Top If Off
The updo in all its forms is a hairstyle staple. The topknot is a classic look and a good way to banish a bad hair day. A favorite of celebs like Kim Kardashian and Fergie, it also showed up on the Erin Fetherston runway during this season’s New York Fashion Week.
Harry Josh, the International Creative Consultant for John Frieda® and top celebrity hairstylist, gives us these tips to get your own elegant topknot:
- Apply the John Frieda Luxurious Volume Thickening Mousse ($6) to damp hair and blow dry.
- Once dry, gather all hair high on top of the head.
- Wrap hair around itself completely into a bun and tuck the ends underneath the bun.
- Use hair pins to secure so that they disappear under the bun, locking underneath and creating a little fortress so that the bun doesn't move around. If you have thick hair, the pins may not be as secure, so you can use an elastic. The elastic can then be disguised by wrapping the hair around it.
- Spray with John Frieda Frizz-Ease Moisture Barrier Firm-Hold Hair Spray ($6).
Tip: Once you've got this style set, you won't want to mess it up by touching it too much. If you have flyaways, grab an old toothbrush, spray it with hairspray and gently glide over hair.
Oscars 2012: The night in hair
Caring for your dry and damaged hair
What glasses work best for your hairstyle
Photo credit: Ivan Nikolov/WENN.com