SECTIONS
What would you like to know?
Share this Story
/

One woman's makeup mirror almost burned down her house

Meagan Morris is an entertainment and lifestyle journalist living in New York City. In addition to SheKnows, Morris contributes to many publications including The New York Times, Yahoo! News, PopEater, NBC New York and Spinner. Follow he...

The scary reason you should always put your makeup away

We've all heard the same warnings about makeup.

Don't share mascara because it might cause infection. Watch out for allergic reactions.

These are important things to be aware of, but one woman has a warning for every makeup lover out there — and it's likely something you've never thought of before.

More: 10 Beauty experiences to give your makeup-addicted friends

"If any of you do your makeup in a little mirror in front of the window like I do, stash it away when you're done," Kasey Ault wrote on Facebook Dec. 1. "I just came home to a house full of smoke and found clear evidence of a fire on my desk."

Just had something very scary happen to me. If any of you do your makeup in a little mirror in front of the window like...

Posted by Kasey Ault on Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The reason: She believes her makeup mirror reflected the sunlight off the magnified side. "I'm extremely lucky the fire didn't reach the battery of my iPad, my wooden desk, my laundry basket next to my desk," she continued. It miraculously was somehow contained. I had my sweet chihuahua asleep in that room, along with my other three dogs and five cats in the house. I could have lost them all."

More: This foolproof method will make any lipstick matte

Though it's not common, fires resulting from makeup mirrors have happened before. Earlier this year, a British couple's mansion was gutted after a makeup mirror reflected the light. "Cases of reflected light triggering fires in homes are rare, however we would urge the public to be aware of the potential danger of reflective surfaces intensifying the sun's rays," a rep for the Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service told the Daily Mail in February.

It's most likely to happen in the winter months because the "low-lying sun can shine on fixed surfaces for a prolonged period." So while it probably won't happen to you, it's better safe than sorry. Just stick your mirror in the drawer when you're done applying your makeup.

More: Russian makeup artist sparks intense backlash over her dead fish creations

Tagged in
Comments
Follow Us

SheKnows Media ‐ Beauty and Style

Hot
New in Beauty & Style
Close

And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .

SheKnows is making some changes!