If there’s a surefire way to take your outfit from drab to fab, it’s definitely with a statement necklace. These babies are the bomb at adding dimension to any ensemble and can transform the most blah getup into a blingin’ sensation. Jazz up a plain T-shirt and jeans with a beautiful bib necklace that will turn heads immediately. Or jump on the bauble-trend train with an eye-popping piece that pairs perfectly with a button-down tee. Feeling fringe-tastic? Channel your inner bohemian in an over-the-top statement necklace that features a whole lot of fringe. If you’re more the girly-girl type, though, you can never go wrong with a pretty collar necklace for day or night.
- Kendra Scott Harlow Statement Necklace (Kendra Scott, $195)
- Pave Link Necklace (Lydell NYC, $50)
- AUDEN Lennox Fringe Necklace (Shopbop, $548)
- Ralph Lauren Semi-precious stone illusion necklace (Lord and Taylor, $64)
- Vince Camuto Beaded Collar Necklace (Vince Camuto, $128)
Step up your style game this season with a pair of seriously sassy glasses that make a major statement. Go for glasses in a bright, bold color like hot pink or orange to stand out from the crowd and really make your outfit pop. Or do the whole oversized thing and sport some shades that look larger than life like your favorite celebrity would. Want to get totally funky? Rock sunglasses in an unexpected shape, such as hearts or super-exaggerated cat eyes. Another simple way to let your shades take center stage is to buy a loud pair with ample embellishments.
- Miu Miu cat-eye sunglasses (LensCrafters, $340)
- Versace yellow glasses (LensCrafters, $315)
- DKNY oversized sunglasses (LensCrafters, $70)
- Ralph by Ralph Lauren tortoise (LensCrafters, $370)
- Tiffany & Co. embellished sunglasses (LensCrafters, $345)
Believe it or not, a handbag can make or break an outfit. Because you want your statement purse to be the center of attention, we recommend sticking with simple, solid-colored clothing. For example, a little black dress looks fab styled with a beautifully bedazzled clutch and basic platform pumps, while skinny jeans and a tee only need a neon bag to pack a major punch. If you choose to don prints and/or patterns, however, an oversized leather tote in a neutral color will still likely steal the spotlight (especially if it’s a coveted designer one, like Celine). Bags that boast bold embellishments like spikes and studs are automatic attention grabbers. And the more unexpected and eye-catching the material of the purse (think sequins or fur), the bigger the statement it will naturally make.
- Firefly Handbag by Elliot Mann (Liba Style, $229)
- Marie Turnor The Lunch Black Pyramid bag (Marie Turnor, $290)
- Free People Sequin Trove Crossbody (Free People, $50)
- Warehouse Color Block Zip Tote (Warehouse, $71)
- Anat Marin Siska Beaded Clutch (Anat Marin, $298)
How do you know a pair of statement shoes when you see one? They’re typically over the top, insanely glamorous, loud and proud and something you’d see straight off the runway at New York Fashion Week. Lady Gaga is great example of a celebrity who is famous for her headline-grabbing footwear (although her shoe choices are often highly impractical for the average woman). Knee-high and/or over-the-knee boots are a perfect statement shoe for winter. A sneaker wedge in a wild print is a fun choice for a fashionable tomboy, and any high heel over five inches tall practically screams, "Look at me!” Strappy sandals and pumps in electric colors are another no-brainer.
- Michael Kors Skid Wedge Sneakers (Macy's, $195)
- Cole Hann Air Lainey Open-Toe pumps (Dillard's, $148)
- VInce Camuto Kaleen Leather Bootie (Nordstrom, $149)
- BCBGeneration Wallee Flats (Macy's, $79)
- Timo Weiland for Tsubo pony-hair boot (Tsubo.com, $330)
When it comes to statement pieces, less is definitely more. Avoid a fashion disaster by sticking to one (two, tops) statement piece in a single outfit. Remember: You want to shine, not stick out like a sore thumb.
More fashion & style advice
Accessories worth investing in
10 Accessories inspired by red-carpet season
Outfits that look good in pictures