Before your spray tanning session
- Do exfoliate 24 hours before getting a spray tan to ensure an even application. Exfoliation sloughs away the dead skin cells, which will help achieve the longest-lasting tan possible. Use a water-based exfoliating scrub rather than an oil-based one. Oils may interfere with the spray tanning solution from developing properly.
- Don't apply any moisturizer, deodorant, perfume or other beauty products before your tanning appointment. They may also inhibit the quality of your tan.
- Do shave or wax the evening before your spray tanning session. If you shave after you get your spray tan, it will exfoliate the skin and affect the tanning results.
- Don't wear any jewelry or makeup to your tanning session. Pull your hair up and off your face and neck.
- Do wear a swimsuit, thong or underwear -- whatever makes you feel comfortable.
- Do ask the technician questions before your session begins. He/she will guide you on how to position yourself to achieve optimal results.
After your spray tanning session
- Do wear loose clothing and flip flops when you leave the tanning salon. Ditch your bra for at least six hours.
- Don't take a shower (or get wet for any other reason) for the first 24 hours after receiving a spray tan. Water contact will stop the tanning process.
- Don't exercise for the first 24 hours. Sweat will cause your tan to streak.
- Don't book any hair or nail appointments for 48 hours after your tanning session.
- Don't use soaps and other body products that contain parabens, glycolic alpha hydroxy acids or sodium lauryl sulfates -- they will fade your tan more quickly. Don't use a loofah, puff or wash cloth.
- Do moisturize every day -- morning and night. Also use a moisturizing soap-free body wash to extend the life of your tan.
- Do use a tan extender to reduce patchiness and extend the life of your tan. Use a product that contains a light DHA bronzer.
More summer beauty tips
Summer 2012 hairstyle trends
What to wear to a summer barbecue
Summer moisturizing guide