Naya Rivera and Shailene Woodley were two of our favorite beauty looks at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards. We asked their makeup artists to give us the lowdown. The best part? All of the makeup is from Target!
Shailene Woodley appeared at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards to promote her upcoming film, Divergent, but all we could look at were her Pucci skirt and gorgeous makeup. The actress — known for rocking the natural look on the red carpet — turned to makeup artist Gloria Noto to create the fresh, summery makeup look.
"I wanted to create a statement makeup look, focusing on the eyes. I chose to create modern, smoky, elongated cat eyes with a wet, edgy gunmetal look," Noto said.
The makeup pro used NP Set and Pixi products to create the look.
"I used a gray color palette for a monochromatic look. My inspiration behind the look was the beautiful blue and silver beading in her skirt," she added.
The best part? Every product Noto used is available at Target.
Get Shailene Woodley's MTV VMAs makeup
Noto gave us her step-by-step process:
- Using the Pixi Lid Last Shadow Pen in Mocha Mauve ($18), I applied the shadow to the entire eyelid and blended.
- Next, I rimmed the entire eye with Pixi Lid Last Shadow Pen in Graphite Glint ($18) and then blended both shades together.
- I applied the matte taupe shade in the Pixi Shade Quartette in Shades of Taupe ($22), blending out the edges of the eye and up the shade to the brow.
- I then used the two darker metallic shades on the eyelids for an edgy, wet look. I used the light shade in the palette to add definition to the cheekbones.
- Using the darkest shade in the NP Set Eye Palette in Atlanta ($20), I patted around the outer eyelid.
- Next, I used the Pixi Lid and Line in Smoky Black ($18) to line the inner waterline and upper lash line. This creates a definitive break from the brown and gray shades used in the eye shadows, further defining the eyes.
- I chose to use the white and peach shades within the Pixi Eye Bright Kit ($25) to highlight the cheekbones and around the mouth. This works to pull the mouth forward, making the lips appear larger.
- Then, I layered NP Set Pasarella Mascara in Black ($15) on the top and bottom lashes for volume.
- I then applied the matte gray shade in the Pixi Shade Quartette in Shades of Taupe ($22) on her temples to further contour her face and bring out her eyes.
- To round out the look, I applied Pixi Beauty Bronzer + Kabuki Brush in Summertime ($21) along the forehead and jawline, giving a bit of warmth to the face.
- Around the inner rim of the eyelids, I used the Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pen in Oyster Glow ($15) for added sparkle.
- Lastly, I applied the same Pixi eye pen on the back of my hand and then used a small makeup brush to gently buff some above her upper lip.
Get Naya Rivera's 2013 MTV VMAs makeup
Glee star Naya Rivera needed an edgy makeup look to match her black gown with side cutouts. Makeup pro Jo Baker knew exactly what to do.
"Naya Rivera's vintage cutout dress inspired me to throw back a little '70s disco glamour to create a 'Gun Metal Glamour' look," Baker said.
Baker also gave us the lowdown on creating the look with NP Set and Pixi products:
- I emphasized Naya's intense eyes with a showstopping molten metal reflection by layering dark shades of NP Set Day to Night Palette ($24) over her eyelid, blending the edges.
- I then went over the top with NP Set All That Glitters Gel Duo in Sao Paulo ($10) to add depth and shimmer to the eye.
- Around Naya's lash line, I smudged Pixi Endless Silky Eye Pen in Black Noir ($15), and then I curled her lashes.
- Next, I applied several coats of NP Set Glamorista Mascara ($16) — which created a great base — before adding some fluttery lashes.
- I applied NP Set It Takes Two Concealer & Foundation Pot ($35) to create a flawless base to keep the look velvety smooth for hours.
- Then, I applied NP Set Contour & Highlight Palette ($19) to provide beige through to warm bronzy tones on her cheekbones.
- For shinier spots, I applied NP Set Pasarella Powder Foundation ($30) with a soft, small, fluffy brush to set her look.
- I finished off her look with Pixi Succulent Lip Twin in Opal Orchid ($18) to create a neutral, soft, pinky lip.
Who had the best makeup at the 2013 MTV VMAs?
Sound off below!
More on 2013 MTV VMAs style
Miley Cyrus brings back the '90s with her MTV VMAs hairstyle
Fashion face-off: Selena Gomez vs. Taylor Swift at the VMAs
Ellie Goulding & more best dressed at the 2013 MTV VMAs
Photo credits: LaForce + Stevens