drew barrymore

Hot hair for round face shapes

Many women have round faces -- and, as the celebs below show, that doesn't mean they're fat! If you're one of those girls, what are the best hairstyles for you? Get some tips -- featuring advice from hair expert Karen Shelton of HairBoutique.com -- here!

Best cuts and styles for women with round faces

Is your face really round?

Before we even discuss some great styles for round face shapes, you need to know how to determine the shape of your face.

Here is one way to figure out your face shape:

To find out the shape of your face, measure it with a tape measure or ruler. Take (and write down) the folTape measurerlowing:

• Measure your face across the top of your cheekbones, then measure across your jaw line, between the widest points.
  • Measure across your forehead at the widest point. Generally the widest point will be somewhere about halfway between your eyebrows and your hairline.
  • Measure from the the widest point of your forehead to the bottom of your chin. (Remember that you are measuring your face -- not your entire head -- and mid-forehead to chin will usually cover that area. )

There are lots of other ways women have used to figure out this shape -- from outlining the face on a mirror with lipstick to draping it with a towel and asking others to help figure out the structure.

You can try any of these tips or use the steps outlined above. Whatever your method, do remember that this is more about art than science! (And the fact that nobody really has a round-as-a-basketball head.)

But whether your face is considered round in the beauty and style realm -- or maybe is more oval or oblong -- you still have the same goal: to find the most flattering hairstyle possible.

Michelle Williams

Round face dimensions

If you have a round face, your face will be about as wide as it is long. This may vary a little where your face is not quite as wide as it is long, but usually pretty close.

If you have a round face, you will have fullness at and below your cheekbones. People with round faces also tend to have wide hairlines, less-pronounced chins, and their necks often seem short.

Below are the most common face shapes besides round. Most people will fit into one of the major categories, which also include:

• Oval Face - Length equal to one and a half times width.
  • Long - Longer than it is wide.
  • Heart - Narrow at jawline, wide at forehead and cheekbones.
  • Square - Forehead, jawline and cheekbones are almost equal in width.
  • Diamond - Wide cheeks, narrow forehead and jaw line.

Round face - Kelly Clarkson

Hairstyles for round faces

There really is no one "perfect" hairstyle for a round-shaped face, as many things factor into the total equation. For example, the length of your hair, its texture and weight, your age and lifestyle requirements all play a part in what is ultimately the best.

There are good general guidelines that you can follow, but the best solution is to find a style that works best for you and all your beauty needs.

If your face is round, the best hairstyles generally include:

1. Layered bangs rather than straight or heavy bangs.
  2. Short styles which give height.
  3. Styles that add length.
  4. Styles that keep the sides of your hair short or close to the face.
  5. Curls around the crown -- but never near the cheeks -- to create height. Keep the sides of your hair short with a curly style.
  6. Longer to very long styles, with bangs and a graduated shag or layers so that the face and the neck are given a slenderizing shape.

Up next: Get the best hairstyle for your round face shape! >>

Photo credit: PNP/WENN.com, Ivan Nikolov/WENN.com, Nikki Nelson/ WENN

Continue »

Comments

Comments on "Hairstyles for round faces: The best cuts and styles for women"

Heiniwanroi February 27, 2014 | 2:48 AM

I have a rounded face with a thick wavy hair...can you suggest me which haircut should i get..??..actually i want a haircut that can make my hair look thin...

zaylem chenim February 14, 2014 | 11:20 PM

i have a round face shape and i don't what hairstyle will suit me!! so i need some help

Elisha January 20, 2014 | 12:19 PM

i have a round face but i need to cut my hair short!! please do suggest a hair cut.:)

susan September 18, 2013 | 11:44 PM

I have more of a pear shaped face (smaller forehead and at cheeks and jaw line it is chubbier. Right now I have a short cut just below ears, I am 64 years old my hair is still kind of coarse and thicker at bottom in back and a little thiner on sides and top. I don't want a helmet head haircut and that seems to be what I get. I would like something modern and easy to care for. I color my hair it dark brown (no highlights) I want something to make me look younger! Please help.

shravya September 11, 2013 | 12:58 PM

My face is round. I have thin short hair. please suggest appropriate hair style to face.

Cami September 03, 2013 | 4:05 PM

This needs to be updated REALLY bad. Aug of 2008, come on!!!!

lakshmi uppala August 30, 2013 | 7:51 AM

Kate Hyde June 24, 2013 | 4:40 PM

I have round/oval face I believe, I have develop a double chin since I gain weight. My hair is thinning and I would love a haircut that would make me look younger and stylish. I am in my 50's . Just recently got my hair cut shorter in the back and longer in front. It parts to the side in front and the crown goes back. My question is bangs should I have bangs with this style.

Trisha May 14, 2013 | 5:30 PM

I have thin silver hair.....sl darker in back. i am in 60's and round face. i now have it cut chin length on sides, side bang, and nape line cut.(very short and sl layered) Thanks

Suzy March 10, 2013 | 8:28 PM

I have a round "baby face" and thank goodness I'm not overweight b/c it's so easy to develop a double chin with the rounb face.. Selecting the best style for you is a bit daunting but for the most part, I liked how they did Kelly Clarkson's hair. It was a bit blunt, but pretty. Any kind of bob, but no long hair on a round face; at least not below the shoulders.

brenda chitanda March 04, 2013 | 6:17 AM

those with round face should make sure they push it back to make the face look beaultiful

louise February 01, 2013 | 7:50 PM

I have a skinny round face my hairs been the same all my life besides having my fringe put in 2years ago! I have long hair (not to my bottom tho) and have long layers and a fringe , I'm growing my fringe out at the moment ! What hairstyles would you suggest also I'm 20 but look really young (someone fort I was 11) so I'm wanting something to make me look older ! Thank-youuu :)

tammy January 15, 2013 | 2:50 PM

I have a circle face and long (past shoulders )hair and curly.I am 42 and just need a different look.Any help ?

sakshi January 07, 2013 | 7:08 AM

i want a funky and a stylish hairstyle..but my face is big so pls suggest me a hairstyle according to that..!!

Kenia August 28, 2012 | 10:26 AM

I really like this article! my best friend has a round face and before I didn't really know what hair styles to suggest. I would love to see her with a short hair style.

courtny August 16, 2012 | 6:27 AM

So I want to do something different with my hair for a change. The cath is I want to cut it in a way that will make my very round face, look thinner...what do you suggest???

Amochunky July 24, 2012 | 6:14 PM

Im 15 and i don't know what to do I just got my hair trimmed today and it's a little longer than shoulder length and when it is straitened it shapes my face too much in my opinion I have very thick hair with layers also what should I do to make my face not so round ?

dia July 13, 2012 | 4:41 AM

i have a fivehead and a round face. should my bangs be heavy, light, side swept, blunt..etc? please help

rose June 29, 2012 | 10:46 AM

I HAVE NEVER READ ANYTHING ABOUT BIG FOREHEAD!!! so, what's the best cut for big forehead, straight, black fine long hair??? rounderd or oval face???? i subscribe to different style magazines but no one seems to deal with this? so, any professional who could offer styling advice???

Jamie June 19, 2012 | 9:05 PM

Im 14 years old and a need a new hairstyle. I have about shoulder length hair which is a lighter dark brown. I have a round face and im thinking about gettong side bangs. I have been told i look like Katherine Hiegl. Im 5'4. What should i do.