Treatments For
Your Freckles

For those women prone to freckles, you may see more of them appearing during the summer months. If you want to fade your freckles, there are several ways to do so, from topical creams to chemical peels.

Woman with freckles

What are freckles?

A freckle is a heavy deposit of melanin in one particular spot on the skin. The cells that produce the melanin (melanocytes) are triggered by sunlight. Though you can't stop freckles entirely, staying out of the sunlight will help prevent them. Always wear a good sunscreen, even if it's overcast outside. The sun's UV rays can be damaging even on a cloudy day. Wear a wide brimmed hat whenever possible in order to avoid direct sunlight.

Treating freckles

If you have freckles are want to get rid of them, you can reduce their appearance with several types of treatments.

Over-the-counter bleaching creams

Topical bleaching creams normally contain a bleaching agent called hydroquinone. These creams can be effective, but sometimes take months for desired results. You can also get prescription bleaching creams from a dermatologist that contain Retin-A or other ingredients. Side effects may include lightening of the skin around the freckle, drying and peeling. Dermatologist treatment

Chemical peels

A doctor can administer a chemical peel to reduce freckles and other skin imperfections. Superficial peels can be done quickly and don't require any downtime. However, you will probably need a series of peels before you notice any substantial improvement. Deep skin peels are more effective, however your skin becomes very unsightly right afterward. Therefore, you may experience a significant time away from work. Deep skin peels are very harsh. Talk to your doctor about the benefits and the risks.

Laser resurfacing

Laser resurfacing is another in-office treatment that has proven effective in treating freckles. You will normally see results in one treatment, as the laser removes the epidermis. Recovery time is usually about a week. Laser treatment is quite expensive - over $1,000 per treatment.

Intense pulsed light therapy

One of the newer skin treatments, intense pulsed light therapy (IPL), uses pulses of broadband light sent through a prism to rejuvenate skin, improve texture and reduce freckles, age spots and other skin problems. The layers of the skin are not broken, therefore recovery time is minimal. Several sessions spaced three to four weeks apart are normally needed for full effects. However, the benefits can last a year or longer. Freckles

Embrace your freckles

Instead of trying to get rid of your freckles, you can embrace them. Protect your skin with sunscreen to help prevent skin cancer, but learn to love the freckles you have. Freckles are cute and part of you being you!

Summer skincare

Comments

Comments on "Fade away your freckles"

patty February 03, 2014 | 6:13 PM

a few on the nose were cute - now they've spread like a plague - on my chin line, lower cheeks, forehead... some freckles on freckles. A few sure, but now not so much.

Ambika Choudhary Mahajan August 19, 2012 | 12:04 PM

I do get a few freckles when I am over exposed to the sun. However, I do not feel the need to remove them- I find them y!! (AM I WEIRD???) What I do want to know is if freckles can be cancerous? Hope you will reply.

KEYWANNA February 18, 2011 | 10:38 PM

im a young black lightskinned lady with freckles i love them i think they make me stand out and make me different from other young black girls i will never get them removed i love them they make me.. Freckles are our beauty marks lady god turely blessed us !

deys February 13, 2011 | 10:48 AM

I love my freckles. I only have them across my nose and cheeks. I actually forget I have them until summer rolls around. I've never thought of ever trying to cover them up with makeup or undergoing some medical procedure to remove them; that seems so strange. But maybe if I had them all over my face/body I'd feel differently about them. My husband loves them too! Perhaps my freckles are what make my face seem younger to some people; I'm 28 but most think I'm in my late teens to early twenties. Freckles are great!

Mine January 29, 2011 | 9:48 PM

Life gets better. Trust me, there are people who think that your freckles are amazing. It's worth it to find someone who thinks you are awesome for who you are, inside and out.

freckledgirl August 29, 2009 | 5:39 PM

i hate my freckles so stop telling people to love themselves if there not happy with there freckles they should make themselves happy & get freckle removal!

??? December 23, 2008 | 10:20 PM

dear editor, you promote freckle removal, implicating that it's undesirable than tell people with freckles to learn to love themselves ????????

Keep-em December 19, 2008 | 4:17 AM

I think, people with freckles look more sweet, pure and young... Better keep what God has given you and consider yourselves as lucky!

Mark November 17, 2008 | 3:22 PM

I love women with freckles. I think there both beautiful and y! I hope one day to mary a women with lots of em. The more' the better!

Scarlett September 23, 2008 | 7:05 AM

Im 14, I still have a face full of freckles, Am I too young to get the laser treatment? my freckles make me look like a kid. I hate them so much its untrue. & Plastering yourself in foundation isnt the best option, That just makes you look realy orange and makes you prone to spots. Not cool,

sam July 20, 2008 | 7:00 PM

its not fair i cant tan =[ i just get freckles

Becky June 25, 2008 | 3:51 PM

I dont HATE my freckles but sumtimes i think they make me look too young,i cant get into any clubs but if i do get rid of them i mite be able too....But the thing is im so scared that i look even worse without them!!!

Chelsea June 25, 2008 | 2:10 PM

well, to be honest, freckles are cute when you're a little girl - not so much in your late 20s. a little bit is nice, but having them all over your face can be depressing...

Eddie June 05, 2008 | 1:26 PM

Ladies, please don't do horrible things to your face. Freckles are cute!