Clothes are more than just pieces of fabric. The right styles can do wonders for a girl's confidence. Ensure you look and feel your best by dressing for your shape with the help of this simple guide.
Inverted triangle shape
If you have a wide back and shoulders, you are likely considered an inverted triangle shape. Chances are you have an average waist and slimmer hips, so many styles look great on you. You just have to keep an eye on what tops you wear to ensure your upper half doesn't take on a masculine appearance.
- V-neck shirts are great at drawing the focus toward your decolletage and chest and away from your shoulders.
- Wraparound dresses made of soft fabrics such as jersey can help slim your waist and create a unified, feminine look.
- Skirts that are voluminous or flare out at the bottom can add dimension to your lower half. Just make sure to cinch them at the waist to complete the hourglass look.
- Wear bright colours and prints on your lower half to make it seem more dominant and balance out your upper body.
- Tops with a centre focus, such as embellishments at the chest or ruffles around the collar, draw the eye toward the centre and away from dominant shoulders.
- Avoid anything with a stiff, boxy shoulder line, such as wide jackets or high-necked dresses, as these can make your top half look extra wide.
- Avoid polo necks and heavy sweaters, as they can make you look top heavy and add bulk where you don't want it.
- When you carry your weight up top, a poorly fitting bra can ruin your look. If it's too tight, you may wind up creating the appearance of back fat. Visit a lingerie store, and get fitted to ensure you're wearing one that fits.
A rectangular shape means you're more or less the same size all through your chest, waist and hips. It can also be termed "boyish" or "athletic." Typically rectangular shapes have slim legs, long torsos and small chests, and fat is distributed evenly along the body. By picking clothes that emphasize your slim qualities in the right areas and create curves in others, you can achieve the perfect figure.
- With a rectangular shape, you likely have great legs, so show them off in short skirts and shorts whenever appropriate.
- Try cinching dresses or shirts with a thin belt in a contrasting colour. This will play up your lean figure and create the illusion of a more defined waist.
- Invest in a good push-up bra to create a curvier top half.
- Skinny jeans and leggings were built for your body type, so use them to your advantage!
- Prints and textures add dimension to your look regardless of your shape. So find as many shirts, dresses and skirts as you can in fun prints.
- Avoid plunging necklines that can make your chest appear even smaller. Instead, go for empire waist shirts that shape perfectly around your chest and make it look more curvaceous.
- Steer clear of clothing that is overly baggy, as this will leave you looking shapeless. Cinch baggy clothing at the waist, or have it tailored to fit you better.
Next up: Rounded shape >>