We’ve scoured countless images of trendsetters from around the world to bring you our ultimate roundup of fashion inspiration. All so you can reap the rewards and start globalising your style with our favourite looks from five destinations and our picks for making them work for you.
The look: Floral frenzy
Along with all the excitement happening on the runway, Paris Fashion Week Spring 2013 served up some ultra-chic street style. This year, it's all about la fleur, or should we say, the flower. Yep, that's right — florals are in. And not just a little floral print accessory here and there — it's all about over-the-top, floral-on-floral and vibrant colours. If you want to make this trend work, don't be afraid to layer your prints. You can also pare down the look using a neutral jacket, and be sure to accessorise in block colours (you won't need any more patterns). And do keep the jewellery to a minimum: You don't want to look très over the top. Here are our picks for pulling off this look.
- Go for easy glamour with this ASOS Maxi Dress in floral print (asos.com, $109).
- Be bold and accessorise your florals with these vibrant Sophia Webster Lola neon patent-leather pumps (net-a-porter.com, $302).
- We love the neutral colour and texture of this Malene Birger Taylor metallic-flecked tweed jacket (net-a-porter.com, $203). Perfect for paring down your look.
- Be a flower child from top-to-toe with the ASOS Premium Blazer and Pants in Floral Print (asos.com, $118 and asos.com, $73).
- Combine floral prints with a blouse for a relaxed look. For warmer days, we love this eye-catching Haute Hippie Floral Blouse (farfetch.com, $325).
- Days looking cooler? Slip on the ASOS Mina Floral Blouse (asos.com, $46).
- This CC Skye Bright Love Lucite clutch is the perfect mix of retro and modern (shopbop.com, $289).
- Keep accessories simple, like this Vita Fede Eclipse Bracelet (shopbop.com, $255).
- Nous aimons (we love) the caramel colour of this Tory Burch Marion Crossbody bag (toryburch.com, $225).
- Embrace neutral accessories with these acetate-framed Adalyn sunnies by House of Harlow 1960, (theiconic.com.au, $149).
The look: Layering, neutral colours, bold accessories
Take a cue from the Korean fashionistas who stormed the streets during Seoul Fashion Week. We're seeing colour palettes heavy on the winter neutrals paired with accessories in eye-popping fluoros. And speaking of "eye-popping", these ladies are working some serious chunky jewellery, not to mention baseball caps, huge envelope clutches, faux fur and (yes! yes!) actual sneakers.
To capture some Seoul street style, stick to darker colours for your "base outfit", then go wild with the accessories. If you're not sure where to start, we've rounded up some inspiration.
- Finally! An excuse to go wild on the faux fur. Try this purple feather shrug from Olga Berg (olgaberg.com, $77).
- Want a more full-on faux fur look? Get cosy in this Alice + Olivia Annistyn Round Collar Faux Fur Coat (oxygenboutique.com, $606).
- This BB Dakota Teagan Vest is perfect for layering (shopbop.com, $55).
- This ASOS Maxi Dress With Tiers is the perfect base for bold accessories (asos.com, $69).
- Did we mention we're a little obsessed with the idea of baseball caps? Accessorise with this patterned Wax + Cruz Road Trip Baseball Hat (shopbop.com, $111).
- For jewellery, go eye-popping and chunky with this Laura 8 silver covered necklace (farfetch.com, $287).
- Go for sunglasses with coloured frames, like these oversized round sunnies from Quay Eyeware (theiconic.com.au, $28).
- We saw this "Indie-Hi" sandal/high-top sneaker from Jeffrey Campbell and just went "wowza" (nordstrom.com, $93).
- For an effortlessly chic look, go for cropped pants like these ASOS peg pants in navy (asos.com, $33).
- Come on, how often do you get to carry a fluoro pink clutch with skulls on it? Ventidue lacquered skull clutch (farfetch.com, $621).
Cape Town, South Africa
The look: Textured layers
For serious South African style, we're liking layers, à la the street style on display at the 2012 Mercedes-Benz Cape Town Fashion Week. Try mixing fur, prints and texture alongside delicate accessories. Extra points if you don a pair of peep-toe shoes paired with ankle socks.
This look requires you to be utterly fearless. Layer items that have a relaxed fit and actively think about how textures, prints and interesting elements will work together as a whole. Use a peep-toe pump to amp up the femininity of the look, and accessorise with dark sunnies or a voluminous faux fur shrug to add sex appeal. This look could work in a range of colours but, personally, we like greens, blues, browns and blacks, with just a hint of gold in the accessories. Here are our picks for pulling this off:
- Think blue and green should never be seen? Think again! Sportscraft floral blouse (sportscraft.com.au, $89).
- We just want to stroke this velvet kiss lock clutch from Olga Berg (olgaberg.com, $41).
- This dark-toned bolero is perfect for getting that sexy-meets-retro thing happening. BB Dakota faux fur shrug (shopbop.com, $111).
- If you don't buy these teal stunners, we will! Taccetti Peep Toe Pump (nordstrom.com, $405).
- Finally, an excuse to bust out the ankle socks. ASOS Mini Dot Ankle Sock (asos.com, $8).
- Add some texture with this Alice + Olivia Bouclé mini skirt (theoutnet.com, $175).
- Keep it simple with this B-Low The Belt Gold Braid Belt (shopbop.com, $80).
- Hello, glamour puss. Cheap Monday Point Oversized Cat Eye Sunglasses (asos.com, $46).
- We repeat: Keep the accessories simple. Gorjana Graham Leather ID Wrap Bracelet (shopbop.com, $85).
The look: Bold colours, leather accessories
With Brazil Fashion Week came street style featuring knock-your-socks-off colours paired with leather accessories. Think chunky belts, bold-coloured sandals, patterned skirts, heavy cropped jackets and huge sunglasses. The key here is mixing bold colours with prints and leather accessories. Pick sunnies with coloured frames, neon sandals, bustier tops in bold hues and bold floral-printed skirts or pants. Then give the look a harder edge with leather accessories and a chunky cropped jacket. Here are our picks for making the look your own:
- We love the tough feel of this Alice + Olivia Vivien Zip Moto Jacket, (shopbop.com, $1,017).
- This ASOS Maxi Skirt in Digital Print is so breezy-looking that it make us want to frolic (asos.com, $91).
- In the immortal words of Carrie Bradshaw, "Hello lover!" Brian Atwood strappy tie stiletto sandal (farfetch.com, $634).
- Leather to love: Linea Pelle Perry Hip with Stud Tip Belt (lineapelle.com, $120).
- Kind of obsessed with this Elliott Lucca "Intreccio" Leather Crossbody Bag (nordstrom.com, $149).
- Huge sunnies with colourful frames are the go for translating this look to daytime. House of Harlow 1960 Willow sunglasses (theiconic.com.au, $100).
- Go bright (and sexy) with this sky blue Funktional Achromatic Bustier Top (shopbop.com, $68).
The look: Bright colours, textures and metallics
We were spoiled for choice with all the street style on display during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia. But we have to admit that the lady-meets-rocker look was the standout. There's usually a lot going on in this look, but let's break it down: Chanel-style jacket, layered necklaces, wide belt, chunky- knit-jumper-over-blouse, clutch, metallic leggings and wedge combat-style boots. Sheer genius, is it not? If you're stuck for inspiration, try mixing bright colours with metallics and woolly textures. Better still, take a look at our favourite items for bringing this look to life:
- Get your shine on with these gold Carlag leggings (yoox.com, $87).
- We adore the eye-popping orange hue of this Aryn K Women's Crop Jacket (amazon.com, $81).
- Use a blouse as a pop of colour under a woolly jumper. American Vintage Silk Shirt with Collar (asos.com, $173).
- The perfect knit. Maurie & Eve Celestine Jumper (theiconic.com.au, $84).
- Loving the colour of this Tarnish "Lizard Chain" Clutch (nordstrom.com, $56).
- Layer your jewellery to complete the look. Cloth Long Gold Layered Chains Necklace (theiconic.com.au, $8).
- Prepare to do some serious stomping in these Nasty Gal Thunder Wedge Boots (nastygal.com, $160).
- Cinch that woolly-jumpered waist with a wide, studded belt. River Island Studded Waist Belt (asos.com, $37).
More fashion inspiration
Fashion bloggers to check out around the world
Celebrity style evolution
Celeb winter fashion inspiration