Got a million different makeup products floating around but don't use half of them? Or maybe you're just starting out on your makeup journey? Whether you're looking to downsize your beauty bag or invest in the essentials, make sure you read our list of makeup bag staples.
A durable makeup bag that houses only your beauty essentials is a handy little pal to have when you're heading straight out after work, unexpectedly spend the night at your boyfriend's place or need a midday makeup touch-up.
There's no need to weigh your bag down with a thousand different shades of eye shadow, or matte and gloss lipstick in every colour, simply choose the beauty essentials that you need every day. The best way to ensure you don't go overboard is to invest in a quality, durable, waterproof makeup purse that's compact enough to fit in your handbag. The size of your purse will dictate how many products you can include.
Designate separate areas within your purse for different products so you always know where to find them and you won't be caught turning your bag inside-out and scrambling around looking for that elusive lipstick. It's also wise to buy a few smaller containers or zip purses to keep products like bobby pins, hair ties and makeup wipes clean.
Beauty bag staples
- Compact mirror: Look for one with a foldable cover to prevent damage.
- Lip balm: A quality lip balm with SPF will protect your pout from the sun in summer and cold winds in winter.
- Bobby pins and hair ties: For those with long hair, these are non-negotiable essentials. You'll thank us on windy days or sweaty nights on the dance floor!
- Mini hair comb or brush: A small comb is usually more than enough for when your fringe or mane needs a quick touch-up.
- Makeup wipes: Go for quality here and look for towelettes that come with integrated makeup remover formula so you don't need to pack another bottle.
- Concealer: This will be a saviour when a nasty blemish strikes on a day out.
- Foundation and applicator pads: Go with your tried and tested favourite and include a foundation brush or pad in a smaller bag for easy application. Depending on your skin type, a tube of tinted moisturiser might even be enough.
- Lipstick: Go with a classic shade like red or pink so you can add a touch of colour when a day date turns into a nighttime affair, or when heading out straight from work. Lipstick can also double-up as blush for your cheeks.
- Mascara: A failsafe tube of brown or black mascara will be ideal when you need a quick coat for your lashes on the run. You might like to opt for a waterproof product for extra protection from the rain, pool, beach or tears.
- Eyeliner: Save yourself the hassle of liquid liners and opt for a dark brown or simple black eyeliner pencil so you can apply it any time, anywhere.
- Eye shadow: Choose an eye shadow that offers multiple shades in the one compact product. Shimmery shades like light bronze and brown will be most useful to take you from day to night; they can also double-up as a contouring product.
- Small perfume: Look for a travel-sized bottle of perfume and store it in a safe space in your bag. A sample bottle of your favourite fragrance is perfect.
- Hand and face cream
- Hand sanitiser
- Dry shampoo
- Face refresher mist
For More beauty advice
Makeup tricks to make your eyes pop
Get glowing summer makeup
Makeup staples you should always have on hand