We have a total crush on Nikki Reed's chic 'do. Find out why in this week's installment of Celeb Hairstyle of the Week!
I'm a big fan of hairstyles with a twist, aren't you? Simple styles combined with classy hair accessories and 'dos that don't necessarily look special from the front, but wow you in the back are always fun to follow. I recently spotted Nikki Reed wearing this business in the front, party in the back 'do and have fallen hard! I turned to George Gonzalez of George the Salon Chicago for his step-by-step tips for getting the look. Have fun recreating!
Get the look
"The key to this style is making sure you begin with texture as opposed to straight hair. Adding in waves will set the stage for the perfect base," Gonzalez says.
- To begin, work with your natural texture by misting your entire mane with a beach spray. This will add the texture and volume you need while encouraging curls to form. If your hair is naturally straight or fine, curl your tresses with a 1-inch iron. Since you will be creating an updo, the curls do not need to be perfect, so just have fun with it. Alternate wave patterns, take different-sized sections, etc.
- Create a side part and then divide and clip hair into four parts: nape, sides and top.
- Have your bobby pins handy and get ready to twist. Start with the top area and really allow your creative side to lead the way. Twist pieces up and over to make sure there is height at the crown area.
- Continue releasing the side sections and work your way to the bottom. As you bring the waves back, use your fingers to “rake” through the hair and begin twisting different sized sections towards the middle of the strand to the end. You do not want the twist to start too close to the root.
- As you pin, bring sections up and over each other and then tuck others under. For larger sections of hair, crisscross bobby pins to keep the loops in place.
- Finish the style by misting with a flexible hold hairspray for extra shine and to tame any flyaways.
More 'dos we love
Kate Middleton's twisted half updo
Maia Mitchell's fun hair accessory
Emma Watson's braided updo
Photo credits: WireImage