People often say that we should should always opt for natural and plant-based products over chemical or synthetic ones. But for one blogger, choosing natural hair dye led to a truly frightening allergic reaction.
Vlogger Chemese Armstrong found out a few months ago that she allergic to a common component in hair dye called Paraphenylenediamine (PPD). She still wanted to dye her hair, though, so she went to a place that was advertising a natural dye called henna. Many of us are familiar with it from the beautiful designs and painted tattoos, but it can also be a plant-based hair dye.
It didn't work out well. See below:
This was her face:
Her face swelled up to the point where she could no longer see and her head and scalp burned and itches.
"I was in severe pain from my scalp burning and itching with my face completely's swollen to the point I was unrecognizable. The most scary part about this whole thing is that my eyes was completely swollen shut where I couldn't see for 2 days....My doctor was afraid that it was going to start affecting my breathing which that didn't happen and as of today my eyes are open and I can see again but my face is still very swollen (I don't look like myself)."
Ouch. So scary. And also frighteningly possible. We have to be very vigilant about "natural" products and make sure there are no additives. We need to read reviews and be very mindful of any product we use and read the ingredients on cosmetics.
The only truly natural hair dye is no hair dye at all.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!