We have a total crush on Melanie Brown's chic 'do. Find out why in this week's installment of Celeb Hairstyle of the Week.
Who else loved watching Mel B on America's Got Talent last season? I sure did. Everyone's fave former Spice Girl has attitude, talent and style to boot and it's always fun to keep up with her beauty looks.
At a recent promo event for AGT, Mel swept her hair up into a wavy ponytail with loads of volume. I asked Justine Piecuch, stylist at Salon Capri, to share her tips for scoring the flirty 'do. Have fun styling, ladies!
Get the look
"This look is fabulous morning, noon or night. It's great for second-day hair or can really set a statement for an evening look. It's edgy, fun, and best of all, easy," Justine says.
- It's best to style this on day two hair. If you want to work on clean hair that's absolutely fine, though. The best length to work on is shoulder length or below. If you have short hair, add in temporary extensions for more length and volume. Editor's note: Get Mel's moisturized, piecey locks with a great shampoo/conditioner duo. We love R+Co's Atlantis Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Create a deep diagonal side part in the bangs. Blow dry (on dry hair) in the direction you'd like them to go. You can do a final spray at the end to hold these into place.
- With a flat boar's hair brush and a very light hairspray, gather hair into a ponytail. Brush out any bumps, and once everything is in place, secure with elastic.
- In the pony, using a 1/2-inch or smaller curling iron, start curling every piece. Grab small sections to create as much mass as possible.
- Once all hair is curled, pull curls apart with your finger or a wide tooth comb. Using the wide tooth comb, gently backcomb the hair to give even more volume.
- Take a piece of hair underneath the ponytail and wrap around the elastic to hide it. Secure underneath with a bobby pin.
- A beach spray will fully complete this look. Add more volume by layering the beach spray. If you don't have a spray on hand, any volumizing powder will work, too.
- When finished, in the back take a look at your head in the mirror. If you like how everything looks, secure it with a hairspray. Hold the bangs in place while you spray. Most importantly, have fun and make a statement.
More 'dos we adore
Bella Thorne's half updo
Cate Blanchett's glam faux bob
Nina Dobrev's wispy bun