We've all been there: suffering through late or sleepless nights that wreak havoc on your face and affect the way you look. But we have a few makeup tricks that will make you look like you've had a full eight hours of restful sleep even when you haven't.
Bump up your skin care routine
While cleansing, toning and moisturizing are often enough for daily skin care, you might have to rev up your routine after a sleepless night.
- Soothe tired eyes with cucumber slices, or apply a de-puffing eye cream like Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Eye Gel by Bliss.
- Gently exfoliate, or use a targeted face mask to prepare your skin for your makeup application.
Lighten and brighten
Makeup highlights can give the appearance of lifting the skin, which will make you look less tired. Try one of the following tricks to give your skin an instant, uplifting boost:
- Gently highlight your face with a light layer of bronzer, like Diorskin Nude Tan Healthy Glow Enhancing Powder. This immediately gives you a healthy glow that will perk up your face.
- Highlight your cheekbones with a light shimmer, such as Clinique's Up-lighting Liquid Illuminator, as this will draw attention away from dark circles, tired eyes and a lacklustre complexion.
- Instantly refresh your skin by using a sheer illuminating foundation or BB cream to even out your skin tone and give a radiant glow. Try Stay All Day Illuminating Beauty Balm from Stila.
- Use a finishing power to set your makeup. We love Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder, which comes in six shades designed to create your perfect light. Moani Lee from Hourglass Cosmetics suggests using the pink-hued shade Mood Light to create a warm glow and erase signs of fatigue.
Find out more about BB creams >>
The eyes have it
Cover up the problem of droopy and tired eyes with these ideas:
- Use moisturizing eye drops to soothe and clear red eyes.
- Use an eyelash curler to pop open your eyes.
- Cover the entire eyelid with a neutral eye shadow, and then add a touch of pink or gold shimmer shadow to the outer corners of your eyes or just under the brow line to give yourself a bright-eyed look. Two of our favourite eyeshadows for this trick are the Lilac Rose Eye Palette and Shimmer Brick - Bronze palette from Bobbi Brown.
- For an instant eye lift, pay special attention to your eyebrows. Smooth your brow into a nice arch, and pluck away any stray hairs. Then fill in sparse areas with a brow pencil, liner or light strokes of a matte eyeshadow.
Dark under-eye circles make you look tired, so combat this problem with these tips:
- Mask dark circles, shadows and other imperfections by camouflaging them with a concealer.
- For best results, use a light touch, and apply only where needed.
All featured products are available at Sephora.
More makeup tips
Makeup tricks to brighten your face
Makeup tips for moms on the go
Hair and makeup tips from the pros