If you're looking for the latest all-natural and high-powered skin care product, look no further than the addition of light and refreshing rosehip oil to your beauty routine.
What is rosehip oil?
As you can probably surmise, rosehip oil is derived from roses. Manufacturers press and extract the oil from wild rose bushes that grow in the southern Andes, and then add the oil to skin care products or sell it by itself. The oil is a fabulous component of your skin care routine because it is full of beauty-boosting vitamin A, vitamin C and the essential fatty acids omega-3 and omega-6.
Skin care benefits
Like many natural oils, rosehip oil boasts a range of beauty benefits for the skin, hair and nails. But rosehip oil, unlike natural shea oil or cocoa butter, tends to absorb quickly and cleanly for a mess-free finish. If you add rosehip oil to your skin care routine, you can expect to see some of the following awesome benefits:
- Skin rejuvenation. Rosehip oil's vitamin A is known to promote healthy skin cell rejuvenation, which causes skin to glow and appear fresh and supple. The rejuvenation works on normal skin and also skin damaged by scarring or the sun.
- Pigment reduction. The vitamin C in rosehip oil reduces the appearance of dark spots, aging spots and hyper-pigmentation. Apply the oil to the affected area to see a reduction in unsightly dark spots over time.
- Improved complexion. If you suffer from dryness or eczema, nourishing rosehip oil will calm and moisturize your skin with regular application. Just do an "allergy test" on a hidden area of your body before applying to irritated patches of skin to make sure you don't have a reaction to the oil.
- Mess-free moisture retention. Rosehip oil packs a powerful punch of moisture for dry or mature skin, which can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles. And unlike other oils, the smooth and light texture of rosehip oil is unlikely to clog your pores.
- Bonus: Healthy nails. Nail health isn't exactly a part of your skin care routine, but regularly dabbing a bit of rosehip oil on your nails and cuticles will prevent hangnails and nail breakage.
Products to try
You can purchase pure rosehip oil, like Life-Flo Healthcare's Pure Rosehip Seed Oil (Vitamin Shoppe, $7) and apply directly to the skin and nails, or you can check out one of the following awesome skin care products that boasts rosehip oil in its ingredients:
Kora Organics by Miranda Kerr. This moisturizing blend mixes the benefits of rosehip oil with jojoba for a delightful scent, light enough for daily use (Net-a-porter, $49).
Antho Lullaby for Dry Skin. This organic serum combines rosehip oil with other oils like argan and grapeseed for a rejuvenating and firming beauty fix (Abe's Market, $20).
More on skin care
The best face moisturizers for wintertime
How to cure skin problems common during the holidays
6 Steps to making your skin glow