Woman with face-slimming hairstyle

Face-
slimming
hairstyles

So you're looking to lose a few pounds and you're full on into it - cutting carbs, working out, keeping a food diary, the works. And your hard-fought efforts will no doubt pay off, but what can you do in the meantime to at least make yourself look thinner? Check out these 6 tips on choosing a face-slimming hairstyle.

What shape are you in?

When looking for the right face-slimming haircut, the first thing to consider is the actual shape of your face. Round faces are roughly as wide as they are tall… and since you're reading this, your face is probably rounder than you would like.

But whether your face is round, squarish, rectangular or heart-shaped, the goal typically remains the same: to make your face appear oval-shaped -- length about one and a half times its width, with your jawline being slightly narrower than your forehead.

Get a little tricky

Erik von Spindler, a stylist at Lukaro Salon in Beverly Hills says the right cut can help trick the mind's eye and make your face appear more slender. Layering is key for achieving that effect, he says, and there are also specific hairstyles to avoid.

Note

"No bobs and no short hair," says von Spindler. "Think vertical stripes on slacks or a dress as opposed to horizontal stripes."

Stylist Shellye Bolton at Scottsdale, Arizona's Spa Du Soleil, agrees. "I would probably not do anything too short, not do anything too wide, and have some fringing and soft lines around the face to conceal part of the cheek area and chin," she says, adding that hair should ideally fall somewhere between the bottom of the ear and the top of the shoulder. A side part will also help to de-emphasize your face's circular symmetry.

Bolton also notes that getting a cut that's smoother and closer to the head can give the illusion of a thinner face. Another way to create the suggestion of length in the face by is adding some height to the top… but do so within reason. "Don't get too big – none of the big Texas hairstyles," she says.

Forget the big bang theory

Both stylists warn women with round faces to steer clear of blunt-cut bangs – a straight-cut fringe across the forehead, or, as Bolton puts it, "Don't get the straight Buster Brown bangs of days of the old."

While most stylists recommend against a hard line across the top of your head, you don't necessarily have to avoid bangs altogether. "Pretty much every facial shape looks good with a little bit of a bang," said Erin Fink, a stylist with Sachi Salon in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Check out: Finding the best hairstyle for you >>

Color you skinny

In addition to a flattering haircut, both von Spindler and Bolton suggest using highlighting and color creatively to help to make your face appear thinner. "Contrast is good because it creates shading, and shading is also slimming," says Bolton. "So I wouldn't put a big blonde hairdo on a very large woman. I would probably have some blondes mixed in with some browns for a sun-kissed look."

Although Von Spindler said he turns to highlighting to add some depth and dimension, still, he suggests not placing too much emphasis on color. "It's really the cut that's going to make you look slimmer," he says.

Smooth it on, spray it up

Another consideration in trying to make your face look thinner is to carefully consider what you use to wash, condition and style your hair. "Product has a lot to do with keeping your look," says Fink. "You just can't wake up, blow dry your hair and think it's going to look good all day."

The right sprays, gels and creams can keep your hair in its most flattering form, boosting volume where you need it, and smoothing any rough spots. (Fink tells us that Bumble and Bumble styling crème has been a lifesaver for many of his clients.)

Don't forget that hair accessories -- from clips to barrettes, ponytail holders to chopsticks -- can also help you maintain your 'do while adding a little personal zing to your look.

Is there one best hairstyle for round faces?

Finally, don't think that having a circle-shaped face automatically means you don't look as hot as everyone else. Some of the world's most gorgeous women -- like Renee Zellweger, Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Catherine Zeta Jones, Drew Barrymore and Christina Ricci -- were blessed with round faces. You can bet that they have all learned how to pick the most complementary hairstyles, makeup and clothes for their million-dollar images.

And as these also girls prove, there is no one single haircut for round faces -- you have a variety of flattering options. Make your goal to seek balance and proportion, and with a little trial and error, you will find a hairstyle that suits you (and slims you!) perfectly.

Find out how to figure out your face shape and hairstyles for round faces here >>

More secrets to looking thinner

Celebrity secrets on how to look younger
Hairstyles that make you look younger
How to get younger-looking hands
Style trends that are aging you
Best products to fight wrinkles

More hairsytle tips

Photo credit: Adriana M. Barraza / WENN.com

Comments

Comments on "Hair styles that will make you look thinner"

Brittani June 05, 2013 | 6:00 PM

I always "feel" skinnier when my hair is straightened.

Becki Herman May 22, 2013 | 9:58 AM

Even though I am not quite sure what my exact face shape is, I do agree that longer locks gives the appearance of a thinner face. I think having longer locks make a woman look younger as well.

Emma May 01, 2012 | 11:53 AM

I feel like these were all tips that we knew, right ladies? But still... we always feel better/skinnier/cuter when we are having a good hair day. Having a good honest stylist and the right products makes all the difference. And the good thing about hair - it always grows!

Steph October 26, 2011 | 8:14 PM

I guess I break all the rules. I'm a bigger woman with super short hair with a squarish face, a large head and a thick neck. I've always gotten compliments when I have my hair short. People tend to notice my big green eyes.

Kara August 26, 2011 | 8:48 PM

Great article and thanks for the tips. I found a similar website that suggests using a diet and exercise routine to help you get a slimmer face. Once you have a slimmer face, no need to strategically get hair cuts to make your face look thinner!

Shahin January 12, 2011 | 10:55 PM

Superb hair style.

Shirley January 12, 2011 | 9:08 AM

I KNOW WITH MY HAIR TYPE WHICH IS VERY THINN THAT THE LONGER THE LAYER THE BETTER. i'M OLDER TOO NOT TO OLD BUT THE ONE THEY USED TO CALL THE DORTHY HAMIL THE BOB.

Ashish January 10, 2011 | 11:18 PM

I liked the article and agree with it to some extent. Being an Indian, I have seen many film actors changing hair styles in their movies to fit into the character. I really wondered when some sturdy actors changed their hairstyles in movies. And after that they looked very different, young and of course thinner than before. This article can be useful for many who are looking for that "slimmer look" instantly. Just change the hairstyle and hear it from others...

syed January 10, 2011 | 3:48 AM

i like the hairstyles with which we look thinner...very interesting article....keep it up..!!!!

syed January 10, 2011 | 3:47 AM

kiddo January 09, 2011 | 12:00 PM

I agree that changing hairstyles can definitely make you look thinner.

Neethu January 08, 2011 | 5:59 AM

It is true that there are hair styles that make your round face look thinner. These hairstyles are a little expensive, so be careful while choosing such hairstyle.

ANAND January 06, 2011 | 8:29 PM

i agree too ..all the people who they mentioned do not have really round faces..they starve themselves and end up with accentuated faces...nobody gave pics

Stephanie August 17, 2010 | 5:36 PM

I am 28 years new and I have a round face w a slightly pointed chin. I also have extremely curly hair. I have had a lot of style disasters in the past and trusting someone to cut my hair is really difficult for me. I am looking for a style of cut that will flatter my facial structure and also keep the curl.....please help.

SUSAN April 22, 2010 | 4:48 PM

I AM ASIAN AND I HAD VERY LONG HAIR. MY HUSBAND IS NOT ASIAN, AND HE ALWAYS LOVED WOMEN WITH VERY SHORT HAIR. SO, HE CUT MY HAIR VERY SHORT AND I LOVED IT. I THINK THAT SHORT HAIR FOR ASIAN WOMEN IS THE BEST WAY TO GO. ALSO, IF U HAVE LONG HAIR, YOU SHOULD DONATE YOUR HAIR. MY HUSBAND ASKED ME TO DONATE MY HAIR TO LOCKS OF LOVE. NOW, I WILL KEEP MY HAIR VERY SHORT. I AM ALSO PREGNANT, SO SHORT HAIR IS THE WAY TO GO.

Laurie April 16, 2010 | 3:19 PM

I have an oval face, age 45. I need a haircut and just moved back to Lakewood WA. "She Knows" sounds like a perfect place to learn exactly what type of haircut would best suite face, as well as whether or not to let the 'not so many' grays take over. I am trying to find out your phone number and nearest location. Thank you, Laurie

Ashleyyy February 19, 2010 | 12:32 AM

haha asian thats funny homie.....

Becky October 23, 2009 | 6:12 AM

did you really just say 'asian fobby'? what the hell is that supposed to mean? what are you implying about 'asian' hairstyles?

Jo October 12, 2009 | 3:07 AM

Thanks Angie! My exact same thoughts and struggles. I'm Asian with a round face and don't want a trendy Asian hairstyle because I'm a mature, confident woman in my 30s and not a teen or 20s something with a scene lifestyle.

angie September 11, 2009 | 12:11 PM

This didn't really help much... I see so many articles that talk about the same things but never really give great hair cuts for round faces. I think it's because they can't really find any real models or pictures of people with round faces. yeah, the ladies in those examples have kind of round faces... but they're not THAT round. I've seen rounder. Are there any really good haircuts? I feel as though japanese and korean hairstyle mags are the only ones with haircuts for real women with real round faces. (not ladies who weigh up to 120 pds) But, i don't want an asian fobby haircut. I want something else. Are there any other helpful resources than just trying it out and then sticking with a really bad haircut for a year or two?