Small But Sexy

Those of you reading this do not know me. Thus, I can get away with telling you all sorts of wild stories about my sensual prowess. And, while it may be true that I'm flaxen-haired and have an affinity for bar-top dancing, if I were to claim that I was blessed with hot curves and a billowing bosom, it would be a bold-faced lie.

Flat and beautiful: Mischa Barton and Kate Hudson

The Chronicles of tiny women

Apparently, when God was giving out cleavage, my mom was in the wrong checkout line. We all have our secrets, we all have our beliefs and we all have our covert weapons. For those of us nature forgot to give cleavage to, making the most of what we have is a constant uphill battle.

Some consider padded bras a solution, but not Jane Jacobs: "Why would anyone wear a padded bra if they are small chested? If you take off your bra, your breasts go with it."

"As a chronically small-busted woman living in a city of overwhelmingly distracting cleavage, I have tried every non-surgical method of bust enhancement that is on the market today," says Stephanie Hagopian. "The biggest problem with enhancing one's cleavage is doing it in a way that won't totally disappoint the man you're with when your enhancement goes flying under the bed."

That takes most of the inserts out of the running -- though they're still fun to try out every once in a while. (In fact, Stephanie recommends Bliss Spa's Nu Bra Backless Strapless Bra to spruce up your décolletage.)

"The topic of small breasts is a huge one for the mental health of our culture," says Nili Sachs, psychotherapist and author of Booby Trapped: How to Feel Normal in a Breast-Obsessed World. She says 85 percent of women have poor relations with their breasts and have a general feeling of shame about size and shape that grows worse as our culture obsesses more about them.

saviors for small breasts

Bra solutions

Itty BittyBra was created for small-chested women. The sizes are 32 AAs, As, and Bs through 36As. And if you are looking for the maximum in uplift and cleavage, Evolution by Margarita Couture is by far the most amazing thing to come into my wardrobe…ever. The bra's built-in sculpted graduated cups are designed to create a natural look, either under clothes or worn alone. (This, I've found, in push-up bras, is rare.) Extra points for really hot interchangeable straps that allow each bra to be worn five different ways.

Push them up

We all have a few push-up bras in our wardrobe -- those are a great idea even if you are already well-endowed. But not all are created equal. The sexiest of the sexy bras for us tiny breasted women come from, believe it or not, Frederick's of Hollywood. A certain 34A girl we all know and love wears her Hollywood Extreme Cleavage bra religiously -- to much fanfare! But, we don't kiss and tell.

Sexy little things that we are, push-up bras can not be the be all. Shirley of Hollywood sells uniquely bold and sexy intimate apparel, and has taken special consideration to design sexy lingerie, corsets, bustiers and assorted underthings for the smaller sizes that are often ignored by other lingerie companies.

Make the most of what you've got

Listen to grandma's old advice -- Stand up straight, shoulders back. This tip alone is worth at least a cup size! Choose flattering clothing -- fitted but not tight, and try on a variety of different necklines to see what flatters your particular body shape the most. Finally, check out these great tips on an old Hollywood trick: Using makeup to enhance your cleavage.

You don't have to go for bust

Fortunately, there are still many celebrities who not only don't give into the "bigger is better" vibe -- such as Mischa Barton and Kate Hudson at the top of this page -- but they actually don't try to conceal the fact that their boobs are about 1/20th of the size of Pam Anderson's surgically enhanced models.

Remember how it works with men: size doesn't matter nearly as much as knowing how to use what you do have!

Tags: small boobs

Comments

Comments on "The tiny gal's tricks of the trade: Small but sexy breasts"

Beryl August 24, 2013 | 8:30 AM

I'm 5'2, 90 lbs, and a 32A/32B. I have a lil cleavage with a bombshell bra from Victoria's Secret, and that works for me. I don't hate my breasts, but ONE cup size is really all I would want. I don't need C's or D's, but a 34B would give me the cleavage I need. Since I'm so tiny it's just so hard to find clothes that fir. I'm a 00 pants size and I have to wear kids sizes. This guide helps a bunch though, hopefully I find something that works!

Jessica July 21, 2013 | 11:00 AM

I just had a breast reduction- from a 32 E to a 32 B. Having big boobs was awful and I'm so excited to be a much smaller size. Now I just have to figure out how to dress for my new shape.

Anonymous July 14, 2013 | 7:57 PM

I know what you mean Megan. I mean, being a developed teenager with small breasts I find it hard not to get myself down. But after reading blogs such as this one and realising the beauty and the benefits of being small-breasted I was coming to terms with my body and my hopefully A cup one day breasts. But the other day my sister noted how flat chested I was and I said half-heartedly ' I like them' and she said 'well, I wouldn't like it' (to have them) and she is a D cup. It didn't bother me at the time, but that night when I got undressed for the shower I cried for like, an hour and sometimes I just feel like no one understands. Then I tell myself how pathetic I am being but I can't help it.

Sol July 03, 2013 | 11:15 AM

Ugh. I Googled "best tops for small busts" because I needed ideas to make my own dresses and shirts. All the websites I've checked out so far talk about small breasts as though they were something that needed to be "improved" - use these bras to prop them up, wear these shirts to make them look bigger, use makeup to create the illusion of curves, etc, etc. Wait, WHAT!?!? I don't want my boobs to look BIGGER, why would I want that? All these stupid sites and magazines tell you that there's nothing wrong with having small breasts because YOU CAN MAKE THEM LOOK BIGGER, as in, "awww, but there is a solution for you, honey!" World, there's nothing wrong with small boobs because THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH SMALL BOOBS. They don't need to be corrected, enhanced, propped up. We don't need solutions for how to make an A cup look like a C cup (at least not all of us). I just wanted ideas to look nice with my A cups looking like a A cups. Yeesh...

Shelby July 02, 2013 | 8:58 AM

I am 23yrs, 5'4, 120lbs and a 32 a. Barely. I am really fit so my breasts are teeny tiny with muscle definition. I recently went to a consultation with a surgeon and after doing some soul searching I realized I don't want to be that girl. I want people to see my pretty smile and fit body that I worked hard for. The world is so corrupted. I had people in my life including my own mother, pushing the idea of implants on me. I now think why? So I can look like all the rest? This topic gets me so heated and sad because I feel as though all these beautiful women around me feel they need to change themselves. I understand it, I was feeling that way not so long ago, but god am I ever thankful I seen the light and am learning to love and accept what I have. Getting breast implants would never sit right in my deepest set of morals. Why the hell should I change? What is so wrong with small\flat chests? Nothing It's the world, all the stupid/naive people who buy into this have been brainwashed by the ways of the world and it is sad. I just want to say to all the women out there feeling inadequate that they need to learn to love themselves, confidence is a million times more y then silicone.

Gj June 18, 2013 | 12:02 PM

Hmm, I'm a bit late here to comment but I must say, I'm small chested and petite, but I've always placed an emphasis on other parts of my body...like my shapely rear that most big chested women lack. I'm sure you other women are beautiful, have fit bodies and another asset that you can enjoy flaunting for fashion that's not necessarily your breasts.

nkb June 06, 2013 | 7:02 AM

love being small chested. I can walk around without a bra under lined clothing and they remain perky at 40. I would NEVER want implants. eww.

Amber May 25, 2013 | 1:56 PM

I'll admit it, I just ordered a Frederick's of Hollywood Extreme Cleavage bra ... this was an awesome article altogether! Thanks for sticking up for the little girls! ... oh, that sounds wrong. But you get it.

Samantha May 20, 2013 | 2:27 PM

Hi I'm 23 and am 5 10 sadly i have on Brest bigger then the other ones a b while the other an a? So Im very self conscious about it after reading this article tho I feel more confident in myself but need advice which bra would be best for me?

Aly May 14, 2013 | 11:37 PM

Does anyone sell bikinis of bras for girls that are NOT even an A cup? I'm really embarrassed of my breasts because none of these wonder bras or gels or push up bras work when there is really nothing to push up! Touching my breasts is similar to touching a wall cause I'm literally flat! Can anyone please help me :( Is there some wonder pill or lotion or something that can at least make my breasts grow into an A cup? :( :(

Lynne May 14, 2013 | 10:16 AM

I was just under a 34A in my 20's and so, had implants. I am 5'8", 125, 37-25-36 with implants, but only 34 in the chest without. And I've been both ways because I had the implants replaced 3 times over the last 35 years! That is no fun, trust me! Complications and scars and contracture - even with great docs, but - the implants have to be replaced even without problems after 10-15 years... so now... I wish that I'd never had the implants at all, and learned to love myself when young. Now I've got scars AND a flat chest. Better to be who you are.

Nate675309 April 25, 2013 | 8:14 PM

As a man I can say that small breasts are beautiful. I have always preffered smaller chested women honestly. I say embrace it, be proud and love you for you. Any partner worth spending time with should do the same!

jeff October 01, 2012 | 12:19 PM

you should try this

Christine September 20, 2012 | 9:54 AM

34AA fits me the best. I used to be a "almost B" but after my kid and losing baby weight I just went smaller. This article was great. Really must embrace what we have and remember the good points. Headed out for a painless runn now.

jenna September 11, 2012 | 9:37 PM

I'm one of those who hasn't really been happy with my size since high school. Now, I'm in my 40s - no kids and I hit the gym. I'm a 32A on a good day but with the Intimacy measurements I'm a 30B. This is not normal for my age. After a lot of frustration with mega poof bras and a few pairs of silicone inserts, I'll waver between wearing these out and just going braless. And, I've started to buy much more daring tops only because I can get away with wearing stuff that's cut down to my belly and it's still completely decent. A younger girl can hope to still fill out. But at my age, it ain't happening. Surgery is pretty much not an option. So I admit to continued frustration and non-acceptance of myself, but my hubby is very encouraging.

Lana August 14, 2012 | 1:10 PM

I really love reading this, its making me tear up, i'm dealing with my own body image issues. wanting to be ideal and perfect just like kat upton, but with brown eyes and a flat chest... i'm not really close. it's hard to be happy with a 32-34A .... and not having any cleavage or being able to push ur boobs together even with a push up theres always a gap... anyways i'm really glad that there are girls who can love their tiny breasts even if they are not huge c's or d's which is the "ideal". i've been thinking of surgery but i think i'll do a raincheck because i've been reading horrible stories about problems that happen after surgery... and complications are 4 out of 100... not such a low percentage. :(

Nessa July 12, 2012 | 10:19 AM

Great article, Aly. I'm slightly less than a 32A and my mom is between 34B and 34C. Unfair! I don't think my boobs grew anymore since 7th grade. Anyway, Philippe Matignon has many XS & S bras that fit A cups. http://bit.ly/pmhloves

Bret June 18, 2012 | 6:55 PM

Speaking from a mans viewpoint that has dated all body types, I truly prefer Breasts, I formed my opinion at a fairly young age, my grandma was very well endowed, and her breasts hung down to almost her waist when she was sitting down, I thought to myself, small would be better, not so much to get pulled down with gravity. My 1st Girlfriend has small but beautiful breasts and I loved them, she was very y, but she was self conscious of her size, years later she had them enhanced and I really hated them, we were no longer going out, but she was quick to point them out. All I could think was if that’s what makes you happy, to be ogled my sleazy guys. There is more to a woman than her breasts, I wish our culture wasn’t so inclined to brainwash women into thinking that’s all men care about, or even that large “boobs’ makes you more of a woman, I say hogwash. Just my 2 cents.

Chanielle May 11, 2012 | 8:49 AM

Katie--I am right there with ya! I am less than an A cup too and can't fit into cute shirts, dresses, bikinis, bras, etc. It can make it a little harder to find that confidence as a woman. But it's there if you look hard enough!

Katie March 27, 2012 | 2:40 PM

Does anyone else have LESS than A cups? I'd be thrilled if I had A cups, but sadly I have less than that. I can't fit into any cute shirts.