Growing Hair Out
From A Short Style

Maybe you had a bad haircut recently, or perhaps you're making the transition from short to long hair. Whatever the case may be, it is oftentimes difficult to style hair while it's growing out.
Growing out hair

When you are growing out a short haircut, you will undoubtedly go through a transition period where your hair just doesn't look right. The hair over your ears will look funny. Pieces will be sticking out here and there. Ugh!

But it doesn't have to be a disaster. Follow these haircare tips and you will still look beautiful while your hair is growing out.

Hair products

The right hair products can do wonders. If your hair is frizzy, add straightening gel to wet hair. Then use a narrow flat iron to smooth it out. Another great idea is to give your hair some volume. Use a volumizing shampoo and style with hair gel to give it a spiky or bed head look.

Hair accessories

Though your hair isn't long enough for a ponytail, you may still need to pin it back. While your hair is growing out, hair accessories will become your new best friend. Fortunately, beaded hair combs, crystal barrettes and embellished hair pins are very popular right now. Use bobby-pins to tuck hair up on the sides. Then add fun clips, combs and other hair accessories to finish off the look.

Slick it back

Another alternative is to slick your hair back and show off your beautiful face! While your hair is wet, comb it from front to back. Get a silver dollar size scoop of pomade, such as Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Pomade, and rub it in your hands to warm it up. Then apply the pomade to your hair from front to back, working it through. Comb your hair once again to make sure the product is distributed well. Top it off with a spritz of hairspray.

Cover it up

When all else fails, cover it up. With so many cute hats available right now, you can find one for any occasion. Whether you are going out to lunch with your girlfriends or you have a date with a special someone, you can wear a suitable hat.

Haircare

Comments

Comments on "How to style hair while it's growing out - Haircare tips"

eva December 21, 2011 | 4:17 PM

ive had my hair short for about a year now and ive tried growing it out before, it got to my chin and it got on my nerves so i chopped it off shorter than before with a left side undercut.now i want long hair like taylor momsen but let me tell you, growing out an undercut is a pain in the a**! dont get an undercut unless your hair is about shoulder length so it is coverable if desired. short hair can be nice but its hard work TRUST!

Jen October 06, 2009 | 1:01 PM

I'm planning a big grow out but can't decide my plan of attack this time. I grow and cut off so often. One big thing I learned eight years ago - Nioxin. It makes your hair thicker and healther thus the grow out happens faster and is so much easier to handle with thick hair instead of my normal baby fine hair. I think keeping long layers as you get the length is the easiest way. The layers give you movement and style.

Kayla September 11, 2009 | 8:23 AM

I WENT IN FOR A TRIM.. I asked the lady to trim it ... my hair was to my shoulders. As I sat there, she cut my hair off in the back up to the BASE of my HEAD. I was livid... and my hair is extremely too short. Now i have to wait about six months for it to be back to normal... :( but thank you for the tips

Sal July 19, 2009 | 11:14 PM

I am a boy trying to grow long hair. Should I use hairs clips and pony tales. Also my mom doesn't like long hair on me so how can I hide it from her

Gia March 27, 2009 | 11:07 AM

I got my hair cut yesterday. I wanted an inch off to get off the ends because I have really dark hair and recently started highlighting it. First the lady almost ripped out my eyebrow piercing, then she cut it to my CHIN. I cried all day but I know it will grow back. Until then, accessories will be my best friend.

Devyn March 25, 2009 | 8:04 PM

I had such a cute hairstyle it was short and spiky in the back and longer in the front but now I'm growing it out and my hair seems to take a long time to grow but I'm being patient with because in the end I know it's going to look great :)

Jessica February 06, 2009 | 7:07 PM

Yeh I am in high school and ever since i was little i had very long hair and it was horrible it was all split ends and stuff because my mom never let me get my hair cut so when i was 12 i got it cut to my sholders and for two years everytime i got it cut shorter and more layers and now i am sick of short hair i have straight frizzy hair i can't curl it it won't stay, it won't even scrunch right and when i want it to be curley i have to go to the salon and sit there for 2 hours to get it curled because it can not be hot rolled due to all the layers so i am tryig to grow it back out

Taylorr. January 01, 2009 | 4:09 PM

yeahhhhh. i'm growing my hair outt~ it sucks. it's almost to my shoulders and it looks really bad.

Christina November 12, 2008 | 8:37 PM

I'm in high school and I have had extremely short hair for the past three years and it looks great. But now I'm tired of it and need a change. Growing it out is quite tedious.

ruby October 11, 2008 | 1:19 AM

it sux haveing short hair ,my friends said i look better with long hair sux 2 be me

hillary July 15, 2008 | 10:44 PM

a few weeks ago i decided to chop my hair extreamly short ,like halle berry. i had bleached my hair and it was breaking in huge chunks on top, so i thought "ill start fresh." well i failed to relize that as its starts to grow my hair is going to go look like a mushroom, because its so thick and wavy. i just wish i had a full time hair stylist!!

lisa July 01, 2008 | 11:47 PM

Jason, Thanks for the links, but the sites use such poor English that it was too frustrating to read!!! I'd like to see more photos of accessorizing short curly hair.

alicia June 03, 2008 | 10:29 PM

Prefer to know about new hairstyles ideas ranging different tips for short, long and medium hair types along with hair care tips and styling hair products. Get them at hairstylesatoz and hairstyles-pics.

jason June 03, 2008 | 10:14 PM

Find Hair Styles and different haircuts gallery for all hair styles including short, long and medium. http://www.different-hairstyles/ http://www.haircuts-hairstyles/

Abby April 16, 2008 | 3:58 PM

In high school I cut my hair incredibly boy-short. The back was buzzed, and I looked like a complete mom no matter how high I tried to curl the layers and poof it up. The shortest I've gone since then is to my shoulders. I will never ever cut my hair that short again. It sucks - for me.