Woman exfoliating back

Exfoliation removes dead skin cells, leaving your skin radiant and smooth. Whether it's bikini season or you just want soft, clean skin, exfoliating your skin from head to toe will get you glowing.

Get smooth,
glowing skin

Many women exfoliate their faces but forget about other body parts. As the weather heats up and you get bikini-ready, you should exfoliate all over. Exfoliation is also important before applying tanning products or when rejuvenating winter-weary skin.

How to exfoliate

Exfoliation productsSupplies:

• Exfoliating cleanser
  • Loofah, body brush or exfoliating gloves
  • Pumice stone
  • Body lotion

Instructions:

1. Before stepping into the shower, brush your dry skin with your loofah, body brush or exfoliating gloves. This will help remove the loose skin and prepare your skin for the exfoliating process. Begin with the soles of your feet, working your way up your body.
  2. Get into the shower and wet your body from head to toe. Don't exfoliate your skin if you are sunburned or have any open cuts or wounds.
  3. Use a pumice stone on your feet to eliminate rough spots and calluses. If your feet are extremely rough, soak them in a basin of warm water mixed with a cup of milk for 30 minutes before getting into the shower.
  4. Apply your exfoliating cleanser to your loofah or gloves. Begin scrubbing your body in a circular motion starting with the bottoms of your feet and working your way up. When you reach the bikini area, don't scrub too hard because the skin is very sensitive.
  5. Use a body brush to exfoliate your back and other hard-to-reach places.
  6. Be gentle on your face, particularly around your eyes and mouth. Use an exfoliating product especially formulated for the face, which is gentler than products designed to be used on the body.
  7. Don't forget about your hands. You want them to look and feel soft and smooth too!
  8. Rinse your body with lukewarm water, and follow with the coldest water you can stand. Apply a shower gel to soften your skin, if you'd like.
  9. After stepping out of the shower, apply a moisturizing body lotion all over. Body lotions and facial moisturizers containing alpha or beta hydroxy acids are ideal choices because these acids continue to remove dead skin cells.
  10. Use body moisturizer once a day. Exfoliation is drying to the skin, so you must keep your skin hydrated.

Exfoliating products

Select exfoliating cleansers that contain sea salt, sugar, ground almonds, walnuts, seeds or other grainy components.

Exfoliating once or twice a week is usually enough to achieve silky skin; however, women with oily skin should exfoliate more often than those with dry skin. If your skin becomes excessively dry or irritated after exfoliation, don't scrub so hard. Cut back on how often you exfoliate, and explore the possibility that you may be allergic to the products you used.

Here are some of our favorite exfoliating products:

• Belli Skin Smoothing Body Exfoliator Belli Skin Smoothing Body Exfoliator
  • Zia Age-Defying Skin Clarifying Body Polish
  • Lucky Chick Mimosa Jasmine Violet Sugar Body Scrub
  • Sundari Omega 3 and Flaxseed Body Exfoliator

Find out how to find the best exfoliator for your skin >>

More skin care tips

12 Steps to smoother skin
Smooth operator: 20 Ways to exfoliate in 5 minutes
The fresh face look at Fashion Week

Comments

Comments on "How to exfoliate your skin"

Sandy January 04, 2014 | 6:35 PM

Is it ok to exfoliate your face with broken capillaries?

Megsolly December 21, 2012 | 12:46 PM

I will like to know the exfoliating product for my face and the one for my body

Monica September 30, 2012 | 2:04 AM

This is a wonder....its making my skin much more soft than before... Thanks

Mameltha Luteganya August 26, 2012 | 8:55 AM

Mine its not a comment,but Iwould like to ask that which is the best exfoliator for the very oily skin type?

Me January 18, 2012 | 11:07 AM

Exfoliate!

Stefanie H. August 15, 2011 | 10:16 PM

I use "Le Edge" to exfoliate and it works so well! Just Le Edge and warm water and throw away all the chemical scrubs and loofa's! I've had mine for 9 months now and it still looks and works like new.

talers March 11, 2010 | 10:13 AM

Please explain why you should start at the feet and work your way up... That just seems illogical to me. Why not top down? Thanks!

Joyce Blanks January 25, 2010 | 8:18 PM

Can you send me some information about how to exfoliate my face and body. I would love to have glowing and soft skin. Thanks so much.

sanreorganic.com December 22, 2009 | 7:20 AM

An all natural exfoliator is usually your best option, no need to apply harsh chemicals to your skin when your trying to keep it healthy! Try and all natural product line like SanRe Organic Skinfood. sanreorganic

antiagingmasks.com October 02, 2009 | 3:58 PM

Exfoliation is the best way to kick start your skin care regimen, I’ve found it best to use products that have completely natural and herbal ingredients.

Xanthe Eades October 08, 2008 | 1:51 PM

I bought a Le Edge when I was backpacking around Australia nearly a year ago now. It still looks like its brand new, and it still works as well as the day I first bought it. I use it several times a week and I can honestly say that it does a brillant job. Its the best exfoliator I have ever used. I am always amazed at how super clean and smooth my skin feels after using it. I also looked at the other one Ana mentions, they dont look anything alike, so I dont know if one is a copy. To compare the two, I prefer Le Edge, its shape and look is more modern and sleek and it has a handle the other one doesnt, so Le Edge would be much easier to use. as well.

ana longton September 01, 2008 | 5:57 AM

Hello, I understand that Le edge is a copy of the original product, myskn exfoliator, which you can see at www.myskn. This is the best exfoliator I have ever used to smooth my skin before shaving my legs or underarms. It is so gentle I also use it to remove my makeup. Ana