine with high heels and peep-toes.
2. Chain-handle bag. Handbags come in all shapes and sizes this season. Choose a glossy patent leather or croc-embossed with a chain handle and other metal hardware.
3. Romantic ruffled blouse. Ruffles and lace are hot right now. Match a frilly blouse with a pair of motorcycle boots for a dramatic contrast in styles.
4. Colorful pendant. You don't need much jewelry to make a big statement. Choose a large pendant necklace in a bold color, such as purple, aqua or berry. Keep the rest of your jewelry to a minimium.
5. Knee-length dress. Though mini-skirts are popular this fall worn with tights and boots, a knee-length dress can be a lot more versatile. Choose from sleek, body-hugging silhouettes or full skirts for a night out on the town.