Get Healthy & Beautiful Nails

Many women battle dry, damaged nails that split, peel or break. Though sometimes weak nails are hereditary, you can take some measures to help your fingernails grow longer, stronger and healthier. Follow these tips to help prevent and repair damaged, brittle nails.
Healthy nails

Soak nails in olive oil

For weak, thin nails, soak them in extra virgin olive oil 10-15 minutes a day for a month, then twice a week thereafter. This inexpensive home beauty treatment will help fortify damaged, weak or peeling nails.

Use a cuticle cream

A soothing cuticle cream like Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme helps nourish dry cuticles and brittle, damaged nails with vitamin E. Massage the cream into and around your nails nightly before going to bed.Washing dishes

Wear gloves for chores

When doing the dishes, cleaning and gardening, wear gloves. Detergents and cleansers are harsh on your fingernails, causing drying, spitting and peeling. Soil and gardening can also cause damage to your nails.

Find a miracle treatment

Sally Hansen Miracle Cure for Severe Problem Nailsworks wonders. It stops nails from peeling almost overnight. Using a mineral rich formula with protein and antioxidants, this treatment helps restore dry, splitting, damaged nails. A clear coat of nail polish may also help protect nails.

Eat biotin-rich foods

Make sure your diet features foods rich in biotin, such as liver, cooked eggs, whole grains, cauliflower and avocado, among others. In addition to other health benefits, biotin can help strengthen and thicken nails. You can also take a biotin supplement, if necessary.

Don't overuse your nails

Your fingernails aren't intended to be tools to open soda cans, dial the phone and other tasks. Instead, use a pen or other object rather than your fingernails to do these everyday tasks.

Take a multivitamin daily

Vitamins are essential for your overall well being and can do wonders for your nails too. Lack of vitamin A, vitamin C and calcium can cause dry, brittle nails. Be sure to take a multivitamin and calcium supplements daily. Also be sure to eat a protein and calcium rich diet.

Avoid nail polish remover

Don't use nail polish remover more than once or twice a month, if possible. And never use a nail polish remover that contains acetone, which can dry and damage nails.Hand lotion for nails

Massage your nails

Massaging your fingernails stimulates blood flow to the area, helping them grow longer and stronger. Use a moisturizing lotion and massage hands, cuticles and the nails themselves. Also, get into the habit of applying lotion immediately after washing your hands.

Drink lots of water

We all know how good water is for your overall health and that goes for your nails too. Drinking water can help hydrate dry, damaged nails, just like it does for hair and skin.

More fab beauty treats & tips

Get creative with your nails
Hot weather beauty tips
Need inspiration? Check out our cool nail designs

Comments

Comments on "Top 10 tips to prevent and repair dry, damaged nails"

Gigi February 22, 2014 | 10:58 PM

Try Bliss Kiss Nail oil (amazon) and then follow up with Nailtiques. My nails have never been so strong and they grow so quickly with no peeling or hang nails and my cuticles are amazingly moisturized.

Tracey February 15, 2014 | 10:36 PM

This is a horrible problem to live with, I have suffered the same problem, and the answer is none of those described, it is because I am allergic to formaldehyde and it is used in nail hardner. The exact thing that you want to use to stop your nail peeling and splitting. A lot of people have this allergy, yet it has not been banned by the FDA. However in Canada it has been banned from nail polish, check carefully if it is an ingredient then stay away from it.

Saf January 24, 2014 | 2:33 PM

You say don't use nail polish removers but then you say use nail strengthener do how do you take the strengthener of

Dori November 11, 2013 | 12:21 PM

My nails have been peeling and breaking for quite sometime. I have started to soak my nails 10 min. a day in olive oil for the past week. This seems to help and they seem to be getting stronger. Thanks for the tip!

Terry October 12, 2013 | 5:04 AM

I had beautiful nails until my early 50's. At that time they started splitting. My question is when soaking nails in olive oil is it ok to have nail polish on. My nail look so bad I am embarrassed to have bare nails!

Dee August 03, 2013 | 12:44 AM

I have, now and again, tried the Sally Hansen products. The results have always led to a worsening of my brittle nails. The product chips off within a day or two and takes layers of fingernail with it. I always forget to save the receipt and take pictures of the before and after affects. I would love to send all my Sally Hansen products back for a refund. Recently I found a different product called Pink Armor, hoping that it would work better than the Sally Hansen Products. A disaster. As bad or worse than SH. I have never indulged in a manicure but I would be interested in seeing what a qualified manicurist would say about the state of my nails. I eat well, I use a good quality lotion on my hands eseveral times a day, and still get favorable result.

ann July 11, 2013 | 2:54 PM

I think it would help if you were to have pictures of these damaged nails, and then give us the treatment for repairs. My nails have been splitting, peeling, and breaking. I don't have long nails anyway, but would like them to be stronger,and healthier. Before and after pictures would be very nice.Thank you for all your input,love the websit.

somya June 05, 2013 | 7:00 PM

thankyou for so many tips but you should mention more tips about how to grow nails very very long in a short time

MamieLee May 23, 2013 | 3:44 PM

Iron is important, too. I was having trouble with peeling/breaking nails, (in the last year in particular), and it turned out my iron was low (ferritin level), despite eating healthy, and taking a multi vitamin and biotin supplement. Make sure your levels are truly low before taking extra iron, however, as too much can be toxic. A good, gentle iron supplement is Floravital.

Karen Smart May 18, 2013 | 12:00 PM

I've damaged my nails by biting off acrylics ..... slap wrist, bad I know but now I need to know how to get my natural nails into good condition, wasn't sure if rubbing oil into them daily would help or hinder so after reading this, I will give it a go.... and I have learnt from my experience :-/

dina January 15, 2009 | 5:09 PM

Sam December 16, 2008 | 3:36 PM

Some awesome tips, thank you!! I have heard that there are some products at www.nailaidcares that can help make your nails healthy and beautiful. Has anyone tried them before?? Could you please let me know, thanks!!

sigourney_staves November 15, 2008 | 4:08 PM

I think you should have different images of damaged nails and tell us what we can do and the corse of them lol

brandi September 05, 2008 | 3:40 PM

totally awesome beauty tips!!!!!!!!! i cant wait to tell everyone i know about your website!!!!!!!

NORA September 04, 2008 | 5:53 PM

GREAT SUGGESTIONS! What about Protein? Will that help nails grow better?

tyas September 03, 2008 | 8:11 PM