He's styled some of the prettiest heads in Hollywood, and now Dove Hair and celeb stylist Mark Townsend is dishing on award season beauty trends, styling tricks and the perfect ponytail.
SheKnows: First, we have to ask: What were the big hair trends you saw on the red carpet this awards season?
Mark Townsend: There were two big trends this season. The first trend is all about getting the volume and the second is all about having beautiful, silky hair.
SK: What has been your favorite red carpet hairstyle you’ve created yourself?
MT: [There are three]: 2007 Golden Globes with Reese Witherspoon; 2013 Academy Awards with Jennifer Lawrence; 2009 Golden Globes with January Jones.
Photo credit: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images
Photo credit: Jason Merritt/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images
Photo credit: George Pimentel/WireImage/Getty Images
SK: You've styled a lot of celebs for the red carpet. What's your go-to hairstyle when you really want to give them that wow factor?
MT: There is really no go-to hairstyle. It's all about the individual and what they are wearing!
SK: Any amazing styling tips or tricks you have in your arsenal?
MT: I like to spray [hairspray] on a natural bristle toothbrush to tame any flyaway hairs along the hairline. Another great tip is to hold the dryer two to three inches from the hair to avoid creating unnecessary heat damage.
SK: What is the biggest hair styling mistake that most women make?
MT: Using too much heat. Some blow dryers and irons get too hot for the consumers. Also, take smaller sections of hair before using a flat iron. If you run a flat iron over too large of a section, only the top and bottom layers are getting the heat so you have to run the iron over the hair too many times.
SK: Now let's chat special event hair. Before a big event, are there any ways women can make their hair look extra amazing?
MT: I always recommend my clients use a moisturizing treatment the week before a big event. You can leave it in your hair while in the bath or while shaving your legs in the shower. Those extra few minutes on the hair make all the difference!
SK: What are your tips for making a hairstyle last through the night for a special event?
MT: Long-lasting hairstyles are really about the prep. I love the Dove Oxygen Moisture Leave-In Foam because it has a flexible hold without weighing the hair down so the style will really last.
The perfect ponytail
Creating the perfect ponytail is an art. Lucky for us, Mark has had plenty of practice. In honor of last weekend's Oscars, Mark created a sleek, sexy ponytail and was nice enough to share his tips for scoring the style at home.
- Before styling hair, prep for maximum silkiness and shine using Dove Pure Care Dry Oil Shampoo and Conditioner.
- While your hair is still damp, warm three to four pumps of Dove Pure Care Dry Oil Nourishing Hair Treatment with African Macadamia Oil in your hands and apply it to locks from mid-length to the tips.
- Now it's time to blow dry! Use a flat brush to get the desired sleek look.
- Next, brush the hair straight back and gather it into a tight ponytail. Secure it away with an elastic.
- Taking a small piece of hair from inside your ponytail, wrap it around the elastic and secure with a bobby pin on the underside of your ponytail.
- For added smoothness, run a flat iron over the ponytail in small sections.
- Complete the look by spraying Dove Style+Care Extra Hold Hairspray all over for long-lasting hold.
More Oscars beauty
2014 Oscars beauty report: The best looks of the night
The best Oscars beauty moments of all time
Get the look: Cate Blanchett's Oscars makeup
Photo credit: Mark Townsend