Sleek and straight hairstyles always work well for party season, but if you want a look that's a little more sophisticated, follow these step-by-step tutorials for two sensational 'dos you can create at home.
Getting ready for a fancy Christmas party or a more formal celebration? This up-do strikes the perfect balance between sophistication and style, without pulling focus from your glamorous outfit.
To achieve the look, Tracey Hughes, creative director of Mieka Hairdressing in Melbourne and on the Gold Coast, offers the following tips:
- Blow-dry your hair as usual. "Use a nourishing mousse for volume and to help the style last," Hughes says.
- Set your hair into a soft curl, for extra volume and hold. You can do this using rollers or curl separate sections of hair with your straightener or curling iron.
- Next, flip your head upside down. "Do a loose plait on the lengths and secure the end," Hughes says. "Pop your head back up and gently pull the plait apart."
- Finally, loosely wrap your hair into a twist and secure with pins on the top of your head. Voila! A messy yet polished up-do that will last right through the night.
Sexy tousled curls
If your Christmas event is not quite formal enough for a fancy up-style, but you’d still like to turn heads with your gorgeous mane, try creating this sexy yet none-too-glossy style.
Hughes says you can achieve the look in four simple steps:
- Blow-dry your hair, once again using a nourishing mousse for volume and to help the style last.
- "Using a medium-sized curling tong, and holding the tongs vertically, wrap large sections of hair around the wand," she advises. "Hold each section for a minimum of 10 seconds then let the curl fall and allow it to hang, without touching it, to cool down."
- Pop your head upside down and shake your hair about using your hands. This will loosen the curls and prevent your style from looking like a mid-90s bridesmaid.
- "Lastly, spray in a little Redken Woolshake, to give a beachy look with incredible fullness," Hughes adds.
More hairstyle tips
Is the beach bad for your hair?
Hot hair trends for brunettes and blonds this summer
How to tame frizzy hair into sleek locks