11. Daily use of a tan extender will extend the longevity of your tan.
12. Exfoliate from head to toe preferably the day prior to a spray tan, paying particular attention to areas such as your knees, elbows and ankles.
13. Moisturize after exfoliation the day prior to a spray tan.
14. Remove all jewelry prior to a spray tan and leave them off for at least 8 hours after.
15. When possible, try to wear thongs home from your spray tan appointment to avoid boots /socks/stockings which may rub off the tan solution.
16. Wear underwear that you don't mind getting stained.
17. Don't tint eyebrows the same day you tan — it can interfere with the spray.
18. Avoid spraying perfume or applying moisturizer to your face or body until after you have washed the spray tan off.
19. Avoid excessive hand washing prior to washing spray tan bronzer off. Baby wipes or Wet Ones are a good solution to keep your hands clean.
20. When showering off your spray tan, you may notice the water coloring, but don't freak out. It's probably just the bronzer washing off, not your actual tan.
21. After a shower, try to gently pat your skin dry and avoid vigorous rubbing when towel drying.
22. After showering off the spray tan, it may seem that the color has disappeared, but the color will continue to develop and process over a period of 12 hours.
23. A spray tan does not contain SPF! You still need to use a product with SPF on a daily basis to avoid sunburn and skin damage.
24. After your tan try to use shower gels rather than harsh soap bars. Avoid using scrubs for at least 7-10 days.
25. If you are having a spray tan for a special occasion, it is best to be sprayed one to two days before the event to ensure you're happy with your color.
26. If you're coming to an appointment after work, bring along some baby wipes or wet towelettes to remove deodorant or moisturizers before your spray tan.
27. When your tan is ready to be removed, the best form of removal is simple — a nice shower and good exfoliation mitts. Remember to moisturize after you've removed the tan, though.
28. If you're planning your spray tan for an event and having a pedicure and/or manicure as well, get your mani/pedi before you have your spray tan.
29. Your face will always be the first area to fade, simply because you wash it more frequently and use of makeup.
30. To prolong your spray tan, try not to use band-aids, pore strips or face masks, as they may remove tan as you rip or wash them off.
31. If you're going on a vacation to a tropical destination, remember that bug spray can remove or fade your tan if it's applied directly to your skin. Consider spraying your clothing or a "cloud" of spray that you can walk through instead of applying it directly to the skin.
32. Don't wing things. Discuss your tan color options with your spray tan professional to get the best results.
33. Inform whoever is spraying you of any dry skin areas, broken or abraded skin, wounds and allergies.
34. Try to make your spray tan appointment for a time that allows you to shower before your appointment.
35. Plan your exercise routine around your spray tan appointment to either exercise and shower before your appointment or wait until your tan has finished processing before exercising.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!