Summer Beauty
Natural Highlights

This summer, instead of heading to the salon to get hair highlights, do it yourself at home naturally. Using ingredients you can find in your own kitchen, you can have beautiful sun-highlighted hair in no time.

Woman with naturally highlighted hair

Natural highlights: Lemons, olive oil, honey, beerLemon

The best known of the natural hair highlighters is lemon. Mix 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice and 3/4 cup of water in spray bottle. Spritz lemon water onto your hair but do not saturate scalp. Leave mixture on your hair for 2 hours, spending at least 30 minutes of that time in the sun. Be sure not to get lemon juice on your skin before going in the sunlight. It could cause blistering. Condition your hair before and after using lemon because it can dry your hair.

Olive oil

You may know that olive oil is a fabulous hair conditioner but many people don't realize it can be used as a natural hair lightener too. Comb a generous amount of olive oil through your hair. Spend about an hour in the sun and then wash out the oil. Your hair will not only be naturally highlighted, it will be moisturized too! Repeat three days a week until you achieve the desired highlights.

Chamomile tea

Believe it or not, brunettes can get natural golden highlights this summer with chamomile tea. Boil a pot of chamomile tea and allow it to cool completely. Wash and condition your hair normally, then rinse your hair with the tea. Relax outside in the sun with your tea-drenched hair for 30-60 minutes. Repeat every other day until your hair has beautiful natural highlights.

Honey

Honey, though very sticky, can actually highlight your hair. You can apply honey straight to your wet hair and leave on for two hours. An alternative method is to mix equal parts of honey, lemon and water in a spray bottle. Apply to damp hair and spend an hour in the sun. You will need to wash your hair twice to get out all the honey. Honey gives hair a lot of bounce and natural highlights.

Beer

Light colored beer, such as Corona, is great for adding natural sun-kissed highlights to your hair. Get a six-pack of beer and empty four of the bottles into a basin. Saturate you hair in the beer and then head outside. Drink the other two beers while you wait for the beer to do its magic. About an hour later, rinse out your hair with cool water. Follow up with a moisturizing conditioner and style as usual. Repeat 2-3 times a week.

Summer haircare

The Jim Wayne Salon in Beverly Hills is one of the top salons in the country. Celebrity clients include Heidi Klum, Mischa Barton, Jonathan Knight, Keyshia Cold and several others.

We had the opportunity to talk with Jim Wayne and get these expert tips on summer haircare.

Summer haircare tipsWhat trends in color do you see this season?
Blonde, Blonde, Blonde! Blonde goes really well with the primary color trends in fashion right now especially since fashion dictates hair color, and blonde goes with everything. Colors like the reds are beginning to fade out.

Summer haircare tipsWhat are easy ways to make your hair look good at the beach and pool?
Use hair powder and surf spray by Bumble and Bumble. It gives a lot of lift. You can jump in the pool, get it wet and just comb it out. After you get out of the pool, you can just put more in and it'll pump it right back up.

Summer haircare tipsWhat hair care products to do you recommend to keep hair healthy in the summertime?
Davines buffer gel is an absolute must for the pool and beach. The line also comes with shampoo and conditioner, but is the buffer gel is an absolute must have. It's not oily or greasy.

Summer haircare tipsAny tips for quick summer hair styles?
Ellis bands (hair bands) are going to continue to be big this summer. The great thing about Ellis bands now is that they come assorted colors to match your outfit. Tape-on and add-on extensions are going to be big, but clip-ons are on the way out because they're too much of a hassle.

More fab summer beauty Tips

Comments

Comments on "Natural hair highlights - Homemade hair treatments"

Emma June 28, 2013 | 7:02 PM

The honey works really great on my hair because it adds a little extra bounce to my long hair.

Alex June 02, 2013 | 7:03 AM

Hi all, what works is a recipe where you use cammomile tea and lemon juice at the same time, with a teaspoon of salt, I think it's on wikihow. and as for damage - condition all the way, though the honey idea sounds like one I would want to try as well. Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I would be interested in trying the clove or rosehip tea trick or the carrot with beetroot juice for bringing out reds - my hair is dark blonde but has some orange highlights in it naturally. Has anyone tried this who has fairly light hair already? I'm cautious because I really don't want it to go carrot orange ginger, just bring out the reds a bit more.

Jennifer May 19, 2013 | 8:31 AM

I have short hair that is a medium to dark brown with some already golden strands due to all the sunlight shining on my head. People usually want their hair to become lighter, but I'm the opposite. How can I make my hair darker?

Katie April 09, 2013 | 9:53 PM

My hair is a weird puzzle. People think it is black but in the light, it's a dark brown to a regular brown color. Fortunetly, I've got these "highlights", that are completly natural (i mean, they were always there!) The older I get, the more "highlights" appear and the more light colored it is. Right now most of them are a golden blond color. What is going on? I'm a happy and very active person and i want my hair lighter so people will see I don't have black hair! But, these recipies create highlights. Or does it? Please help! I need to make my hair lighter! Thanks for the creative recipies! Katie

Kiana January 07, 2013 | 7:28 PM

I've just read all the above comments and was wondering if i should still use the lemon recipe?? I'm worried that my hair might get worse (colored. I really like my hair color at the moment. It's darkish blond and has got lots of completely natural light blond highlights. But I want more.... Should I use the lemon recipe?????

Tatiana October 17, 2012 | 7:46 AM

i have dark almost black/brown hair, will any of this stuff work with how dark my hair is?

Summer August 19, 2012 | 8:33 PM

I would suggest when trying these processes to do it in short spans of time at first. Everybody has different hair. In fact, I have to leave my masks on for hours if I don't go in the sun or I get virtually no change. I have tried lemon, honey, olive oil and cinnamon. None have "ruined" or "messed" up my hair. In fact the honey and olive oil with a splash of banana make my hair super moisturized. Know your hair and just be careful. From what I've experienced, these tips work when used properly.

Anonymous August 06, 2012 | 12:05 AM

I tried the lemon one and went out into the sun, but now my hair feels drier but my mom thinks my hair looks shinier?!

Jenny July 13, 2012 | 2:18 PM

I used the lemon trick and it totally didn't work. But what's weird is that now my hair's all wavy...

Gabby July 03, 2012 | 9:09 PM

I'm thinking about trying the lemon trick. Does it work for people with dark brown hair or does it make you hair orange?

Giselle July 03, 2012 | 2:23 PM

I know people mess up their hair like this all the time but it's not because of these tips. It's because they don't take proper care of their hair. You must condition condition condition. Get hair masks and leave inhabit treatments to repair damaged hair. I have perfectly healthy hair and do this almost every week an I live in Miami which means I'm at the beach year round. I just take the extra steps to make sure my hair stays healthy. Avocado masks and chocolate masks are honestly the best and they help with split ends as well.

Sharon June 29, 2012 | 3:27 PM

This scares me. I’ve seen so many people mess their hair up doing these tricks at home. Contact your salon. They can give you a 10 foil highlight price that will give you a better look for fairly inexpensively. Trust You Professional.

Mary Anne April 21, 2012 | 2:14 PM

My hair has been damaged from highlighting and I was growing tired of the time it took to comb out the tangled mess it became after shampooing and conditioning. It was stressful. I was seriously thinking of cutting my hair short to get rid of all the damage. Then my stylist recommended the Shielo Color Protect Shampoo & Conditioner. The Shielo Color Protect shampoo left my hair in such great condition that I went back to their website and bout their Antioxidant Hair Protectant. Last night I used the Shielo Antioxidant Protectant for the first time and just after shampooing it out, the comb ran right through the damaged strands. Plus, it smells great. I can not believe how much of an improvement I have seen already and I have not even had these products for a whole week.

emily September 25, 2011 | 8:43 AM

i would say you should use honey its sticky but it works for me i use it 3 times spo far and i see good results in my hair and i am only 13 what you do is add honey to a container that has a lid with it put about 4 small spoon fulls in it and about 3 times more conditioner and mix it let it sit in the bowl with the lid on for 10 to 15 min and put it on your hair what ever you want changed put a plastic bag or hair cap on it let it sit for 30 to 40min and rinse after it sits and your good to go.

jazz August 03, 2011 | 3:45 AM

they are enough and pretty good hair highlights but the only best red hair highlight what i can say is to pour clove tea on hairs, whil u pour the content of the tea sit in the bathtub and close the drain to make sure that stain does not catches,then rinse the hair with the clove tea 15 times and after u rinse let the content of the tea sit on ur hairs for 15 minutes.well or if u cant do this u can try this with carrot jucie and beet juice mix togather

Fashion Blog June 19, 2011 | 4:28 PM

Lemon is my favorite! Only problem is that since my hair got a little bit darker, i tried to put lemon the other day and it turned too orange!

Dawn W May 24, 2011 | 7:57 PM

I tried the lemon juice trick before,but I don't know how well it works because I couldn't finish.I went outside to get sun like instructed and had to run back inside right away because a bumble bee was after me!Seriously.

Hanna May 11, 2011 | 8:20 PM

Well Regina... Nobody knows actually...

Hanna May 11, 2011 | 8:16 PM